“Perfect Hotel”
Review of Marea Brava

Marea Brava
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I really love this place. The location is amazing, the rooms are big/cheap and there are great vibes from the staff. I stay at marea brava and surf conveniently in the front of the hotel. The view from the balcony is amazing and although everything is not as 5 star as would be expected on a lush vacation, the stay feels royal.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Marea Brava is awesome!!!! Not sure what else there is to be said! The condos with balconies overlooking beautiful Playa Hermosa allow views of the waves in the morning and the best sunsets I've ever seen in the evening. You are just steps away from the beach or pools! One of which has a swim up bar!! The hotel feels private being toward one end of the beach, but is also within a 2 minute walk to the best restaurants. The staff was super friendly and we had clean linens when we got back from our surf sessions every day. I felt extremely safe and comfortable my whole trip and will be bringing my family back to enjoy this slice of paradise very soon!! I have stayed in a few other hotels in the Jaco/Hermosa area and Marea Brava is by far the best! If you come to Playa Hermosa, stay at Marea Brava, you will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: The condo balconies have the best view in Hermosa!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We began our week long trip having booked a stay at another place on Hermosa beach which turned out to be an absolute disaster. We checked every place along the beach for a change of accommodations and the last place we looked, at the end of the street (very private and secluded) was Marea Brava!!! Man, did we hit the jackpot! We stayed the rest of the week in a huge condo with a third-floor balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean (amazing sunsets). I would guess the condo was around 1200 ft.² with high end finishes, huge kitchen and multiple air conditioning units (which is a rare in Hermosa), beautiful bathroom and large bedrooms. The owner was on-site and all of the staff was extremely helpful and courteous, we had fresh linens and towels daily, and anything else we needed was just a trip down to the lobby to ask for it! This trip was a surfing trip for me with my buddies but I will definitely be bringing my family back to this establishment! I have been to Costa Rica numerous times, and this is by far the best place I've ever stayed! There are two pools, one with a swim up bar that was under construction while we were there. I can't say enough good things about this place and I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a surf trip or a family getaway. By the way, there is terrific surfing just 100 yards from your back porch!!! Jamey, the owner was so gracious to us and personally gave us a tour of the place! Great guy!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the condos facing the beach. I believe there are 3 different floor plans and it...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I don't know where to start on how great Marea Brava is. All the staff make you feel at home and loved and take care of your every need on the double!! The Rooms are clean HUGE i mean HUGE!!!!!!!!!! and some with balcony's over looking the beach and that Sunset every night. All rooms have working AC units all over the room unlike most hotels. Getting fresh sheets,fresh towels and a fresh smelling room after coming back from the day is amazing!! I have been coming to this place for 5 years now over 3 times a year and not once was i ever Let down with any amenity or service. Your wish is there Command, taking care of you pickup from the airport and drop off and anywhere you need to go during your trip they will have a driver waiting for you if its a Taxi or the Marea Brava driver AKA Thomas the best guy in the world!! who will do anything for you at any time. Like when my friend was sick and needed medicine at 2:00am Thomas got out of bed and went to the Pharmacy and got him what he needed so he can enjoy the rest of his stay. The house keeping ladies are so trust worthy not having to hid all my money and my Laptop etc.. is a blessing. i leave my valuables out all day and never ever in my 5 years was a penny stolen or moved. the pools yes there are 2!!! are always looking fresh and clean. and yes one of them has bar inside with Stools!!!! this beach front hotel is without a question the best place to stay in Costa Rica!! Take this from a guy who comes all the time all seasons a year and with all crowds or people from family to friends to surf trips to business trips etc.. any stay Marea brava is the spot!!!

hope to see you there!!!!!!

Room Tip: get the condo with the balcony and beach view
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is the nicest place I've ever stayed in Costa Rica! The air conditioning, the people, the service, the nice showers and much more. It's a perfect place to stay to enjoy a clean, fun time in Costa Rica. Jaco is just 10 min away if u want to go out at night but if u want to just enjoy Hermosa there's places and local restaurants to go in town too that u can walk too. It's the perfection destination for a family or just a group of buddies on a surf trip. With the 2 pools they have its a perfect place for the kids to hang with mom while the dad surfs out front. It was really the perfect place to stay and I am def going back there again!

Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 10 days. I shared a room with 3 other people and we all had plenty of room and huge balcony overlooking the ocean. Two pools, one big one small. The big one tends to get crowded on weekends. I saw so many macaws flying overhead and tons of pelicans. Walking distance to many restaurants which I liked a lot. Poolside drinks are the best! Ask for Thomas! Also, Thomas picked us up from the airport so we didn't have to wait for transportation...awesome!
Overall this place is a great spot to relax and to see some wildlife. Very helpful and caring staff. The owner was very friendly and wanted to make sure our stay was enjoyable, which it was.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Marea brava is my one and only place to stay when visiting Costa Rica.

I just visited and can say that it was my best trip that I have ever had there. The staff was was so nice from the minute we arrived. Keynar at the front desk upgraded me and my wife to the penthouse with the beach view for free. The room was great. spacious, clean, and it was deffinatly nice to have a full kitchen as well.

The hotel is deffinately in the best location possible in hermosa. Steps from the best surfing beach around. It is walking distance to all the great restaurants,and Its nicely separated from the other hotels in hermosa which are crammed next to each other.
Me and my wife really enjoyed just hanging by the pools. Comfy lounge chairs, free wifi, and a great view of the sunset. Also have to mention that there is a full bar right next to it. Thomas served us drinks all week and gave us some great deals, including some blended drinks that were bigger than out heads. No joke.

For me I know hermosa and jaco pretty well by now, but if you need help with anything the Marea staff is there for you. I like that everyone speaks English and is knowledgable of everything around them. This place is a gem. If you stay here tell everyone I say hi!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Hermosa
Hotel Tramonto
#17 of 40 in Jaco
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort

Been to Marea Brava? Share your experiences!