“Should have done more research”
Review of Surf Inn Hermosa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Hermosa
Surf Inn Hermosa
australia
“Should have done more research”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I think many of the reviews are from those who stayed in one of the 2 bedroom apartments with ocean views and big balconies.
We opted for the cheaper option of the one bedroom studio. The draw back for the downstairs studio apartment is very little natural light gets in, you can't open any windows and there is no outside area to sit. Because it is so dark it doesn't really lend itself to wanting to spend any time in there. When there was a rainy day we had to head to a nearby restaurant and spend the hours there.
I also think because of the darkness it gives it a damp, musty smell which was unfortunate. There is also no housekeeping which, when staying for four days and your toilet bin is not emptied, is also fairly unpleasant.
I wouldn't discourage people from staying here because it's a great spot and Christina was very helpful. I would just recommend paying extra and staying in one of the front apartments with ocean views, a heap of natural light and a nice balcony to chill on.

Room Tip: Try not to stay in the ground floor studios
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bunkas
surfinnhermosa, Manager at Surf Inn Hermosa, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your feedback and will work to improve on the items you have mentioned. Pura Vida.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Jacksonville
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My son who was a regular to CR saw this place while surfing a few years ago, and now that he was bringing his family, wanted to make sure we had a nice and safe place to stay near his surf spots. Well the Surf Inn Hermosa did not let any of us down! Not only was our 2 bedroom apartment perfect for us with an oceanfront porch and big glass windows to see the Pacific Ocean up close and personal, the owner Christina was very attentive and full of information and recommendations. This was our first trip and we felt very safe staying here with their nightly security guard.. Mary Sol was very friendly and always around and did a great job with our laundry and anything else we needed. Air conditioning, wifi and hot solar water never let us down. Great location too for eating with Bowie's Point only one door away and I highly recommend it for all meals, but especially at night for just "hanging out". The pool is small but very refreshing after hiking to the great waterfalls close by or within 30 minutes. Location is fairly central and you can head both south (Manuel Antonio NP: Rainmaker: Dominical)or north for day trips (Paos: Tortuga Catamaran: Villa Caletas). Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We loved the oceanfront unit with two bedrooms and two baths for four of us. That way I had coffee...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
surfinnhermosa, Owner at Surf Inn Hermosa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I really appreciate your comments. Especially since your son visits Costa RIca often, I know he had many places to choose from. We hope to see you all again soon.
Toronto
Reviewed May 28, 2013

If your plane lands mid afternoon in San Juan and you're driving South to Ojochal or Uvita and don't want to be driving in the dark, this is a good place to stop for the night. Rooms are clean, airconditioned with WIFI and it's right on the beach. Just a few steps south is the Restaurant Hermosa with fast local fare.

Room Tip: You'll pay a premium if you want the ocean view. We took an upstairs room on the second building...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bernieschmidt
Thank you for your review. We receive many guests that use our location as a base and we do our best to keep our units clean, the air conditioners working and the WIFI consistent; which can be tough sometimes!

We hope to see you next time when you are traveling thru Costa RIca
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

This place was for me great rooms and a great bed. Surf is right out front evey day..cool owner she is very nice and take pictures of surfer and put them up on her web site.. really loved the vibe there....

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank carbone1336
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We consistently try to keep a good vibe here at Surf Inn Hernosa; and I love taking photos of all the awesome surf action outfront. Hope to see ya next time when you come thru Playa Hermosa
Washington, DC
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Local hospitality is at its finest with Christina and Mike at Surf Inn Hermosa. All I can say is they make it happen...they are walking encyclopedias of local info. Most importantly for us: where to surf for our abilities, and what break is best and when given weather and tide conditions. Straight A's across the board, and with some real surprises along the way...several firsts to add to my surfing list :-D

The things we didn't even know were important we sure appreciated learning under Mike's adept surf-guiding: What beach offers agua d'pipa (fresh coconut water, machete'd right off the tree) for after-surf refreshment and nutrient replenishment ("it's nature's Gatorade"); where to get the best organic coffee, and local spices for cooking and medicine, including a tour of the organic spice farm; and where to get some gnarly dings repaired, right down the road from the hotel...fast, fair and cheerful ("like it never happened!").

