“This is paradise”

Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru
Gold Coast
“This is paradise”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We've stayed at some very superior, luxury properties and this one would have to be up there with the very best! We travelled as a family of 4 (children aged 11 and 9 years) and stayed in an overwater bungalow which was extremely comfortable and spacious. The rooms are superbly designed and decorated too.
I must say, I had read quite a few reviews on trip advisor, some of which had made me a little sceptical about this resort but after spending 8 nights there, I would have to strongly disagree with any negative reviews of this property. It is a simply stunning resort which offers unbeatable service! The food's unbelievable too ... some have mentioned in their reviews that the food is a little over priced but if you take into consideration that the produce isn't locally grown and flown in fresh daily, this may substantiate the higher prices.
Stay at the Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru and I promise you won't be disappointed!
Three cheers to the management and staff for a truly memorable holiday!

Room Tip: Choose any room at this property and I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied! We had a sunse...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
MartinCody, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear gndk,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your visit earlier this year to the island. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and I was delighted to know how much you all enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to share your comments with all the team and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon again.

Martin Cody

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is my fourth trip to the Maldives (all stays were in different resorts) and I would rank this hotel third. Below is a summary of what I liked and didn't like:

THE GOOD:
- More water/marine activities than any of the other Maldives resorts I've been to
- Barakat restaurant (this is the middle eastern restaurant...It's your best restaurant option and barely made it to the "GOOD" list)
- Resort's public beach was one of the nicest beaches I've been to in the Maldives.
- Jet ski ride with dolphins...what an experience!
- Picnic beach
- Free internet
- Designated waiting area in Male airport while you're waiting for the sea plane.
- Staff were lovely and friendly.
- Each guest had their own bicycle with their names' initials and villa number

THE AVERAGE:
- Rooms...They're not bad, but no where near the quality of the One & Only or the Shangri-La
- Breakfast buffet
- Blu restaurant

THE BAD:
- Asian/grill restaurant
- Rooms' private beach (villas 108 to 112 has very small and rocky beaches with a lot of shrub)
- The villas had lots of cracks that allowed gecko's to come into the room through. As such, be prepared to be serenaded by the sounds of gecko's all through the night.

Also, the resort keeps boasting that it is UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. I think its just a marketing gimmick because I didn't see anything that I haven't seen elsewhere in the Maldives. Don't get me wrong...The nature is great and extraordinary by any standard. But by Maldives standard its just another atoll.

This hotel has the potential to be great. But they really need a serious refurbishment. First, the beach villas need to be upgraded along with their respective beach areas. Also, they need to revise their whole catering operation.

Room Tip: villas 109-112 don't have nice beaches
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank krazy4Travel
MartinCody, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Krazy4Travel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent visit to the Maldives. While I was happy to note there were many aspects of your stay you enjoyed I was some what concerned about some of the issues you highlighted. I will be sure to look into your feedback in detail and review it with the team.

It is good to know you enjoyed Al Barakat, however I will look into your comments regarding Cafe Landaa and Fuego Grill. We recently launched a new menu at Fuego Grill which we have received great feedback from other guests on. Food likes and preferences differ from guest to guest; the previous reviewer mentioned they felt the quality of food was excellent referring to Michelin Star Standards.

Last year we completed a full make over of the Beach Villa Interiors and this year we are completing the Water Villas. The feedback from regular guests to date has been very positive. In regards the cracks you refer to we will review this; I believe it may be some minor gaps under doors which we can easily fix.

We are very proud to be situated in a UNESCO Biosphere and if more Atolls could receive the same acclamation it would be fantastic. The Baa atoll is unique in the Maldives in that it consists of 73 islands of which only 7 are resorts and 13 local villages; the vast majority of islands and reefs remain beautifully virgin. There are 9 UNESCO protected areas here, amongst which Hanifaru Bay, described by US National Geographic Magazine as one of the best places on the planet to observe manta rays. Yesterday our guests enjoyed swimming with over 40 Mantas there.

