All reviews black pudding professional chef scones hadrian's wall perfect hosts sitting room fresh fruit salad evening meal home grown fabulous food comfortable surroundings private bathroom kippers excellent hospitality gold standard locally sourced ingredients special dinner
Selected filters
Reviewed May 12, 2019

Pauline and John made every effort possible to help 4 weary cyclist enjoy a night out of the wind and the rain. A lovely place for walkers or cyclists to get a nights relaxation and some fine dining. John is a professional chef, enjoying what he does so well... a great diner, followed by a wonderful breakfast, including the finest kippers..... just beware if you are going West to East, its a bit of a shock the climb out to the wall after such a substantial breakfast. Thanks so much....

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Pauline E, Owner at Henshaw Barn B & B, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2019

Our thanks for your kind and generous review.

We are SO pleased that we were able to provide you with a warm and comfortable refuge after the rigours of your day (rain, rain,and more rain!!! Not the best!) - but we were very glad and happy to provideyou with a warm and dry welcome,to be followed later with the warmth and succour of good wine and fine dining.

Were you to return to this very lovely part of the UK, then it woulld be lovely to see you again.

Our very best, Pauline and John

Reviewed February 16, 2019

Pauline and John are the perfect hosts. We stayed here 2 years ago and recently returned for a 3 night stay for my wife’s birthday. We were privileged to discover that although they wer officially closed, they were happy to see us again. John’s cooking is amazing. Everything was perfect. Can’t recommend too highly.

Room tip: Both rooms are lovely. We stayed in the Granary double.
Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Pauline E, Owner at Henshaw Barn B & B, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2019

What a super start to the new season! Thankyou so much for your very lovely review.

And although you were 'out of season' so to speak - you were returning guests - and it was a real pleasure to see you again - and be given the chance to contribute and be part of the birthday celebrations.
And what a lovely time we had....low key, convivial, pleasant and relaxing....and very much OUR privilege to be able to welcome you back.......And to know that 'everything was perfect' is the absolute best. THANKYOU!

We hope you will keep in touch, and we send our thanks and warmest wishes to you both,
Pauline and John.

Reviewed November 6, 2018

I stayed at Henshaw Barn in November 2018 for 5 nights whilst I visited my daughter who lives nearby. Pauline and John were the perfect hosts and from the moment I arrived I felt at home. The accommodation is absolutely excellent; beautiful, comfortable, spotlessly clean and with great thought given to the furnishings and amenities. I really had absolutely everything I needed. John is an amazing professional chef and the breakfasts provided are just fantastic.. the best Eggs Benedict I have ever eaten! I was sorry that I didn’t have the time to sample the evening menu as it looked fabulous. John and Pauline made me feel so welcome and took time to chat with me each evening when I returned. I really felt as if I was staying with friends. I would thoroughly recommend Henshaw Barn, and am already planning a return visit. Thank you Pauline and John, you are fabulous! See you soon :)

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Pauline E, Owner at Henshaw Barn B & B, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2019

And in turn - our thanks to you for posting such a fabulous review following upon your late season visit.
And as you were travelling alone on that occasion, and we had no other guests at the time, we are glad that you quickly felt very much 'at home'.
It was lovely to share some time with you - to meet your daughter - and to learn about your future plans. Such exciting and happy times ahead! And perhaps you WILL manage that second visit..........when it would be such a treat to see you again.

It was our good fortune to meet you - and we very much appreciate your kind and gracious comments, and your glowing recommendations.

Our thanks and best wishes, Pauline and John.

Reviewed November 2, 2018

We stayed at Henshaw Barn during a break from Hadrian's Wall and arrived exhausted to be given strong tea and home-made scones. Just what we needed! That set the tone of the whole stay, with comfortable accommodation, superb food and a lovely welcoming ambience. We will definitely return.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Therese B
Pauline E, Owner at Henshaw Barn B & B, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2019

You contacted us from 'down under' well ahead of what became your two night stay with us, and it was such a joy to have your company so late in the season, especially as you did not regret staying the extra night - which then enabled you to expand on your original quite limited itinerary (a result of your initial quite tight schedule.)
And what a lovely, and very relaxing time we had - and it was so nice to find how very taken you were with all things Roman, and with the majesty and grandeur of the surrounding area.
We are so pleased that you felt comfortable and at ease in our home.........and certainly, it would be a great pleasure to see you again were you able to return.......
Our warmest thanks for taking the time to write such a positive and upbeat review.
With all our good wishes, Pauline and John.

Reviewed November 2, 2018

I stayed earlier this year with Pauline and John and promised them a review but all I am going to say is my whole experience was excellent: from their initial welcome, the cleanliness of my room, the quality of the decor and fittings, and the tasty breakfast with its ample choice (do try John’s Black Pudding).
Hexham is the nearest town and has several nice eateries BUT if you want an excellent evening meal you do not have to go to town. Trust me when I say John is an excellent chef, chose from their menu and you will not be disappointed.
An excellent B&B, and I have stayed in many, I am only sorry Pauline and John that it took me so long to write this review. You deserve it.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Pauline E, Owner at Henshaw Barn B & B, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2019

I must immediately apologise for taking so long to respond to your lovely review.

I have a very clear recollection of your visit, even though it was months ago. Sadly your busy schedule only enabled you a brief one night stay with us........but it was a real pleasure to meet you.
And taking on board your wealth of experience as you transport visitors to so many wonderful places of interest within the U.K. it was a very special pleasure to be the recipient of your kind words - and very gracious of you to write such a direct, sincere, and honest review.

With many thanks, and all good wishes from both of us.
Pauline and John.