Christina is the consummate host. Everywhere we went--from restaurants to spas to shops--people knew Christina and were delighted to help us. She knew where to get the best sunset experience, where to get great massages, where to grocery shop, who to do yoga with, and even how to navigate the pharmacia to get some antibiotics. She helped us get oriented when we first got there, she checked in on us regularly, let us know about goings-on-around-town (like the weekly surf contest at Backyard, just a few doors down the beach), and even offered us a lift into town when she would run errands. Oh, and I have to mention that not only is she great fun to surf with and a wonderful lunch/dinner companion over the yummiest local specialties, but she also takes great photos--surf and land--and shares them generously with her guests! (check out crsurfcam.com).

It's incomprehensible how you could have anything but a great guest experience at Surf Inn Hermosa (hey, granted, they're not responsible for gigunda swell size, or for you racking up yourself and/or your board in it... but they sure are capable and gracious at facilitating a lovely time regardless :-)

It really felt like a home away from home... better yet, with folks passionate about surfing and showing guests the best of Costa Rican's legendary hospitality.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ebluesky
Thank you for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time to include all the details. Surfer Girl Getaways are something we work hard to host and enjoy doing so. Hope to see you again soon. Pura Vida.
Goleta, California
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This was my first time to CR. We booked a 10-day "Hard-Core" surf package with the Surf Inn in October. All I can say is that my expectations were exceeded in every way. Christina was awesome to work with, and set up all of our accommodations. We were picked up at the airport in San Jose and taken to our spacious 2-bedroom suite, overlooking Playa Hermosa. Michael took us out surfing twice a day every day. He even took us out to the Nicoya Peninsula, where we surfed Playa Theresa. They served us delicious, healthy meals and snacks everyday. Everything was taken care of. All we needed to do was show up and surf. Oh, and the surf was awesome too!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dewdogg247
Thank you for your write up --really appreciate you all taking the time to write it! Hope to see you guys back someday. Pura Vida.
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at the Surf Inn Hermosa for 3 weeks. This is the deal.

A) If you are surfer and want your best chance for waves during your stay in front ouf your accommodations this is the spot hands down.

B) If you are not a surfer and simply looking to get away with with beautiful accommodations at competitive pricing look no further. I really felt like it was my home here. That never happens when I travel.

C) The hotel does offer all inclusive packages which i did not utilize but heard form other where amazing! ( I wish I had) Trust me if you only have a week in Costa Rica and do not want to spend a month researching where to do what and who has good food or prices I suggest you contact Christina the owner/operator. She will save you time, money, and do it with a smile. She was extremely prompt when replying to any of my request.

D) If you are parents and are sponsoring a trip for your kids. Out of all the places in Hermosa/ Jaco I definetley would feel the safest and at ease if a loved one was staying here. The owner is an american expat who treated me with motherly instincts immediately lol. I mean seriously she was really instrumental in guiding me on making decisions that come with longer term stays in a foreign country.

E) You can tell alot about the management of a place by the attitude of their employees. Everyone that worked on site from security to cleaning services greeted me with the most warm and inviting smiles and extreme helpfulness.

I am so happy I used The surf inn as my homebase while i figured out the rest of my travel plans in Costa Rica.

FYI

This is the only review I have ever written online about any place I have visited. I utilize reviews all the time when making decisions just never was inspired until now to write one.

Room Tip: I stayed in both the 2 bedroom and the single. The bottom floor two bedroom is amazing! The views ar...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Isaac L
Thank you for taking the time to write a review - we really appreciate it and hope to see you when you come back. PURA VIDA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Hermosa
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery
Las Brisas Resort and Villas
Las Brisas Resort and Villas
#1 of 8 in Playa Hermosa

Been to Surf Inn Hermosa? Share your experiences!