We take annual surf trips to Costa Rica. The Backyard Hotel is easily the nicest hotel in Playa Hermosa. This was my second visit to the Backyard Hotel. I had stayed there four years ago and was very impressed with the upkeep and improvements on the property.
I found the rooms to be much more comfortable and even cleaner than the average U.S. hotel.
The food at the Backyard Bar was also greatly improved. Four years ago the food was eh. This trip the food was very good and we ate almost every meal there.
The pool is beautiful and staffed by 4 iguanas who hang out by the pool all day and let you feed them flowers.
The staff was very helpful and accommodating. The office staff assisted us with car rentals, international phone calls and internet access. The service in the restaurant was very friendly and attentive.
It's also one of the few places with gated parking which is pretty clutch given the frequency of car break-ins. (don't ever leave anything of value in your car in Costa Rica. We would always leave the door unlocked and the windows open so that the locks wouldn't get broken during a break-in.)
The oceanfront suite on the second floor is definitely the room of choice. It has a huge balcony with an amazing view that's great for hanging out day and night.
I think the review "Beautiful Beach - Average Hotel" is a bit unfair. In Costa Rica you can't just run out and buy a new a new glass door. Something like that is usually has to be custom ordered from San Jose. Needing the security guard to turn on the air conditioner is a bit confusing. Our group had three rooms at the hotel and all of the ACs were manually controlled. There were no strange smells in any of our rooms.
I've stayed at other less expensive hotels in Playa Hermosa. They were fine, but none matched the comfort of The Backyard. The group was pretty unanimous in staying at the Backyard again next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Backyard Hotel is located on the beautiful, luscious green, central Pacific coast of Costa Rica in Playa Hermosa, just 4 kms south of Jaco Beach. This tropical paradise boasts one of the country's most well-known surfing and sunbathing beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Backyard Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Backyard Hotel Playa Hermosa
- Backyard Hotel Costa Rica/Playa Hermosa