During your stay you may have missed visiting our Marine Discovery Centre, where we employ a team of more than ten Marine Biologists who work on educating guests and employees, conducting outreach programmes to the local communities as well as carrying out pioneering research in the areas of Coral propagation, Manta research, sea turtle rehabilitation and ornamental fish breeding. We believe this is a wonderful way of participating in environmental conservation and many guests enjoy these activities as part of their experience on the island.

Should you wish to discuss the details of your stay in more depth please do not hesitate to contact me at martin.cody@fourseasons.com

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Dear Four Seasons Team,

Once again, thank you for making our 2nd stay as memorable and fantastic as the first one. Please extend and share our appreciation with all the extremely nice staff you have at your resort.
Everyday, we were breath taken, with the way you treated us - we cant wait to come back next year

To the reader….If you are looking for unique service and hospitality, 10 stars accommodation and food that equals a Michelin star restaurant, this is the place to be. Op top of that, you have a fantastic Island, unique facilities and everything you need being away from home.

PS: weather during july is great - a shower now and then...but lots of sun

Best regards
Claus Hansen (and Louise)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clausthansen
Dear clausthansen,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent visit. It was a pleasure having you stay with us once again and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your time on the island. I will be sure to share your kind words with all the team. You are indeed correct; the weather in July has been great and has continued on the same front since your departure. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Wow - The most amazing honeymoon ever. From the 2nd we got off the boat after the small airplane ride, we were greeted with fresh coconut beverages. We stayed in a Ocean sunrise villa. Wow gorgeous. Bigger than my apartment almost in NYC. This place was huge. Each villa came with 2 bicycles so we could easily get around the island. The diving was absolutely pristine. Crystal clear water to 100 ft. We were catered to hand and foot. "can i clean you sun glasses?", would you like "frozen water melon" while we were sitting on the beach. Constant exquisite service that i couldnt ask for anything more. The food was amazing. The T-Bar at night was fantastic. Great place to meet people and socialize with other couples. We met some amazing people while we were there. Four seasons killed it! Couldnt have asked for a better honeymoon. Hoping to come back for a 5 year or 10 year anniversary!. We absolutely loved it!. Pure Beauty. We stayed here September 2012

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ross R
MartinCody, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Ross R,

It was a pleasure reading your feedback following your honeymoon trip to the Maldives and thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. You seemed to take in so much of what the island has to offer. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back for that anniversary celebration.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Dear friends at Landaa,
I would like to first and foremost thank you immensely for being like family to us for five days. I just can not describe the courtesy and love shown in abundance to us during our stay. My birthday surprises were so special and so heartwarming. It was absolutely overwhelming since no one has provided me with such surprises in my entire life. I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate it. It was particularly beautiful how all the staff came on to sea bar singing happy birthday with a cake.

We miss everyone at Landaa - Andrea, Akshay, Aditya, Chef Philomin, Saif, Eddy, Sandeep, Farouk, Pradeep, Agus, Mikin, Abdul, Ibrahim, Toi, Chana, Diego, Dr Shylesh, all the buggy crew, water activities crew, house keeping crew and the front desk crew as well. Forgive us for not remembering a few names, but each and everyone is being missed greatly.

Thank you Chef Philomin for the special preparations during our stay, the food was excellent. Thank you Saif for your hospitality we hope to see you soon. Thank you Eddy in Blu, we miss your smile and the time spent at blu. Thank you Ibrahim for the amazing cocktails/ mocktails you prepared and Abdul for your courtesy. We also thank the beach staff for all their assistance.

We also loved our spa treatments with Toi and Chana. It was just absolutly relaxing and energizing. Thank you Chana for standing with my flower halo and singing happy birthday to me after my treatment. It was very sweet of you.

The room, the food, the promptness to details, the fish feeding program, the love, the beautiful smiles of the staff, the water sports is all just hard to explain or compare. It was unmatched in every way. We feel greatly depressed thinking about having left Landaa and hope to see you soon. Please make sure that everyone gets our greeting and best wishes.

Once again thank you for everything!

