“Do Not Stay Here”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
vannaVanna
“Do Not Stay Here”
Reviewed July 22, 2008

This hotel is completely run-down. Paint is chipping off the walls, the A/C sounds like a freight train, food is horrible, rooms are not clean and hotel is generally not maintained.

There are fewer than 10 chairs around the pool so if you are not the first one there you have to place your towel on the concrete around the pool. Of course the problem is that there aren't enough pool towels either. Staff is completely apathetic.

The ocean is only good for surfing. the waves are too dangerous for swimming.

Spend your money elsewhere.

• Liked — Watching surfers
  • Disliked — EVerything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank vannaVanna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 8, 2008

June 27-29

We went to this motel (they call themselves a resort hotel but it's really more like the quality of a motel) with a large group and had a great time. The highlight of the stay was the weekly Saturday "night surf competition" right in front of the restaruant. This place is right off the high tide water line with a close-in view of the raging sea waves. Absolutely beautiful to see, but there is no way you can swim in this ocean. Lots of surfing though!

We had lots of kids in our group and this was fine as they had each other to play with and there are two pools there, both clean and chlorinated. Two medium sized pools that are good for younger kids. The pool bar only was open during the day on Sat. No lights in the pool, but you can swim there anyway.

We had meals included with our room, and the food was average, but well worth the cost. You get what you pay for! Easy for the kids, since we did not have to go anywhere to eat. Kids collected and played with hermet crabs, and had fun in the sand. Large McCaw parrots came to feast on the fruit from the trees. Lots of waves to watch and hear thunder, as well as lots of surfers on this "expert surf" beach.

Rooms were fine, with air conditioning, but really on the basic side. Drapes did not cover the tops of the windows, so if you like sleeping in that's difficult. They could really use a remodel, but then again for $140 a night with meals for a family what can you expect? Based on other reveiws, we rented the safe.

• Liked — The closeness to the crashing waves and beach
  • Disliked — Room quality was basic and cheap
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
CANADA
Reviewed June 27, 2008

Terraza del Pacifico hotel it is really fantastic. Clean rooms, good security, and excellent food. I love Costa Rica, end in my opinion this is the best hotel in Jaco. It’s in from of the beach, especial for surfing. I was here per 5 nights and all is very good.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
SF, CA
Reviewed May 2, 2008

Well we were here so my sister could surf and the hotel was under construction so we were placed in the back section since that pool was the only one open.

The first room we were put in had a faulty lock on the sliding door so we had to switch after some haggling with the front desk staff. That was the first thing, then it kind of sucked that the main pool with the wet bar was closed since that's something we wanted to partake of.

Overall the rooms aren't fancy at all but the water pressure is good (when it's on - at one point they turned the water off for some reason and didn't tell us until we had to figure it out ourselves).

The beach in front however is amazing. If you are a surfer of some competance, you'll have a blast. I loved that the beach is not for swimmers, just surfers!

• Stayed April 2008
1 Thank genex

Travelers are raving about these Playa Hermosa hotels

San Francisco
Reviewed May 1, 2008

I'm surprised that there are so many negative reviews. I have stayed here a couple of times and really enjoyed myself. The rooms are clean, and spacious. They are no frills. If you are the kind of traveler who enjoys spending a great deal of time in your room and having lots of amenities-this isn't your hotel. The staff is friendly but their English isn't always so good. Oh well-you're in another country and this is not an American run establishment. The Terraza is a quiet, away from it all kind of hotel. Several nights we walked down the beach to the Backyard Bar and enjoyed Guaro sours and the sunset. You are also within walking distance from the best food in the area--The Jungle Cafe. Get there as soon as it opens because there is probably only seating for 15 (maybe) and only two menu options. The food is to die for and so is price. A seared 3/4 pound Ahi steak w/ mashed potatoes, and grilled vegies (enough food to share) will run you just over $9. I've had some good Ahi in my day but never like this. If you don't believe me read the Lonely Planet review. If you don't like to go out to eat you can eat at Terraza but stick to tico food. Their "western cuisine" is lacking---once again, you are in a foreign country. They have good drinks but we noticed their pricing fluctuates... Buy a $6 bottle of Guaro at the market and $2 juice and have a ball in your room. Bottom line is--- this is a great place for the easy going traveler. If your a snooty traveler who wants to visit other countries without experiencing the country, this isn't the place for you. Oh and for those of you who complained of theft---it happens. I've never experienced it at the Terraza, but theft happens. Keep your valuables on you and be a smart traveler. My dad had his wedding ring stolen from the Argent Hotel (fancy and expensive) in downtown SF, theft can happen anywhere.

• Liked — The quiet
  • Disliked — The bar
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jrmonroe83
Las Vegas
Reviewed April 4, 2008

For me this is one of the hotels in which the service is 5 star, his kindness, quality service and excellent ubication.
Make the hotel a home for the customers, the people and the beach and their food was great.
the Facilities are comfortable and calm, an excellent beach for surfing, the environment is very tropical...
The first day they get me a big smile and a delicious cocktail, in the room the decoration was spectacular with flower, Clean and pleasant, The atmosphere is relaxed and fun, the waves are spectacular.

On the night a barbecue on the beach with a delicious food, like lobster, t-bone, Shrimp, wine, beer. Certainly i not going to forget this night...

my time in Terraza del pacifico, was great I'm planing to come back in the future, I love Costa Rica and Playa Hermosa... to all those people that Wrote bad critical s I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT :(

• Liked — The service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank StefanyBruke
east coast
Reviewed April 2, 2008

I admit I was more than hesitant about staying here after reading all the reviews. To add to our perspective I will say that I've been fortunate to stay in luxury hotels around the U.S. and Europe. A luxury hotel this is not, but for the price it met our needs perfectly. And after a few days, I was quite happy with our choice and I enjoyed our weeklong stay. I will say that pillow, bedding and linen upgrades would be nice, but even that wasn't much of an issue after a few days. We just adapted and made due. We enjoyed our daily breakfasts watching the surfers, the fresh fruit was wonderful and the other breakfast options were just fine. There were two pools, which were great for our 4 year old. And, I actually found the premises to be quiet and peaceful.

I loved the location - right on the beach, just a few minutes from Jaco, and not too far from other CR sites. We were there to surf, so we knew going in that the beaches were not good for swimming. We found other places in CR to enjoy white sand beaches and swimmer friendly surf. I found the staff to very friendly and helpful. The few times we requested something, they were attentive and responsive. They helped us arrange car rental and a day trip. The staff at the restuarant were very courteous and friendly. The maid service was thorough and our rooms were always clean. I would stay here again on future trips to Costa Rica.

• Liked — Location and staff
  • Disliked — The bedding
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery
Marea Brava
Marea Brava
#2 of 5 in Playa Hermosa

Been to Terraza del Pacifico? Share your experiences!