Tripadvisor
Peterston-Super-Ely
Post
Inbox
Search

“The most friendly, hospitable venue in South Wales”

The Sportsmans Rest
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Sportsmans Rest We pride ourselves on being a traditional county pub offering great food, drink and customer service. A true family friendly pub. We have great deals available, from our 2 courses special offers to our Mid-week lunchtime offers. Please visit our What's on page for more details. We offer a warm welcome to all!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I love this pub. When we visit our friends in Peterston-Super-Ely, it’s the only place to go for a fun, family day or evening!

The staff are friendly and the owners Huw and Sandra are so welcoming and it’s like coming home!

I would highly recommend this pub to anyone visiting South Wales!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (139)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We have been coming to this pub for years (over 20 years) and always had a warm welcome with lovely food. It saddens me to read comments about rudeness and unprofessionalism as we have NEVER experienced that at the Sportsmans. We have also NEVER seen or heard any racism. Please don't base your choice on these recent comments, our meal tonight was gorgeous and the welcome warm. There must be people out there who simply just cannot be pleased.

3  Thank Louise R
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I didn't expect racism around Wales but it happened. The first time I visited the pub I could see that the aged blond lady at the bar was not particularly happy or friendly in my presence and that I was instantly spotted as non-Welsh, as a foreigner. The looks were weird and the behaviour unfriendly basically rude serving, but decided not to pay attention. The second time however things got out of control. Last Sunday me and my friend visited the pub for a roast as the first time we had Sunday lunch in this pub, it was terrific. Although it might sound unbelievable, the moment we stepped in the pub, the same aged blond lady which I think is the landlord, made a signal (!!!!!!!!) to her waitresses not to come for an order to our table......!!!! We very soon realised that something was really wrong as waitors were passing by without serving other tables and ignoring us completely although the pub was almost empty as it was already around 4pm. I had to make a loud request for somebody to come take our order while for a moment I thought should just leave as it was at least rediculous watching the waitors watching us puzzled without knowing what to do because of their employer's unprecedented orders!!!!!!!!!!
The food they served us that day was not even warm, I wouldn't be surprised if she had spitted in as well. Disgrace. Such a shame indeed. In a village with just two pubs, where its the only places around to go for food or a drink and one of these two is run by shamefull uncivilised uncultured people that make normal people simply never go back.

5  Thank Marina S
Reviewed January 2, 2020

Always come here for lunch with my auntie. Food is always outstanding and the service is fab, friendly and funny staff who which make you feel very comfortable and welcomed. A lovely chilled out environment, our favourite place to chill out and catch up

Reviewed December 27, 2019

So disappointed. Badly laid table, one waitress so slow service, really poor food. It was badly cooked and poorly presented. Ordered sole and it came with onion gravy and all the vegetables from a roast lunch plus a Yorkshire pudding. When I said that the meal wasn’t as I expected the chef took the Yorkshire pudding off the plate and threw it across the room. The pub was very quiet and I can see why. Never again! We left ASAP!

Date of visit: December 2019