Regards,
Mr & Mrs Gandhi

Room Tip: 318 sunset no bugs
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank samanthagandhi
MartinCody, at Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Mr & Mrs Gandhi,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review with us following your recent stay. It was a pleasure having you with us and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your time on the island. We are very proud of the commitment of the team each and every day and it is clear from your feedback that they made a very positive impact on your overall experience at the Resort. I will be sure to share your comments with them. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the island soon again.

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We had quite high expectations coming to 4 seasons in Maldives. And they were exceeded by far! Views were stunning, staff always smiling, our ocean house was just amazing and food in the three restaurants just super delicious. We arrived by seaplane directly from Male, is is a trip worth a journey - you see the beautiful archipelago from the air.
The choice of activities is also remarkable. You can go snorkeling, diving, do all kinds of water sports, practice yoga 2x per day, learn about aquatic life with their nice marine biologist etc. We did 4 dives and received amazing service - dive masters prepared all the gear for us, staff on board even cleaned our masks! Everything was very comfortable so we could enjoy the aquatic life by all senses. I liked the yoga classes a lot too. On the top, when I informally asked the Indian yoga instructor for some tips in India, he sent me a letter with all information the other day!
Furthermore, there were these small things, which didn't stop surprising us - eg. shots of their ice coctails received on the beach, everytime you go somewhere they bring you cool water and glasses cleaner. Part of our family has to stick to gluten free diet and the resort is very well prepared for such cases. Overall the staff was very friendly, attentive and we felt very relaxed (which I sometimes struggle in hotels like this one).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristtie85
Dear Kristtie85,

Thank for for sharing your recent experience at the Resort. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and I was happy to note how much you enjoyed your visit. I will be sure to share your kind words with all the team; in particular the Yoga teacher, dive centre team along with the food and beverage team who assisted with the gluten free needs. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back soon again.

Dubai
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I am genuinely surprised by all these positive reviews and seem to overlook obvious issues with this FS resort. Now dont get me wrong, Maldives does have a natural appeal and maybe for most people that alone is enough to have a good experience but objectively this particular hotel has several issues:

1. Absolutely dismal food in all restaurants, the Arabic one in particular. You would think since they get so many Middle Eastern guests they could at least bring in a proper Moroccan chef. As it is they didnt even get Moroccan tea right, not to mention inedible tagine and serving main course and appetizers together (and cold). The South Asian food was also terrible, again this being so close to India how hard could it be?

2. For some reason the new management (since late 2012) has decided to blare loud music at all their F&B venue even during breakfast. Feels like they are forcing you to listen to music despite the fact that the ocean itself proves the best soundtrack. Very annoying.

3. I know the management says they are in process of refurbishing the resort but when I stayed (June 2014) the sunset overwater bungalow was practically falling apart. There are several remotes just to control the A/C, sink in bathroom almost broke and bed was one of the most uncomfortable anywhere by far.

4. The hotel's entertainment system is stoneage with analog TV and no video on demand, Why not invest in a proper system rather than annoying guests with music during breakfast?

If you put this hotel up against places like Sandy Lane in Barbados then its shortfallings become even more obvious. At Sandy Lane you state of the art in-room technology and exquisite food. Its just a shame this Four Seasons had gone down the drain since late 2012.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Dubai101
MartinCody, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Dubai101,

Thank you for sharing such detailed feedback with us following your recent stay however I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your time on the island. We always strive to deliver our guests a truly memorable and relaxing experience. I was disappointed to learn that you did not have a good stay will review your feedback with the relevant departments. We are indeed in the process of remodeling the Water Villas and to date the feedback from guests has been very positive; the project should be completed in the coming weeks.

Should you wish to discuss the above or any other aspects of your stay in more detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly at martin.cody@fourseasons.com.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Landaagiraavaru Island
#4 of 14 in Baa Atoll
Atmosphere Kanifushi Maldives
Atmosphere Kanifushi Maldives
#1 of 1 in Kanifushi Island

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru? Share your experiences!