“Wonderful in every way.”

The New Yard Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Mawgan
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Truro, United Kingdom
“Wonderful in every way.”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I first visited the New Yard restaurant a few years ago and, after a delicious lunch on that occasion, was keen to return and see the refurbishment for myself. I visited with a large group of friends for a celebratory dinner and am pleased to say that I found the New Yard to be all that I had hoped that it would be.

The new layout is bright and airy but still allows for privacy for those seeking a quiet evening. For us, the large table, so beautifully decorated, was perfect for our special occasion. The service was very efficient and the waiting staff friendly and obliging - when we realised that we had not ordered enough vegetarian dishes, the issue was dealt with so smoothly that most of our party did not even know that a mistake had been made.

The food itself was amongst the best I have ever eaten - I had the Gourmet Burger (which certainly lived up to its name) and a deliciously light custard tart served with rhubarb sorbet for dessert. The wine list was excellent and the cocktails very tempting indeed.

The New Yard Restaurant is, in my opinion, probably the finest restaurant in Cornwall; not only for the quality of the food but also for the superb location, the convivial, unpretentious atmosphere and the genuine warm welcome we always receive. I look forward to returning with my husband in a few weeks to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

• Visited June 2014
TrelowarrenCornwall, Owner at The New Yard Restaurant, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you for your review. We had a table for 14 especially built for the New New Yard Restaurant and it has certainly been very popular. Much more convivial somehow than having the usual tables pushed together - I think it's the extra width. Happy Anniversary too!

Truro, United Kingdom
“A perfect evening”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We came as a party to Trelowarren on a beautiful June evening to mark the retirement of a colleague. After a wonderful open-air massage and swim in the Walled Garden, we moved to the New Yard for delicious cocktails in the sunshine - highly recommend the mojitos (sp?). An enormous table was set inside, to accommodate comfortably around thirty of us - splendidly decorated with hydrangeas and sweetpeas (the table, not us). My vegetarian dish of layered caramelised onions, charred asparagus, a perfectly poached egg and Parmesan shavings was amongst the nicest things I have eaten, and a perfectly executed and elegant custard tart with rhubarb ice cream was a refreshing and luxurious dessert. The service was smiley and efficient and the atmosphere relaxed and happy: the refurb has opened up the already airy room, yet with its rich colours and textures, still feels intimate and warm. Heartily recommend for all these reasons.

• Visited June 2014
TrelowarrenCornwall, Owner at The New Yard Restaurant, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Thank you for your review. What a great evening it was - sunshine, friends, supper and short speeches! That's what the big table is all about.
Athens, Greece
“Not a patch on what it used to be”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We went to this restaurant as a group of six to celebrate a birthday. The restaurant was disappointing and not as good as previous visits. The starters were good but the main course left much to be desired, The meat dishes consisted of a couple of steaks, chicken and a burger. The fresh fish special was not available. Three men chose the rib-eye steak and two requested medium rare. The steaks were thin (1 cm?) and therefore could not really be cooked medium rare. The amount of red meat was about 1/3 of the thickness of the steak, the rest was brown. The only vegetable served with the steak were a few chips. One person ordered a side salad with their steak and when it did not arrive with his meal he was told brusquely that the server "only had one pair of hands". A better response would have been "coming right up" or "be right back". Overpriced and not good value or good service. Will not return any time soon.

2 Thank Ian H
TrelowarrenCornwall, Owner at The New Yard Restaurant, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for your review. Its always helpful to get feedback and especially so when the overwhelming response to the refurbishment and the new menu has been delight and congratulation.
We have a special on the menu and I am sorry that it was all gone by the time you ordered, but it is in the nature of the catch of the day type special that we keep it super fresh and sell out.
We specialise in delicious beef which has been grass reared and the rib-eye is very popular, as is the wonderful cote de boeuf (for 2).They are less well known than the conventional sirloin and fillet but selected for their flavour. I always choose the Bearnaise sauce but that is a personal preference. Fresh vegetables are always available.
This week we have turbot (the king of fish I believe) on the menu which should satisfy the greatest gourmand and the local crab and oysters are always very popular as is the ceviche (another personal favourite). And the puddings ... Wow! That rhubarb sorbet.
Helston, United Kingdom
“I was so disappointed”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I should point out that this is a perfectly "nice" restaurant. You will only be disappointed if you went before the refurbishment. They have decided to appeal to a "younger" audience so instead of the canapes and breads on arrival you get a cocktail list and and a menu containing NYR fries and NYR burger. Nothing wrong with that but its devastating if you experienced it pre re-furb! The worst thing is the same amazing chef is there and whilst there are the odd dishes that showcase his amazing skills in the main he has been forced to do burger and chips!! The staff are still great but have been forced into some youthful uniforms, poor people! This was an amazing place that was truly different to everything else but if you want burgers and cocktails I would have thought you would head to falmouth not to Mawgan. I suppose at 35 i am just not youthful enough to appreciate it but it seems such a shame. I hope they change it back I think they are mad!

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank Charlie A
TrelowarrenCornwall, Owner at The New Yard Restaurant, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
We are rather in love with the restaurant re-fit which 99% of our customers feel looks absolutely amazing.I certainly do. I feel really comfortable dropping in for a coffee, or a fresh lemonade, or quickly getting the boys a burger, or having a wonderful three course dinner. Last Friday I has a Cornish set tart with homemade rhubarb sorbet. Beyond delicious. Change is good.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Have had much better here...”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Five of us visited recently for lunch, all having been before, some many times. The restaurant has been remodelled (I believe after a fire) and on the whole this is successful, although it does feel less spacious than previously.
Service was quick and un-fussy.
We didn't have starters (other than bread with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, with olives - all good), although one of us had the beef carpaccio - cut rather irregularly - as a main course. The lamb was delicious, as was the Cornish mackerel (although quite a bit over-cooked, losing texture). All other main courses were at least satisfactory, with mostly well-cooked and flavoursome vegetables.
All went pretty well until the dessert course, when several of us had affogato. This turned out to be a sorry version of the classic dish, with cold espresso coffee provided to cover the (delicious) vanilla ice cream. Unfortunately, we didn't realize the coffee temperature until it was too late. The overall result, being served in a glass rather than a dish, was rather like a very cold iced coffee. The accompanying soggy amaretti biscuit was strangely in keeping. A (helpful) comment at the end was met with incomprehension, so I do recommend avoiding this dish unless the staff are pre-warned. If it's kept on the menu, could I suggest prefacing 'affogato' with 'NYR' to warn diners?
Overall, good, but certainly not cheap...so NYR, please try harder as real value for money is close by!

• Visited May 2014