“Beautiful place, service mostly good, value-for-money”

Thulhagiri Island Resort
Bangkok
“Beautiful place, service mostly good, value-for-money”
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We were looking for a Maldive Hotel based on 4 criteria: (1) house reef where we can snorkle to from the beach, (2) all-inclusive package, and (3) have water bungalows, and (4) speedboat transfer that meets the arriving and departing flights as we were arriving later at night and did not want to spend another night in town in order to catch a seaplane to another resort. Thulhagiri seems to fit these criteria, and at a surprisingly reasonable price. We were afraid that there may be something wrong with it, but did not seem to read any real negative reviews.

When we got there, we waited about 30 minutes for the speedboat, which is ok, for the 25 minutes ride to the Hotel.

Upon arrival, the reception staffs seem a little rude, but we were later helped by Wahid, the Front Office Manager, who is friendly and helpful.

The water bungalow is very nice, especially the new ones. It was nice to have steps directly into the sea. Unfortunately, the current is very strong, so it was safer to swim in the middle of the day (around 11am to 2pm). The sea around the bungalow is very blue, just like having a huge swimming pool outside your doorstep. We never really got to the House Reef, as the current was quite strong, but we could easily see it from the rooms/beach.

The room itself is nice and basic, and the air-conditioning is very good. The balcony is big enough and has nice breeze throughout the day and night. There is no minibar, though there is a refrigerator which you could use to stock up the drinks from the main bar. The bathroom is decent size, though the water pressure on the rain showerhead is not so good. We usually had to use the shower head in the bath tub to finish rinsing off. The first night we did not sleep so well because we were not used to the waves crashing in around us, and once in a while it will rattle the bungalow a little bit. But the next nights, after full days of activities of swimming and snorkling, we slept very well.

I think the all-inclusive package is quite good value compared to a-la-carte. The buffet meals are excellent with lots of variety, though we never really had time to fully appreciate dinner as we ate quickly in order to catch the second half of some football world-cup games, which they showed on a big screen in the bar/lounge area. The bar and restaurant staff were excellent. Even though we supposedly had "fixed" table throughout our stay, we were able to request changes to other tables if that table is available.

The all-inclusive package included 1 boat trip for snorkling, which was quite good. We brought our own masks and snorkles and got the fins from the reception, but you could get the whole set there. We only returned the fins on the last day.

I also did a scuba diving trip with the in-house scuba shop. We went to Manta Point, and were lucky enough to see a big manta. The staff at the scuba shop were excellent.

We also did the spa at the Coconut Spa. There is a promotion for 5 treatments for USD 200, which could be split between 2 persons. I did the scrub, massage and facial, while my husband did the scrub and massage. It was quite good.

The Resort also arranged other activities, but since we were there only 3 nights, we decided just to relax around the island.

By the way, the sand in the sea around the water bungalows are very fine, with some big rocks which you can see easily. We even saw a stingray from our balcony. However, the sand in the sea on the other side of the island where the beach area is, has lots of corals, so it was a bit hazardous to step on if swimming in that area, so must be careful. The swimming pool is very small, and never saw anyone in there except maybe just a dip after the ocean swim.

All-in-all, I think it is value-for-money. The service is mostly good, with the only disappointment being the reception staff, but it was handled pretty well later after we spoke to the Front Office Manager.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
moscow
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Nothing to say - great views, great sea, great sand.
Awful service, insects everywhere - outside and inside the room: huge ants, different lizards etc. If you have no insectophoebia - welcome. Otherwise - go to a 5 star resort.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank EkaterinaGSM
Cairns
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Weve been to this Island tree times now and find it an ideal place to just relax. The transfers were smooth and comfortable,both ways, check in was a little slow but the refreshing drink hit the spot. We choose to stay on the island as we find the Beach Bungalows are more spacious and private,plus we love the local Budgie population.The food, full board was great, diverse ,plentifiull and our waiter organised that we dine under the stars on the deck each evening, which was lovely and in doing that we escaped the smokers,,,,,,,The snorkling on the house reef is easy and the currents aren't too strong , you have to see the visabilty of this water to believe it.It is also very bouant you can float for hours and I recommend a before bed dip the water temp is perfect. One thing , you need to make yourself very clear as to what you want, wine to room, for instance, you may need to follow these simple instruction up with a call to reception, and be sturne... maybe a slight communication breakdown, be sure staff understand you needs and it will happen , in Maldivian time, casual and relaxed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank touringcairns
USA/Russia
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I booked this trip last minute when I decided that I couldn't bear staying home for a week while the little ones were out of school. My husband had to work, so I had to book a tip that would easy alone with two young kids. We decided on this resort because it was close enough to Male to make transfers easy and in case of an emergency, yet far enough for Male to not be in view from the island. Another plus for us was the island very small size, I knew that it would be easy to look after both kids in such a small area.
Usually when we travel without my husband, we go to a luxury resort in Dubai. This time, we were looking for something more peaceful and quaint and we were not let down.
Let me say right off, this is NOT a luxury resort. This is a place to go when you want to leave your Louboutins behind and pack ONLY flip-flops. In fact the entire island is shoe-optional. My kids rarely wore them, even to dinner. I packed 1/3 of the stuff I usually do for a trip to Dubai. Really all you need is some swimsuits, flipflops, shorts, tees and some VERY casual dresses for dinner (or shorts and a tee would be fine, I'm sure.)
The beach was amazing and just like in the pictures. I don't know what everyone else was doing while my kids and I were enjoying the main beach, but they weren't hanging out with us! Since it's dubbed as a "lovers' paradise, I can guess.
The beach huts were not to the standard that I'm used too, but they were fine. Ours was well situated right next to the main beach. Before leaving, I sent and email requesting a beach hut with good access to a sandy beach and they gave me probably the best situated hut for our needs.
One great perk to staying on a tiny island is that the staff gets to know you on a personal level. They were amazing with the kids. The staff both on the beach and in the dining area were fawning over the kids. Our waiter, Afsal, knew what drinks we wanted, the approx time we'd be dining, etc, without our even asking.
Another great perk to this resort is that I booked several excursions for myself and the girls, fully expecting to pay the price for 3 persons (the kids did indeed occupy seats), however, when the final bill was presented the children recieved substantial discounts and for some excursions were not charged. This, to us, was a fantastic value.
As a mom traveling alone, this resort was great. I can see, however, how others might find the resort not ideal. The evening entertainment is lacking (except for crab races, which was a blast), there is only one restaurant and it is overall a very laid back place. Because I was alone with 2 small kids, I did not try the spa, but it looked really nice. If you are looking "to get away from it all" this would be a perfect vacation for you. If you enjoy a bit of luxury, then maybe you'd want to look elsewhere. As a mom with two small kids who was looking for sun, sand and quiet, this was ideal.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank mkouzmine
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Going off some reviews here I was wondering what type of experience we would have with this resort but have nothing bad to say.

