Harbour House Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Seabreeze Inne(Salt Spring Island)
View Hotel
All reviewssalt spring islandgas fireplacesaturday marketbeautiful viewbalconyharbourgardensaltspringpubfurnishingsferrysuppliesvancouvervictoria
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Spent a couple nights here while we toured Salt Spring Island for the first time. Absolutely beautiful Island. This hotel's location is ideal as it is very close to town (20 min walk) and to the ferry.

Firstly, I don't think I've had a better meal than what was served at their restaurant. Fresh from the farm to my plate. Just terrific food, flavour, presentation and service. We dined here for breakfast and dinner. I highly recommend the traditional benny. They make just about everything in house; even the hot sauce.

The harbour view rooms were booked so we had a standard view that looked towards the parking lot.

The room was quite average. There is no A/C so we were happy the room received minimal sun and stayed relatively cool. There was a small fan in the room that helped us sleep. There is no mini fridge or safe. There was an old tube TV that worked fine and a coffee maker. Everything was clean; however, there was a very stale smell in the staircase leading up to our room on the 2nd floor. I believe it's time to replace the carpets.

I'm not sure what other rooms are like but I've never slept on such a hard bed before in my life. It was so hard and 'springy' that I actually slept on the couch. I don't like to complain, and as well, they were fully booked, so I made due. I'll play devil's advocate and assume it bothered me more than the average person due to old back injuries. My wife; however, enjoyed having the bed to herself.

For $170/night (tax incl.) it was not a bad deal considering competitive hotels/B&B's were asking nearly $500/night for a basic room.

Although I may look for alternative accommodation, you better believe I'll be back for the restaurant.

Two recommendations to the owners: Please replace the mattresses with something a little softer and less springy and please replace the carpets.

Cheers,

Room Tip: You'll pay more but a harbour view room may be worth it.
1  Thank Lagin_Vancouver
Reviewed July 25, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Harbour House for a wedding, which the entire place was booked solid for. It was a really cool vibe to have the Hotel and the Restaurant buzzing with people on Salt Spring for the same celebration. I found the location perfect ... a close walk to coffee, restaurants, the Saturday market and other shops. The Restaurant is great and the room are simple, but clean, comfortable and cozy.

Big fan and would stay here again anytime.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Great place to stay. Wife and I took deluxe suite on two separate occasions and both times were enjoyable. Salt spring Island is a nice place to go "get away from it all".

Both times we have stayed the rooms were clean and tidy (with small exceptions, see below). The restaurant served good food, and everyone was courteous and pleasant to deal with on a casual level. This hotel is nice but doesn't come off as stuffy or hoity toity.

Two grievances I did have were:

1) Deluxe Rooms are a bit dark. Pictures of the deluxe room look very bright and warm on the website. Actual room appearance was dim and almost drab. It's fine at night. but you feel like you're in a cave during the day.

2) On both occasions, the balconies had small bits of trash on or around them. On the first occasion we found a bunch of cigarette butts in the plant holders on the balcony No big deal, but looked bad. It's supposed to be a non smoking facility. The second time there were two beer caps on the balcony rail as well as a butt from a joint Again, it's supposed to be a nonsmoking facility. These things in themselves didn't bother us. But, it shows a lack of attention to detail when it comes to these areas. It leads me to wonder what else is being missed.

These 2 grievances are small and won't keep us from coming back. But you can be sure it'll be the first thing i check when we arrive again.

1  Thank Rene K
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed at Harbour House for a wedding and were so impressed.
The view was fabulous, but also the food. Everything sourced from their own garden or locally.
The chef at Harbour House is very creative in flavour matching and presentation.
The staff are really pleasant, and the location is perfect, we did not need a car, walking distance to the market.
We would stay here again..

Room Tip: Harbour view room for sure.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Went on a weekend trip with my older sister and her husband and my younger sister, so we had two rooms. I believe we got this trip on group on a while ago. My older dieter and her husband got the larger room (which was downstairs) my younger sister and I had a smaller room upstairs. The upstairs room had a way nicer view. So if going there I would defiantly would recommend an upstairs room.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family