Sandpiper Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Playa Hermosa
See available hotels
Hotel Fuego del Sol(Playa Hermosa)
Average 3/5
  • Breakfast included
Marea Brava(Playa Hermosa)
  • Pool
Good 3.5/5
  • Beachfront
Backyard Hotel(Playa Hermosa)
Very Good 4/5
Terraza del Pacifico(Playa Hermosa)
Average 3/5
Good 3.5/5
Great 4.5/5
Great 4.5/5
Excellent 5/5
All reviewsthe ownerlaid backpura vidacosta ricawithin walking distanceawesome hostrolling wavesfeel like familygorgeous beachmanuel antonio parkrooms are cleanevery morninghis wifefriendly placeminute ridethe ritzsecurity guard
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My girlfriend and I just got back from a week long vacation at the Sandpiper. The owner, Greg, could not have been more helpful in making our experience all that it was. He was very attentive to our needs and questions , and kept us entertained for hours with stories and good conversation. He is a genuine host, and just wants his guests to enjoy their stay at the hotel. The room was comfortable but you'll want to spend most of your time by the pool or lounging on the hammocks. We highly recommend you stay!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2014

There is no better spot to stay in Hermosa. The hotel is private, intimate and comfortable. The outdoor areas and the pool are great...my kids had an absolute blast. It's such a great experience because you get to meet and engage with the other guests...we made some great new friends. Our room was perfect, and Greg was the perfect host. He took great care of us, and pointed us in the right direction for a ton of fun activities. We all can't wait to go back.

If you are thinking about going to Costa Rica, be sure to consider the Sandpiper...you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with either ocean side room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jim V
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have been in the hotel twice and I love the place. It' super private but at the same time has a bunch of good places to eat within walking distance and Jaco is very close so you can party hard at night if you want to too. I usually come down for base training during the cold months in the NE. The place is perfect for a triathlete. You can bike or run out the door for days if you want to. There are all type of terrains for biking and running. Also, within 5K there are two 25meter lap pools. The hotel is on the beach so you can surf all day. To be honest I am working out from 5:30am when the sun comes out all the way to 6Pm when the sun goes down. Greg the owner is super cool and very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Enjoyed our stay very much, beachfront, air conditioning, clean pretty room with hand-painted murals , easy walk to local restaurants and bars, view was fantastic (sunsets are WOW), nice little pool. Greg, was always available and very hospitable and full of great advise and tips to enjoy the area. Absolutely loved watching Cory play ball in the waves! Macaws in the trees and iguana's lounging in easy view. Exactly what we came to Costa Rica for....glad we found it!

Room Tip: Front top room, with great balcony for views of sunset and lizards
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The owner Greg it's a helpful man (although he doesn't speak Spanish) and the location is the best. But the rest, quite disappointing.
The hotel doesn't have a reception. When you need something, you need to search for Greg in the hotel or on the beach.
The common area is a little messy, with objects for cleaning and maintenance.
The rooms doesn't have daily cleaning. We passed a day without A/C and when it was fixed, the room was left with a lot of dirt.
The hotel's website needs to be updated. The restaurant doesn't work, neither they have "surf movies on the big screen".
We stayed in ten hotels in our trip to Costa Rica. Sandpiper Inn was the second more expensive and the second worst in our opinion.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DanielStange
sandpiper222222, Owner at Sandpiper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Thank you Daniel for your response..Sometimes it's good to get a constructive review of my place..I do try my best & might miss here or there a few times, But I am always here to try & make your stay nice...To address a few of your issues...
1) Sorry for the bad Spanish...
2) Reception - I am a small hotel on the beach - 8 rooms..To have someone full time to sit in some little reception is just not financially possible..My house is 20ft from your room & I am all over the property cleaning pool, racking leaves, putting coffee out, getting guests towels, hanging out with guests...But I am always on the grounds here to help at anytime!
3) Maid cleaning - You stayed 2 nights! You arrived late in the afternoon to a nice clean room. the next day, I try & make sure I ask you if you need clean towels or anything for your room..If I missed you, I am sorry..The next morning you were gone! So yes, we are NOT the Hyatt..My maid comes every other day & I am here to fill in in between!
4) You told me about the A/C the day after you arrived..I called the A/C guy & he was over within hours & fixed A/C.."Room left full of dirt" I think is a bit wrong...I was in there with him fixing A/C & we made sure it was all good when he left..No "Dirt"!
5) Website..You are right..I need to update it! Thank you!
6) No Restaurant...My restaurant is there, but you are right, NO ONE is running it right now...After years of having a restaurant on site, I really enjoy NOT having one..And I believe my guests would feel the same after you visit & enjoy the grounds...Our beach front "Rancho" "Palapa" is the best place to relax, sit, rest in Hammocks out of the blazing sun but able to watch the surf & sunsets!! When we had a running restaurant, it got so busy from OUTSIDE people NOT staying at hotel, eating out under the "Rancho" & because some guy bought a drink, he felt he owned the hammock all day, but NOT staying at the Sandpiper! So my guests had no quite / relaxing place to sit & watch the waves & sunset..When one of our restaurants were serving dinner, we had people coming in at 9:30 at night wanting dinner, while my guests are trying to sleep..There are 6 restaurants, 1 bakery, 2 little markets within 5 min. walk of my place..A restaurant just doesn't fit for my guests!
7) Surf Movies on big screen..Funny you say that..No, I have not had that for years..I went through 2 projectors & a light bulb that costs $300.00 for a projector..Sorry, but having a hotel ON the beach just KILLS electronics!!
8) Expensive! This subject is crazy! $80.00 a night for your clean safe room on the beach with A/C, pool, night guard, ping-pong, Wifi, beautiful places to sit / relax & be safe, parking...Wow! Do you know I live here & I pay $6.00 a gallon for gas, my electric bill is $1,400.00 a month, food in the Walmart market are more than what we pay in the US..To go out & eat here, you spend $20.00 easy...How our we supposed to survive? Costa Rica is NOT cheap & especially living here..You might find a place at cheaper, but I don't live on rice & beans..Do you?
Thank you for your review..Helps me make my place a better place..Pura Vida!