13 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.com$975
Travelocity$975
ZenHotels.com$981
1,613 results
All reviews fish restaurant our honeymoon private island beach villa bose sound system plunge pool sea plane ocean facing male airport f b the general manager overwater bungalow sea turtles water sports whisked away the entire staff glass floor
Selected filters
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

True paradise, one of the few places to completely charge your batteries. Our room ( Ocean Oasis) is just perfect, spacious and with a beautiful private terace getting you directly to the amazing reefs. The beach is small ( takes more to walk from your room to any facility, then to take a walk around the main island) but it is perfect and clean. ( besides some naked guests, that honestly i could have lived without with and is a huge contrast agianst the beautiful nature and sunsets). Staff always friendly, and willing to give you an unforgetable stay. No need to ask to speak with the manager, we had problems the first two nights of our stay. The electricity didnt work and after it did, we woke up 10 times during the night cause all the lights sundenly would swich on or the airconditioning would speed up ( movie paranornal activity rings a bell?). You would expect the manager to bother about this, but he never came to us in person and when we ask for him, he was always off duty. ( lucky him). Consider the fact we didnt sleep for two days ( for $4000, not bad) you would expect to have offered something for the inconvience. Not even a bottle of cheap wine in the room with an "excuse me note". Spa is amazing. Not just the incredible view but also one of the best massages. Tonight we will check out the club they have, which was closed untill now because their dj was not on the island... But Overall Conclusion; perfect place to be! To bad for the people "managing" it.....too bad starwood forgets its customers once the facility is completed....BUY starwood shares, they know how to squeeze guests and locals, better than i can do with my morning oranges.

Date of stay: January 2013
7  Thank Procton
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

I was very pleased to hear your comments and meet your in person; I believe that you are now enjoying the rest of your stay and I hope that we were able to change your opinion about W Maldives and Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Again we feel sorry that you encountered such incidences during your first days with us.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2013

It is nice to find something that can still surprise you, even if you are used to nice high-end hotels all over the world. I was with my wife for a brief 3-night stay in an amazing ocean villa (even too amazing... a bit too modern-style maybe) and we realised that four times a day there is someone from the staff changing the doormat (good morning, good afternoon, etc) at the entrance of the "guesthouse". The good point is that the service is totally coherent with such approach: ask and you'll get, always with a smile, whataever you need: food, transportation, a private excursion, a specia request for an anniversary...

The rooms (sorry: villas) are nice, the SPA gorgeous, excursions are very well defined, food is very good too (and you have a choice among several fares). The island is a bit small for my taste (I go pretty often to the Maldives, and I use to take a private chartered boat to avoid the "packed-up feeling"), the beach is nice (but once there you realize that, unless you are a lizard, you can stay there only in the early morning and late afternoon; it is the same wherever you go in the Maldives, obviously).

The "house" lagoon is very nice with nice corals and fishes

Yes, the W is VERY expensive, but, come on... once upon a time...

P.S.: The staff is truly amazing: at Male' airport our homebound flight had a 7-hour delay, and the guy from W who accompanied us was able to reprotect us on another flight (we had tried ourselves, but the answer was a kind but hopeless "no way, sorry" from the airline staff)

3  Thank ItalianWalker
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

It is great to read that you had such a great and relaxing experience at W Maldives – thank you for taking the time to write your comments here on Trip Advisor.
We look forward to seeing you again when you are next in the Maldives.

Regards,

Reviewed January 4, 2013

After extensive research over the different options throughout Maldives, Seychelles, and Mauritius, we elected to spend a week at the W Retreat and Spa, Fesdu Island. I cannot express sincerely enough what a Wonderful time we had. The scenery was idyllic, the talents friendly, the room perfect, the drinks cold and delightful, the food warm and comforting, the sea full of life, etc.

As an adult-only resort, there were zero children. While en route from London, there were plenty of parents who flew their children to holiday in Maldives. And as they were crying and coughing during the flight, I could only be thankful that they were not getting on the same seaplane we were. We do not have children, and while I believe they should travel and see the world too, I did not want to hear them during my week in Maldives.

After diving seven times during the week with the amazing team at Under, I would rank it as some of the best diving I have done. The sea life is abundantly en masse throughout the walls and reefs. We had close encounters with turtles, sharks, devil rays, a mobula, manta rays, millions of reef fish, and even saw a Blue Marlin while on a descent. The dive boat "Wunder" is very well appointed, with the utmost modern amenities for safety, comfort, and easy resort diving. The attentive staff greeted us with a cool wet towel soaked in peppermint as we boarded the boat following each dive. Then, as one of them prepared our equipment for the next dive, another served fresh fruit, coffee, tea, and water, while the Captain ferried us along to the next dive site. I have logged more than 70 dives in some exceptional locations with some great operators, but this level of service goes unprecedented.

