“Great place to stay and surf”
Review of Tortuga del Mar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Hermosa
Tortuga del Mar
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We visited Tortuga Del Mar last November and had a great time. It has a beautiful view. We stayed in the bottom room nearest the water. It was so nice to walk out of your room and walk past the pool to hit the sand. We had two beds in our room and could sleep 3. There weren't many rooms here, so it kept the place quiet. Till was awesome. He was there to take care of us and even let me borrow one of his personal boards. He was able to find an instructor for my wife who wanted to learn to surf and introduced us to Roberto (Coco) and his wife to teach her. Taking a cab ride to Jaco is simple, quick, and cheap if you want to explore the nightlife. There isn't much to do in Hermosa other than relax and surf. We ate a few meals at Jungle Surf while we were there. Cool owner and very friendly. This was my favorite part of our Costa Rica trip and I will definitely come back to Tortuga Del Mar when I come back to Playa Hermosa.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Such a great spot. Just about perfect for what it is. A quiet, clean, relaxing place to stay right on a beautiful blacksand beach, with fun waves right out front. The rooms and beds are comfortable, well decorated, clean and well maintained. The pool and yard areas were nicely landscaped. Wouldn't change a thing. Lilly was awesome. Best place we found in Costa.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I stayed at Tortuga Del Mar as part of a package with del mar surf camp (an amazing experience!).
The hotel is tiny with about 8-10 rooms and no resto or breakfast. Having said that, I still loved it. It had the nicest feeling, serene. The pool was clean and nice, and the beach in front was beautiful. The sand was brown/black (volcanic) and there were lush flowering plants all around.
The room was very large, with 3 beds (for one person!) and a small kitchenette, with microwave, minifridge, sink and dishes/cutlery. There is a minimart close by you can buy your beer and snacks. If you make it into Jaco, which i highly recommend you do, stock up on groceries and fresh fruit, the fruit is wonderful.

The location is nice, beautiful view. The people who own the hotel were friendly and helpful. As I was part of the Del Mar surfcamp, all my transportation and food was included, plus surfing, so it couldnt have been easier. Without the camp, you have several tasty local restos on that beach, some within walking distance, which are great options. There are taxis and buses too, do your research before going and you can plan some easy trips into town.

I enjoyed my stay there, small, peaceful, clean and beautiful. If you don't mind searching for your food, and in costa rica you will taste some of the best food ever, then this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here recently and it was beautiful. Grounds are nicely kept, right on the beach. However, the staff was really rude at times. If you are not running on their schedule or want an extra towel or something, it is a big deal. We had requested extra towels and were treated very rudely.

Sad because it is such a gorgeous place. However, we will not be returning. That sort of attitude has no place in hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We love Hermosa beach, so frequently we stay at different places, checking for the best spot.
So this time we stayed at Tortuga del Mar, the place is mantained in perfect condition,rooms are extra clean, have fridge, micro and coffemaker all in as in new condition.
Pool well mantained cristal clear, no weeds or leaves floating, and the location of the pool, excellent, you could see the surf. Place is quiet, relaxing and small, no crowds or mess.
Til the owner is also a surfer, and enjoys the ride right in front of his place. What a perfect setting?
The only dot of our stay, was Til ,his german sense of humour maybe is too rough for a pair of grandparents who enjoy watching the sea and beauty of surfing. We think that Til doesn't identify with hosts that aren't surfers or of other age.
Without Til's remark the rating would be excellent

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms have an excellent view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This hotel was the lodging for our surf camp through Rica Surf. My husband and I have only stayed at huge all-inclusive resorts when on vacation so this was a big switch for us since the hotel is really just a small office, 8 rooms, and a pool. However, we LOVED it. The owners Lil and Til were very kind as was the staff. The rooms were clean and the grounds were beautiful and well-kept. It was perfect for what we needed. Everything was pristine. We would definitely stay here again. The only thing I missed was shampoo and conditioner, and a blanket, but really I can't complain.

Room Tip: Bring your own shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and towels. Some rooms have kitchenettes and some have...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dancingpatty
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I recently stayed at Tortuga Del Mar.I knew that I wanted to stay in that area and booked there strictly from previous reviews of the hotel.The rooms are VERY clean with nice beds and great AC.Til and the staff are great and I will be returning ASAP.Great places to eat within walking distance.I could'nt have asked for more.Surf was great.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
#2 of 8 in Playa Hermosa
Hotel Club del Mar
Hotel Club del Mar
#7 of 40 in Jaco

Been to Tortuga del Mar? Share your experiences!