Bathurst Arms
$53
Travelodge
$83
$74
Corinium Hotel & Restaurant(Cirencester)(Great Value!)
$148
Barnsley House(Barnsley)
$402
$389
Travelocity
Premier Inn Cirencester(Cirencester)(Great Value!)
$70
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
Riverside House(Cirencester)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe pubcoaching housewhitebaitenjoyable lunchbeer gardeneach eveningbed was very comfortablesunday lunchwine listwood burnerfull englishgreat weekendtea and coffeeworth a visitcricket teamcar parkordering food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed at the pub at the end of May using the pub's midweek deal for room, breakfast and dinner for three nights. We are surprised by the negative comments in the threads below; our stay was great and we've been recommending the place to our friends.

Our room had been recently decorated and was small but clean and pleasant. The staff were really polite and friendly.

The best thing about our stay was the food and drink. There is a great selection of local ales as well as a well thought out wine list. The food was excellent, a really good choice of breakfasts including local sausages and kippers. Evening meals were tasty, and the whole package was amazing value for money. Again, comments below about the prices being too high don't match with what we experienced.

We'd highly recommend the pub and are looking forward to going back.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here last month and came away with what we can only assume to be bedbugs! I guess they don't change their sheets often enough?
I tried to talk to the manager about it but he just drove off in his impressive 4x4. I think he might have been on his way to give a lecture on the finer points of vehicle excise duty, as he reportedly has a firm understanding of the topic.
It's a shame really, if he had spent a bit more time learning about hygiene instead of the way the roads are funded, he might have a more desirable place for his patrons to sleep.
Don't get me started on the pub, the night we had there was one of the most embarrassing experiences of my life. I just don't understand why some people (the very same manager no less! I think his name was James Walker?) insist on doing things like that in public. The poor chickens can't defend themselves!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank mike h
Reviewed July 16, 2013

For the prices at this place, you'd expect the glasses and plates and cutlery to be clean, at least. The staff get really naggy when you [politely] point it out to them, too. We found them sullen, rude and unhelpful. As there are plenty of other places to go in the area, we won't be going here any time soon.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Doooog
Reviewed June 5, 2013

How does the song go? "What a difference a day makes"? Well , what a difference a bill makes. Stayed here in Room 7 on the dinner bed and breakfast deal on 27th and 28th May. The room was clean, comfortable and had tea/coffee making facilities and bottled water and the lack of TV was not a problem as we had come to enjoy the peace and quiet of the area.

Having read the menus on line, we were looking forward to the food which in the event was good quality but very unimaginative (eg. gammon and pineapple with chips, chicken pie with new potatoes) - hardly the height of gastronomy.

The owner James was pleasant and welcoming but no wine menus were forthcoming and I asked for a large glass of red wine - James said that he would proffer something "interesting" which turned out to be acceptable but unremarkable.

We discovered immediately that our loo only flushed itermittently and we reported this the following day. We were told that this was a known problem and they would have a look at it but were given a quick course on how to make it work - take the cistern lid off and hold down the float until the overflow was filled. This, we were assured worked everytime and it did. Have to say, it's the first time I've ever had to undertake plumbing in a hotel room but we didn't make a fuss and just did it.

Breakfast was excellent but the choice of food on the second night was again limited and some items rehashed from the night before eg. spring vegetable broth. We chose a goat's cheese starter which was good but quite 'sloppy' and I asked the waitress for bread as none had been offered. We received two and a half thin slices from a French stick and thought no more about it.

The following morning, I was horrified to see on the bill that the "interesting"wine was £7.20 per glass and the house wine £6.20 per glass, but put this down to my own fault for not insisting on a wine menu. However, the final straw was seeing that we had been charged 50p for the 'extra' bread. I mentioned to the staff member that I was very surprised that we had been charged for this, particularly given our non-working loo. The reply was that 'the chefs go mad if we don't put everything through. I thought it strange that the chefs dictated the charging policy and asked if the owner James was around. I was told that he wasn't on duty that morning and that he had 'gone upstairs'. I waited for the girl to go upstairs and get James but this was clearly not going to happen - at which point I decided never to darken their doors again and post a review on this forum. Have they ever heard of customer service? Suffice it to say that a reasonaby favourable impression was quickly and irrevocably reduced to ashes.

13  Thank Julia R
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We dined out at the Bathurst Arms 2 weeks ago on a Saturday night. We live in Cirencester and this was our favourite pub. I can honestly say it was a total disappointment from start to finish. Upon arrival, we had a drink in the bar and then went through to the restaurant to look at menus. The restaurant was virtually empty (a first) and the staff seemed very young and uninterested - not the young, bright efficient crew we are used to. We ordered and when our food arrived it was very average - not what you'd expect when you are paying London prices. We didn't complain - we can only assume that the pub has changed hands perhaps or that there has been recent high staff turnover. In short, I wouldn't return here - it was a fantastic pub, great food and fantastic atmosphere. Sadly this was not the case when we were last there.

15  Thank caroline882