Open today: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Review Highlights
REALLY ENJOYABLE TRIP

About 3 years ago we spent a day with Pau Lucio and decided to book 2 day trips during our Xmas/New... read more

Reviewed January 10, 2019
JOHN71007
MATLOCK
Super birding trip from Valencia to Alicante

Reviewed October 14, 2017
DandSAlberta
Calgary

All reviews afternoon valencia pau birdwatching species
Selected filters
Reviewed October 14, 2017

My wife and I stumbled across Pau's information on the internet and contacted him by email looking for a visit to Albufera. He was prompt in his reply (fortunately in English) and we finally agreed on a three day trip. He picked us up in Valencia and 3 days later dropped us off at Alicante Airport. The trip was fabulous - Pau's knowledge, attention to detail in arranging visits to a wide variety of eco-systems, his communication in English, the weather, the scenery and the birds all contributed to a marvellous trip. Visiting two ringing (banding) sites was a particular highlight giving the chance to see a number of warbler species up close.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank DandSAlberta
Birdwatching Sp... P, Gerente at Birdwatching Spain, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2017

Many thanks Dave and Susan for taking your time to write the rewiew. I greatly appreciate your company and I am hoping to visit you in the near future.

Best regards

Reviewed May 6, 2017 via mobile

I was on a business trip and a had an afternoon free when some colleagues went playing golf. I managed to convince two of them to try birding instead of golfing. Pau took us to Pego Marshes and we enjoyed a great afternoon seeing mainly herons, egrets with the odd wader, Marsh Harrier, Short Toed Eagle, Collared Pratincole, along with other migrants and dragon flies.
A trip in to the wineyards and orchards on the way back revealed beeater, Golden Oriole, Woodchat Shrike and 5 species of orchid.
We all enjoyed the trip and Pau was very knowledgeable and patient with a couple of novices!

Date of experience: May 2017
1  Thank Flyer709161
Birdwatching Sp... P, Gerente at Birdwatching Spain, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2017

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the review and convincing your colleagues to join in. This might have spark their interest in wildlife!
I had a great day with you and I am pleased we saw a bit of everything.

All the best

Reviewed May 3, 2017

I have just returned home from a very enjoyable 5 days spent with Pau who is very knowledgable in his subjects and I saw a total of 137 bird species including many rarities and interesting passing migrants (some even possibly on their way to Britain) - Pau collected me from Valencia Airport and sorted out a very good hotel for my stay, he collected me each morning and took me to the different areas for the different specialist habitats and put up with my constant questions and annoying attempts to photograph literally anything that moved!
The weather was unseasonably wet and cold when I arrived but nevertheless that did not deter us and I had taken appropriate clothing just in case.
Day 1 in 'appropriately called' wetland areas of Marjal del Moro and Tancat de Millia revealed interesting birds like native White Headed Duck, Squacco Heron, Greater Flamingo were everywhere, Curlew Sandpiper and Spotted Redshank in beautiful breeding plumage, Gull-Billed and Whiskered Tern as well as a dozen Turtle Dove to name a few.
Day 2 we went to Laguna Petrola and the surrounding higher altitude Steppes areas and despite the persistent drizzle and wind chill making it feel even colder it did not dampen our spirits and revealed some real gems including Black-necked Grebe, a fabulous Great Bustard in flight then another 8 seen through the bins in a distant field then 4 Stone-Curlew in flight then 2 of them landing in the fields for us to see standing perfectly still and/or hiding in the ploughed furrows. Wood Sandpiper, Thekla,Short-Toed and Calandra Lark, Tawny Pipit, Whinchat and Black Kite just for good measure.
Day 3 was spent at Santa Pola Saltpans, El Fonda reserve and Crebillentes Mountain areas for Marbled Teal, Cattle Egret, Night Heron, Red-Knobbed Coot, Slender-Billed, Mediterranean and Little Gull (much to Pau's surprise), Crested Lark, Sardinian, Cetti's and Great Reed Warbler, Chough in flight, Golden Oriole, Blue Rock Thrush, a fleeting Bearded Reedling and 2 Spoonbill in flight earlier in the day.
Day 4 in the Alforenes and Mariolli Mountains revealed further gems like Lesser Kestrel, Rock Sparrow, Peregrine flew over, Booted and Bonelli's Eagle, Woodlark, Rock Bunting, Crag Martin, Firecrest, Excellent views of Crested Tit (without the neck-ache!) and Griffon Vulture + Raven in flight to finish another fine day.
Day 5 was at Xeresa Marjal and back to Marjal Del Moro for more Purple Swamphen, Short-Toed Eagle, fantastic views of Collared Pratincole, Little Tern, Redstart and Wheatear passing through, Savi's Warbler, Iberian Grey Shrike and other oddities were Common Waxbill and Ring-Necked Parakeet.
On my way to the Airport on my return home on day 6 we even had time to stop in Cullera for excellent views of a colony of Pallid Swift who have set up home in the roof of a town centre school building.
All in all a thoroughly enjoyable time, thanks again Pau and I think you have now sold me on the Spanish delicacy called Tapas!
Best Wishes with your future tours and let me know if you get the details from the leg ring I photographed on that Flamingo!
Kind Regards, Chris

Date of experience: April 2017
1  Thank Chris H

Hi Chris,
Many thank you for taking the time to share such a complete review. I really appreciate it.
I am very glad you had a good time, I had too! I am still waiting to get the details of the Flamingos. Nevertheless, I have done some research and the one you photographed is from Catalunya. The other 2 we saw in the Salt Pans are Italian!!! It is amazing the distance they can travel searching for food.

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 28, 2017

My wife and I booked Pau for a day birding in the Pego Marshes, mid-March, 2017. He picked us up punctually from outside our apartment and were soon on site. Flocks of cranes and glossy ibis were easy to see. More difficult were the plovers and wagtails as they blended in with the rice fields being prepared for planting. Further exploration gave us a booted eagle and a distant hen harrier.
After a coffee in a friendly bar in Pego, it was off up the mountain road behind the town towards Vall D'Ebo. We took a hill top track stopping to look at orchids. The firecrest was a good spot before lunch.
After, we went downhill to Vall D'Ebo itself and took a country lane in the valley. Plentiful country birds were to be seen and Pau was excellent in pointing out the orchids and unusual plants. A further ramble, again where the semi-abandoned field systems had not been treated with chemicals, Pau netted some wonderful butterflies. To us amateurs they looked like small white butterflies but a closer examination showed the wonderful patterns and colours of their wings.
So, it was time to head back to th apartment. However, before we hit the costas, Pau had one more trick up his sleeve. Only a few miles from the bustling resort, again where the fields had not had pesticide and fertilisers, etc, applied, another batch of several types of orchid.
Thanks, Pau, a day that we will long remember. We can unreservedly recommend Pau as a guide. Professional, caring, very knowledgeable, and with top linguistic skills.
Can we wait til next spring or shall we find an excuse to see Pau this autumn?

Date of experience: March 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a great review! I really appreciate it.
I have to say that I really had a great day with both of you. I am certainly look forward to meeting you back in the very near future.

All the best

Reviewed April 11, 2017 via mobile

I returned to the La Zenia, Costa Blanca area last week for a seven day family holiday.
I have always been a very keen birder, so took the opportunity to visit some birding sites.
Top of the list was El Hondo, a reserve which is the prime birdwatching location of the whole area.
Birds can be seen throughout the year, with Spring and Autumn migration and the winter months the best times.
I thoroughly enjoyed my visits, with some great birds seen.

Date of experience: April 2017