“Great for groups of backpackers on a budget”
Review of J&A Fishpen

J&A Fishpen
Ranked #14 of 48 Restaurants in Camiguin
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We ended our 3 day Camiguin trip by stopping over at J&A Fishpen for dinner, we also spent our final night here. Since we spent most of our money during our previous activities, we could not afford the to buy their crab or shrimps. But we had a big and super fresh (Straight from the pond) lapu-lapu fish that was really really good. My friends also ordered halo-halo (A Filipino desert, a must try if you haven't had it before) and mango shakes, and said that both were really good. We only spent about 1,300 for a big grilled lapu-lapu fish (1.3kg), a plate of calamari, 10 cups of rice, a shell soup, 2 halo halo, a mango shake and a fruit juice.
TIP: Use bug repellent if you eat in their cottages at night. Bugs love the still water all around the place so expect a few bites!

All the drivers know where this place is, so you will have no problem finding your way to this place. Some refer to it as the 'lagoon'. It s really near the Benoni Port, so if you need to leave early the next morning, this would be a good place to stay.

We had the dormitory room, a steel at only 1,000 pesos - a room good for 10 people. With such a cheap price, there's not a lot to expect. It had 5 bunk beds, no air conditioner (just an electric fan) and common bathrooms. But since we were the only ones staying the their dormitory rooms, we still had the bathrooms all to ourselves. But I do suggest that if you have a little bit more money to spare - you should go to a different place to get a bit more comfortable.

The morning was cool though since we saw them feeding the huge fish they had in their pond! :D

Date of visit: May 2013
1  Thank MissGlobeTrotter24

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I was really looking forward to this place but the food was disappointing. My chili crab was too sweet and only so so. They charge you extra to sit out by the water too. The atmosphere is nice and I did have a great mango shake but I would have liked to have had better food.

Date of visit: January 2013
4  Thank katherine_b20
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Pity me! I just found out about TripAdvisor. Have I known it before, I would have written this review right after our trip to Camiguin.

First time:
After being picked up by our tour guide's multicab from the airport, we were immediately brought to this place to have lunch. IT WAS A FEAST! Kudos to our tour agent as well for choosing this! We were served food good for 10 people (although I think it was more than enough for ten) but we were only 6. We even brought home our leftovers. It was a feast of seafood (the best of all), meat, veggies and mangoes (were sweet but not the sweetest I've tasted though).

We were ushered to our reserved table. Right there and then, our steaming hot food were served. The staff were so helpful and attentive to all our needs. All of them served you with smiles on their faces.

Second time:

We were again happily ushered to our reserved table (a different one from the first time). Then there was a group of people (who were occupying the same table that we had the first time) who were already there even before we got there. They were making a lot of noise. We then realized that they were complaints! They were complaining on how slow the restaurant's service was. They even looked at us and saw that food was already being served to us but, still, not to them. When we were done, it's like, they just started. Lesson? They should know that in a famous resto like this one with a lot of people to serve, it would really take a lot of time to prepare the food. And it's a first come, first served basis!

TIP: If you want to have the same service that we had, make sure that you have someone to take care of it MONTHS before you go here. Else, you have to wait in line, for I guess, close to an hour or more.

We were here 12/09/2011 - 12/10/2011.

Date of visit: February 2012
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We went here one evening for a seafood dinner. The food, as we had been told by friends who live in the island, was very very good: perfectly fried grouper with sweet & sour, and very good chop suey. The location is very nice, with a view over the lagoon (in the daytime, of course...). Only (small) setback was that the staff seemed sort of disinterested..., more busy watching a soap on tv than keeping an eye on their guests, plus some people hanging around who appeared to be neither guest nor staff (or possibly staff off-duty?).
Overall: certainly recommended. Good food, and the rest probably was due to a "slow" moment in business...

2  Thank HM1960
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We visited the restaurant just before our ferry back to the mainland. The location is very nice next to the lagoon. The staff were very helpful, and gave good service. The food we ordered was very good indeed and we were very surprised by the good value. Would highly recommend while on Camiguin!!

Date of visit: December 2012