“Wonderful! except...”
Review of Mantigue Island

Mantigue Island
Ranked #3 of 28 things to do in Camiguin
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The island of Mantigue can be reach within 30-45 minutes by boat from the main island.

It's a beautiful island. Fine sand (not as fine as Boracay, some parts are even stoney). Crystal clear water. But, one thing that I have notice is that it somewhat became like a home for at least 50 families who originated from Bohol and occupied the island and put up their homes there.

I have seen a local documentary about Mantigue and there seems to be some actions coming from the local government for them to be relocated. Some, like in most cases in the Philippines, the residents are fighting for their right to stay in the island (harsh as it is, but this is something that I do not really understand about informal settlers. They know upfront it is NOT their property to begin with and when the local gov't begins to oust them from the vicinity, they would insist their so called RIGHT.)

I would love to see the island uninhabited and instead, be developed without compromising it's natural wonders.

Also, this would have been perfect if not for the food. It was awful! We spent lunchtime there and we were offered seashells (apparently, on that day, seashells and swordfish are the only two options; we chose the more palatable--seashells) by the local tindera residing in the island for lunch. I almost vomitted.

TAKE NOTE:

*better to bring your own food
*The island offers a lot of shade from the scorching sunrays but again, SUNBLOCK!

I am really hoping that when I get back, the government has done to better the island...OR ELSE...

3  Thank Pinoy_Trekker

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I've flown regularly to the Philippines - my second home - since I was 9 months old and while I've seen many absolutely stunning places, Mantigue Island is my undisputed favorite spot to date. The sand is like powdered sugar, the water crystal clear, and the natives who manage the island, the surrounding waters and the small forest upon it could not be any friendlier. Yes, tourists do end up here, but in the time that we spent there I never felt crowded or bothered in any way. It may be a small place, but it has surprisingly much to offer (just follow the sun around the island if you want a killer tan, go snorkeling or scuba diving when you get restless, and order some grilled fish when you get hungry). A 15 minute boat ride from Camiguin, this is a treasure that shouldn't be missed.

1  Thank Lecille
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just like the white island, the beach here is sugar white and fine. In addition to the magistic view of Camiguin, on a clear day, you can see the high mountains of Mindanao on the other side. There is a National sanctuary which I heard is a great place to scuba dive. Since there is a small forest in the middle, you can still come here even during the day and hide from the sun in between. I only prefer white island (which is just a sandbank) to Mantigue because is is nearer Mambajao, my town.

2  Thank maritesthetraveller
Reviewed May 16, 2013

From the main island of Camiguin, Mantigue Island is around 15 minutes away by boat. Upon docking the beach, you will be guided to the reception hut where entrance fees have to be paid. When we go on trips, we always bring our snorkels and diving masks, but otherwise, you can rent from stores in the main island or in Mantigue itself. There's also a pedal boat with glass flooring, but it's best if you get into the water to enjoy the fish sanctuary. When we were there, we spent around 2 hours snorkeling just to watch all the fish swimming around. The boat men provided us with life vests to use during the trip and while snorkeling. It was really great!

3  Thank Ji D
Reviewed April 26, 2013

A paradise. I was surprised to see a green forest in this white island. Snorkeling is the main thing that needs to be done here, you will see beautiful marine creatures beneath the crystal clear water.

2  Thank allthaticansee