New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Marea Brava

Marea Brava
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
“Breathtaking views, great rooms!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had an amazing experience at Marea Brava- upon checking in, the owner immediately upgraded us to a penthouse. It was BEAUTIFUL! Ocean front, huge balcony with a swing, bar, and double lounger. It was so spacious- 3 bedrooms, a huge living area with a nice sectional, a dining room, and FULL kitchen! The bed was fabulous- a rare find in Costa! We got the best night's sleep with that comfortable bed and the waves crashing on the beach.
Another typical problem in Costa was not an issue at all at Marea Brava- their showers were hot and the water pressure was superb. I saw NO bugs- also amazing for Costa Rica!
They have several pools, we enjoyed the sunnier one, trying to get as tan as possible before we returned. The pool shaded by trees had WiFi access.
Our room/penthouse was beautiful- see my photos I uploaded of the gorgeous mural painted in the master bedroom!
Marea Brava was the perfect beach getaway for us- we loved everything about it, and we will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: We loved B5- the sunset view was spectacular, the master bedroom has a gorgeous mural and the bed is...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Pass
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

There are some hotels that give up on any maintenance since they are in such a nice location and they will always be able to count on customers... this is one of them. The place has not seen any refurbishing for a long time. The main pool was extremely dirty, full of locals getting drunk and being really loud. The internet was very slow, only around the reception. There is no breakfast available, and the air-conditioning does not work. They charged an extraordinary amount of money for basically no service. I will never go back...

Room Tip: Just don't go there!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ChristineCharlotte
hilo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed last week for 2 nights and had a great experience. The room was in great shape and there was no problems. The only slight complaint was the lady that worked the front desk...she needs a lesson in dealing with customers. The owner Jamey was great !

Room Tip: Stay in the condos
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Today is the last day of my stay here at Marea Brava resort. From the second myself and my driend arrived we were greeted warmly and provided exceptional personalized service. We rented a penthouse with an ocean view. All I can say is the accomodations were great. Large bedrooms, huge living room with a full kitchen and a lounge area on the back deck. This is my fourth time staying at the resort and every time it just gets better and better. I am sorry my stay is over but I look with anticipation until my next vacation here soon.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Magricela
MareaBrava, Gerente at Marea Brava, responded to this review, January 13, 2015
Dear friend, thank you very much for your warm review. It make us feel very proud to be part of the short list of savvy travelers like you and make us work even harder to stay as close as we can to excellency. . We hope to see you back soon with us. Have a great day. info@mareabravacostarica.com
Bay Ridge, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We arrived here late at night, were led to our room on the top of three floors by flashlight because the lightbulbs had burnt out, we looked around our room and found that the sheets were dirty and the place was poorly maintained. I was so disgusted that I wanted to leave but having already pre-paid for two nights we slept on the couch. The next day, in the daylight the beauty of the place was revealed. It is a beautiful location and the pool is very nice. We were able to change rooms and it was an improvement though not worth the money we were paying. We decided that would be the last night staying there and we left for another hotel.
I would say that this is a place to come with a large group, almost like a camping lodge, bring sheets/bedding, food to eat, movies and games for entertainment. It is so remote and so 'laid-back' that I wouldn't be able to sleep without bringing my own comforts from home... and probably some bleach and paper towels.

Room Tip: Honestly, the best tip we received while here was, if you are already there, just ask for everythin...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alexmcevoy
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I have stayed at Marea Brava many times over the years. It is a beautiful beachfront hotel in Playa Hermosa Costa Rica. It is located on one of the best surfing beaches in Costa Rica where the world surfing contest was held 3 years ago. The rooms are beautiful and the service is excellent. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to be directly on the ocean. It is a short 4 miles away from Jaco where the night life goes from dusk to dawn. You will be treated to a wonderful vacation experience at Marea Brava as the pool and the spectacular settting is something that you will remember for a long time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've been to CR many times and stayed all over (once in Jaco), and never had great experiences with hotels; however my experience at the Marea Brava last week single handedly restored my faith in Costa Rican hospitality and is now my new favorite spot to shoot down from CA for a fun, surf weekend. Our room was beautiful, can't beat the ocean view and easy access to ocean and pools. The staff were so helpful and accommodating. Especially Nick (Gringo at the front desk) - he went above and beyond to make sure my girlfriend and I were comfortable, and to get us the info we needed to have the adventures we did. THANK YOU Nick! and all of you at Marea Brava. You guys ROCK!

We had no problem with our rates or with our reservation - I'm not sure what any of these negative reviews are talking about...Whatever problems they may have had were fixed by the time we got there.

Marea Brava is BY FAR the best hotel on Playa Hermosa and in Jaco - and is now my favorite place to stay in all of Costa.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Best rooms are the larger "Condos" on the beach. More expensive rooms but definitely worth...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Backyard Hotel
#3 of 5 in Playa Hermosa
4.0 of 5 stars 81 reviews
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery

Been to Marea Brava? Share your experiences!