All reviews pool bar weeklong stay beautiful beach fun to watch the pacific ocean located right renovation sand parrots
Reviewed February 16, 2018

I'll start off by saying not to judge a book by its cover. Yes, the buildings could use a little modernization and renovation. At first glance, it might look a little on the rough side. The rooms were more traditional Costa Rican in nature with the wooden ceiling and beams with a tiled floor. Yes, there were the tiniest ants in our bathroom along with a small lizard. Am I normally a picky traveler? Yes! But seriously - I loved staying here! The pool and restaurant sit next to the beach which has the most spectacular view. The facilities were clean. The mattresses were new. The food was delicious. Wildlife was abundant with beautiful birds flying around and a sweet iguana who came to visit me while I was sitting at the pool (although he startled me at first). The beach is wide with black sand and volcanic rocks. I would not recommend swimming at this location due to the rocks and strong current; however, you can explore, sit on the beach, and play in the surf as I did. I had a great stay there for a girls weekend with my best friend. I'd highly recommend the location. And the best thing...? I only paid $88/night for this place! I've never been able to stay at a beach in the US for anywhere near that price. My only watch out would be for disabled travelers. My son is in a wheelchair and I'm not sure how well he would have gotten around if he'd been with me. I'd suggest getting a room on the ground floor since there are no elevators. The parking lot does leave a lot to be desired and may be very difficult to navigate. And while there are no steps leading out to the beach, you will need a beach wheelchair to enjoy the beach since the sand is thick and fluffy.

If you choose this hotel, enjoy your stay! It's beautiful here!!!

• Stayed: February 2018, traveled with friends
2  Thank mmflatt
Reviewed February 14, 2018

Location is perfect, it is right on the ocean with a beautiful dark sandy beach and just a lovely location but the buildings are run down and that is why I feel bad for the place with so much going for it. The staff was great, the pool, the place overall, just perfect but so many eyesores stand out for the international traveler. The peaceful setting is away from all traffic and there are no other buildings around. We played in the surf, walked on the beach and thought it so gorgeous, but then we had many things to try to ignore: wires and pipes hanging out all over the place, rusted air conditioners, wore out bed spreads, it just needs an overhaul. So if you can spend your time out of the room like us, you will have a great time. At half price of nearby places you have decide what you want. We will go back.

Room Tip: Make sure your safe box , frig and TV work.
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank truemoshon
Reviewed January 15, 2018

Costa Rica is a beautiful country and Terraza del Pacifico put the icing on the cake. I can't recall the last time I took such a relaxing vacation. It was "muy tranquilo"! The hotel is right on the beach with unobstructed views of the ocean from the balcony. My girlfriend and I were able to walk out of the room and right onto the sand. We could hear the Ocean from our room as well. The restaurant has great food and drinks. Fresh pineapple, guacamole, fish etc etc. And the service is truly exceptional! The service is what makes this hotel stand out from the others. We had a great time and look forward to going again soon!

Stayed: December 2017
Reviewed January 10, 2018 via mobile

Positives: right on the beach. Very friendly staff. Plenty of parking. Iguanas with breakfast. Two pools. Away from loud jaco.

Negatives for us: uncomfortable beds, poor WiFi, thin walls/floors.

We were here two days and didn’t spend much time in the room but it was hard to sleep with worn out mattresses. They were very thin and woke up feeling tired. We did enjoy having basically our own beach though it isn’t the best for swimming. Staff really was friendly and did their best to make our stay as nice as possible. While we were there their were also about thirty American high school kids running around too which was slightly annoying but not the fault of the hotel.

Would stay here again if the beds were better.

Stayed: January 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark W
Reviewed January 7, 2018

I would only recommend this hotel to some serious surfers who don't care about paying a lot of money for a terrible experience. This place is run down and falling apart. We arrived to find our room unlocked and smelling a bit like sewage, the beds are uncomfortable and our room was infested with vicious ants. This hotel may have been nice 20 years ago, but it has fallen into serious disrepair since. The service left much to be desired as well.

Room Tip: Avoid staying in this "resort" and save yourself the noise of trucks downshifting all night
  • Stayed: January 2018, traveled as a couple