“awful”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
San Jose, Costa Rica
“awful”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The hotel looks good on the outside picture, but that is not what you get. It seems as they have not changed any beds,linen, pillows, curtains, etc in decades. It is not a place where a decent person can sleep, or at least sleep well. The pool was so dirty that we were afraid our kids would be sick after using it, mine was...
Plus, we paid for 2 double rooms for 2 families of 4 and what we got were 2 ugly rooms with a full bed and a twin bed each, and we did not even get a discount or an apology. Not to mention that the price paid was just $40 less than the best 5 star hotel nearby. The only thing this place has to offer is location, on the beach, that's it.

Room Tip: There is no good room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank RaquelCM2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We make academic field trips to different places in Costa Rica with our students to see turtle nesting, whales and other marine biology events. We thought this was supposed to be one of the nicer hotels in Hermosa so we took our small group (12 students) there! The service was horrible and their was a clear lack of good fumigation and hygiene in the bathrooms. Too many cockroaches. When we went to request if they could go clean the bathroom the receptionist just turned away and came back and handed us a broom. This is what they think of their clients?? Then I am sure they will see a HUGE decline in clients and a over population of cockroaches!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Playa Hermosa hotels

Reston, Virginia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This place was recommended to me by a good friend of mine and serious surfer..He stays here with his buddies and teen age kids to surf in Playa Hermosa..I on the other hand was staying with my boyfriend and wanted a romantic vacation in Costa Rica on the beach..Well, romantic it was because it was an oceanfront MOTEL..( not really hotel)..The rooms were small and dingy, the bathrooms were worse...The grounds were nothing special and the pool was small..We had breakfast included which was a plus and the food was good..Now I am not always a 4/5 star hotel girl, I'd like to be, but my wallet reminds me of the truth..I love to to the local thing from time to time, but I needed and wanted more.. I didn't want to spend 5 nights here..It was too dumpy for me, my boyfriend didn't mind it .. ( but he is a man )..I don't recommend this place for couples looking for any luxury.. This was a 1 or 2 star place...But maybe for a guys surfing trip.. It was a great location with bars and restaurants all around, but that's about it... We packed up and went next door to finish out our trip at Marea Brava condos...Then I was happy..

Room Tip: Great location, good breakfast, great sunsets from the hammocks on the beach.. But nothing special...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Prato, Italy
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Meaning that if it did not sit on a fantastic beach, it would probably be closed!
• People are unpleasant all the rest was poor.
• The bar is nonexistent,
• Safe box in rooms is totally unsafe.
• For Wi-fi connection you have to wander around the premises searching for some sort of signal.
Cheap family hotel where I spent only one night, but it was the last one at the end of a wonderful holiday in a beautiful country and it almost ruined all of it.

Room Tip: either keep your eyes closed when inside the resort or chose another place
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights this past week. Our room was clean but nothing to get excited about. The hotel is right on the beach and the surf is great. The restaurant that is the hotel is ok at best. Breakfast is included but it is minimal. The food on the menu is ok but there are better places to eat if you can get around. The best part of this place is location. The sunsets were great. My family had to move rooms several times because their room had mold issues and the other had a bum air conditioner. But they did their best to accommodate us. Thank goodness there were other available rooms (it was midweek). The pool was nice and clean. I had a massage by someone the hotel recommended (40 dollars for 1 hour and 15 min) and that was wonderful and I highly recommend her (her name was Kattrina or Katerine, I forget but she was good)

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I came with my husband and my girls, 8 and 2 years for New Years vacation. The room was average, very clean though and with a safe. I will recommend the hotel for surfers or travelers that want to experience a very down to earth vacation. Don't expect a Marriott or Holiday Inn experience, this hotel is for people that like to stay out and experience the beach. Not nice to stay in all day, the beds are made for sleeping purposes, not relaxing. Food is ok, breakfast is included and fresh. Really liked the experience.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Ariru7
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Nice place. I've stayed here many times. Costa Rican style breakfast included with stay. Great location right on Playa Hermosa. Close to Jaco, yet far enough away to avoid all the conjestion. It's quiet here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
#4 of 5 in Playa Hermosa
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort

Been to Hotel Fuego del Sol? Share your experiences!