The Punch Bowl Inn
  • Restaurant
Matfen Hall(Matfen)
$207
$129
Close House Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
TripAdvisor
Beamish Park Hotel(Marley Hill)
TripAdvisor
The Plough Inn(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe pubpunch bowlbeefgreat foodkitchen staffstaff are very friendly and helpfulwell worth a visitevening mealfew weekscycle rideroaring firepoached eggsmenulornalandlordbathdogs
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This pub is alright - decent real ale and good feel to the place. But the meal was average. Trout covered in cheap rubbery shrimp. Bangers and Mash were rather bland and for such an easy meal to make - this should have been much better.
Puddings were the best part of the meal and at £4.95 won't break the bank.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob M
Reviewed June 1, 2013

situated in the lovely Derwent Valley the area is ideal for a Sunday drive or any day for that matter. a friendly homely pub in a quiet village with real fires and pleasant atmosphere.
my family have visited many time and had Sunday lunch and other meals so had recommended this place to us. we visited and had a sunday lunch food was nicely prepared and cooked to perfection the only downside was not enough vegetables. This was soon solved when we asked for more they happily obliged. we still managed to keep enough space for desert which they make on site.
trip out in to the country but worth the journey for the meal

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dina98
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Never visited the Punch Bowl before, but heard excellent reports, so this is merely an observation of one lunch-time rather than a recommendation or otherwise. Staying with relatives in Consett they had sung the Punch Bowl's praises so we took Mum to her favourite venue. A very quiet day with only one other set of customers, but we were still very well received by the young bar-lady. Menu was extensive with several specials as well, mains priced just under or just over £10.

We'd been warned by Mum that meals could take some time as they would be cooked to order and so it proved. We were in no hurry so it didn't bother us at all, but I did wonder how we'd fare on say a busy evening. As I say that's just an observation. I'm sure they cope, as its popularity indicates. When they came, presentation was excellent, the two trout were large and I'm told tasted as good as they looked. I want to love every meal I eat, and certainly my vegetables were 100% and the mustard sauce delicious, but on this occasion the loin of pork, though perfectly well cooked, was a little stringy and not the juicy cut I'd hoped for. Also just unfortunate as I'm the one with the appetite that my portion was small!

I'm sure my minor disappointment isn't representative of everyday meat quality, but I had to speak as I found. I'd definitely visit again, and I'm sure on another day the 85% would be 95%. Regarding waiting I have to say that a couple came in just looking for sandwiches and were served very speedily with generously portioned sandwiches.

Edmundbyers is a pretty village in a beautiful location on the edge of the moors, so worth a visit just for that.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank davebellmk
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Been to the punch bowl many times, as a couple & for large family gatherings & its also always been really really good. However my husband & I went there for a midweek evening meal & I'm afraid to say I could have done better at home very disappointing. We won't be going back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sata251216
Chris B, Owner at The Punch Bowl Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Very concerned to read of your disappointment. We take pride in trying to provide the best we can at all times but I find it really difficult to correct a problem after the guest has left without passing comment at the time. If comment had been made then I feel certain that we could have gone at least some way to make up for that disappointment.
Having visited 'many times before' and always having enjoyed those occasions I find it sad that we are not allowed any perceived mistake.
Again, if there is a problem, surely it is better to report it at the time so that we are at least given the opportunity to put it right.
I would hope that a one off disappointment should not be an indication of a no return.

Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while cycling the c2c, which is well positioned for that route
Chris and moira can not help you enough
Dinner and breakfast where wonderful and the rooms are quiet and a good standard
Will stay again