My wife and I stayed in one of the new water villas (1 year old we were told). They are very clean and decorated to an okay standard. We loved having a ladder off our sundeck out to the reef. Tea and coffee supplied in the villa. Flat screen 30' TV is also provided only local TV channels so would take a media box if you have children. A glass viewing box has been made into a coffee table which is cool to sit next to and look at the fish. We stayed from Mon-Thur and did not have any trouble with noise from the main stage but could imagine that the closer villas would get quite a bit of noise pollution if they had a big group of people wanting to party. Overall I was very happy with the water villa.

Buffet food was OK and what you would get from a normal 3 star hotel. Could imagine that if you stayed there for a week or more it would get quite boring. We went on the full board as my wife is pregnant. In hindsight should have gone to all inclusive. I would tip your waiter on the first night so you get good service the whole time.

Some prices of goods (USD)....Beer $4.40 can, Soda drinks $3.50 can, Water $3.50 1.5l bottle, sunscreen $20, lighter $1, postcards $1, Fins $5/day, snorkel and mask $8/day, deep sea fishing $350 for 3 hrs, water canoe $45/hr, $6 30min internet....sorry that's all I can remember.

The sunset beach has great people watching from 5.30pm-6.30pm being that my wife and I only meet one other couple that speak English we had a great time watching the goings on of the German's and Asian families.

The island it is beautiful, you can walk around it in 5mins. The reef is about 30m off the beach and lots of action happening like any reef. Sunset beach has a bar that you can order drinks from.

There seemed to be a lot of activities that you could sign up for (something new each day). Didn't use the Scuba dive centre but pricing was about $46/dive including DI, tank, BCD and reg.

Over all we had a great first time in the Maldives.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ukiwi78
Karachi
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Me n my husband went to Thulhagiri Island Resort in june 2008 to for honeymoon. it has turned into a very pleasant and fond memory. the rooms more like your personal beach hut are very cozy, welcoming, neat and spacious with a lot of privacy which is priceless !
The island had just one restaurant but we thoroughly enjoyed having our breakfast lunch n dinner there, the staff was cheerful and live stations were very nice.I think if they can add B.B.Q to their restaurant that would be amazing.
And yeah ! the ping pong tables outside the restaurant were good fun, the pool n gym were being renovated around that time..so we missed that.
The best part were the walks we took at wee hours!! along the beach in the palm trees on the ramp which goes right into the sea!! we plan to go there soon , now with our dear little daughter !.
I want to thank my husband for being soo thoughtful in looking up for such a romantic retreat away from city life n chaos. Love You :)

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bluesky1986
Russia
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Dear friends, excuse me my bad English - I am from Russia.
We were at the Thulhagiri at September, 2009, and liked this little island very much. Transfer from airport was quick, our beach bungalo was situated good, the weather was fine, the staff was friendly and helpful... The food, it seems to me, was good, but a little repeatedly... Girls from Spa-salon are real specialists... In all, we are very satisfied with our holidays on the Thulhagiri.
But I want to say about another things... Yes, there are several kinds of animals on the islands. Mosquitos, ants, birds, lizards... Tourists are wanting to live on a tropical island in a one-floor bungalo under palms, but don't wish to wait tropical insects... What can do hotel's staff? To "sterilize" whole island? To catch ants around ich bungalo? But birds and lizards are eating these insects... Are we wishing to see Thulhagiri budgies and gekkos?
Then. The Maldives are little sandy islands in the open ocean. There are not resources of fresh water, mines, fruitful ground, farms, plantations etc... Only coconut palms and fish in the sea... But every morning guests of Maldives receiving fresh foods, clear towels, taking a bath with fresh water, using electrical gadgets... It seems to me, this is a wonder))) You are living on the little tropical island, but having all goods of civilization!
I am respecting diligent Maldivians very much, and thanking them for our magic rest in their country...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank alfacentavra
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thulhaagiri Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Baros Maldives
#1 of 1 in Baros Island
5.0 of 5 bubbles 2,114 reviews
Malahini Kuda Bandos Resort

Been to Thulhagiri Island Resort? Share your experiences!