TripAdvisor
Brae
Post
Inbox
Search

“best fish n chips in Shetland”

Frankie's Fish and Chip Cafe and Takeaway
Ranked #1 of 1 Quick Bites in Brae
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: UK's No 1 Fish & Chip Shop 2015 The most northerly and national award winning fish and chip shop in the UK. Our premises is modern, contemporary and purpose built and located in the rural community of Brae in Shetland, where we are the only fish and chip shop within a 25 mile radius. Our takeaway has full disabled access. We have a 24 seat cafe with excellent sea views and outside seating. We are passionate about sourcing and serving local and sustainable seafood. We offer MSC haddock, mussels, scallops, & crab,also squid, langoustines and many more delicious daily specials. Open 0900-2000 Mon-Sat and 1200-2000 Sun.
Reviewed August 13, 2015 via mobile

came back several times for FnC. Was a big hit with the kids as well as with the adults. clean, quick, easy to access just off the main road...

Date of visit: August 2015
Write a reviewReviews (543)

Reviewed August 13, 2015

We had been to a family funeral which was an all day affair, so on the way back home we decided to book a table at Frankie's Fish & Chip Café & Takeaway and had an amazing Battered Smoked Haddock Supper, talk about comfort food! That was the Bee's Knees

Date of visit: May 2015
Reviewed August 12, 2015

The choice of food is unsurpassed for a chip shop in Shetland and generally of very high quality. All seafood dishes brilliant! I recommend the mussels and the langoustine when they have it as specials. They also do nice soup and homebakes and it's a nicer setting to sit-in than most places of this type. Very child-friendly (special menu etc) with nice staff but can be insanely busy at peak times so be prepared to wait it out if you want a table.

If you want the real fish,n,chip shop experience (traditional, paper wrapping, greasy mouth, food coma inducing etc) then don't go come here. Their portions are not as big as most and chips slightly different from normal traditionl chip shops. Some people may prefer them though! It's also quite a luxury to eat here if you have a big family. An average meal and beverage would be over £10.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed August 9, 2015

So we got a take away order from here today. We live in Lerwick so never thought to make a trip this long to get our tea but we after hearing all the good reviews we thought we'd make a trip up and see what we thought.
The staff were lovely, very friendly and welcoming, and the prices are pretty good. Its after receiving our order that things went down hill.
Driving home my daughter kept asking me what we got her. We told her about the kids box which contained scampi, chips, juice and a toy as said on their menu. Both got very excited about their boxes and were talking about it most of the way home. When we finally made it back, I left my sister to get the kids ready for tea. I opened one of the boxes to serve and noticed the juice was missing. A little annoyed I then opened the next box to see that one was missing too! After paying full price I would of thought you'd expect them to be in the box. So I called the kids in and sat them down. The first thing my daughter asks me is 'Mam, wheres my juice'. This sets my son off too. My daughter was looking forward to her juice and was left very disappointed.
Then I opened my breaded fish and chips but found it a bit dry. I turned it over and found it was over cooked on the bottom, almost burnt! I have to say that I did expect more from an award winning fish and chip shop. It wasn't just me left disappointed, it was my kids too. If I do decided to come again then I will be checking everything before I leave and not wait until I get home.

Date of visit: August 2015
1  Thank Hexeenna
Reviewed July 31, 2015 via mobile

Whenever I come home to Shetland I do like to take a trip to Frankies because I love the variety that they do. This time when I went they had crab claws and langoustine tails. However I went for a peerie fish supper, now the fish, while fresh is very small and I think the staff could be a bit better and more cheerful, even when it's busy. I've worked in a chippie before and we were always laughing with the customers.

The food is good and fresh and the variety is excellent. As for people complaining about the grease and the smell, don't forget Frankies is above all else a CHIP SHOP. there's always grease and a smell at one of these places!

Good but not outstandingly excellent I'd say, it does always get hyped up in Shetland.

Date of visit: July 2015