The Spa was also great. My wife and I each had wonderful massages, followed by a soaking bath on the sun porch overlooking the water at the house reef. It was truly a day of bliss!

15 degrees below, their night club, is a fun experience for the right person. I am one who happened to like it, but many others would not. They allowed us to buy and smoke good havanas, and have more than 90 Vodkas to choose from, even by the bottle. It made for a fun bit of excitement in the middle of an incredibly relaxing week.

We rented an over the water lagoon side bungalow on the left end of the pier furthest from the island before you reach the suites. It was perfect! Personally, I would not want to stay on the island/ beach area given the fact that I flew nearly half way around the world to get there and do not have plans of returning soon. As much as I would like to, the reality is there is too much to see in this world and there are no guaruntees about tomorrow. The over the water bungalow is an incredible experience if you favor the water. (If not, I am not sure you really want to visit an island that measures smaller than a city block anyways!) Each morning I started my day with a plunge off the deck into the water, up the ladder, and into the infinity pool. I wish I started everyday like that!

Previous reviews left by other guests had raised our concerns over what to expect regarding the quality of the food, and the expense. Frankly though, given my preparedness and understanding of what things cost, and the fact that we were located on a tropical island in the middle of the ocean, I was pleasantly surprised by both. I did have the misfortune of witnessing a couple of very rude guests who were quite outspoken about their disappointment with the quality of the prosciutto flatbread at Kitchen one day during lunch. I thought to myself, after having just eaten the same pizza, "What kind of person comes to such a tiny, remote island in the middle of nowhere and expects to get food of the same quality they may receive in a gastropub in Europe? Of course the ham is better in Parma. It's Parma ham you moron!" My point of view is that every meal we ate was prepared to the best abilities of the staff that was working there, and while it may not be worthy of a James Beard award anytime soon, it is very good. Some favorites were: Grilled Whole Fish, Lobster Burger, Tandoori Mixed Grill, Tuna Rolls, Flatbreads, and the in-room-BBQ.

The wine steward was exceptionally helpful and friendly. While their mark-ups are justified, they are in fact high. Therefore, drinking a nice bottle or two of wine with dinner was a balancing act to find selections that we enjoyed which were below $200 per bottle. The list needs re-working, but I gathered that he is new and intends to iron it out. Spain was very under-represented among their selections in my opinion and would provide a nice variety of values to add.

This was truly a week in Paradise!

Regarding price and expense, DO NOT MISTAKE what I said about the food to suggest that the prices are inexpensive. This is a very high-end destination where the staff outnumber the guests and they cater to your every need. Of course it is going to be expensive, especially by American standards when compared to even TCI, The Caymans, etc.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS RESORT!
I have never been elsewhere in the Maldives, so I cannot fairly say how it compares to others there, but our experience was great.

Room tip: Our room was perfectly located at the far end of the jetty nearest the suites, facing the lagoon. This is away from the seaplane dock, has no insects, and has deep water for swimming.
1  Thank bateau_fisherman

First of all congratulations on your 70th dive and thank you for choosing W for your first stay in the Maldives.
I am thrilled to read that you had such wonderful experiences at the Spa, night club & underwater.

See you soon again in paradise.

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

It was our first time to Maldives and was our perfect honeymoon since we stayed 3 nights in ocean view bungalow it was so private we saw no one from our bungalow. And every morning we woke and could see infinity ocean view was so wow yet peaceful! Many big fishes when jumped into the sea. Then we stayed two nights in Lagoon view bungalow which we saw the beach view and more ppl played water sport outside our bungalow. Fishes are smaller there but it is another kind of view. We tried private dinner on terrance and private BBQ. Private dinner food was good and the dessert were perfect. Private BBQ was another kind of mood.
Cannot miss mention the staff in Wave, Muhammed , he took us snorkeling because I can't swim and my husband booked guided snorkeling for my safety. He showed us baby sharks and wild turtle outside the spa areas with lots of beautiful fishes. Was so memorable and amazing!

Date of stay: December 2012
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Hello Vicky + Eric,

Thank you for celebrating your honeymoon at W Maldives and congratulations on your wedding!
Glad to read that you had such a fantastic W experience, we look forward to seeing you again in our island paradise.

See you soon,

Reviewed December 31, 2012

This place is just amazing. My wife and I spent 7 nights to celebrate our honeymoon and we are glad we chose the W. We stayed in one of their overwater villas and we would recommend to everyone to choose them as the exprience of being above the water is incredible and the rooms are wonderful. We woke up every morning and went to the stairs in our huge deck to go down to the water and do a little snorkel (we saw turtles, sharks, rays!) The whole resort is beautiful, and I have to say i dont agree with other reviewers here saying there was loud music all the time, that is a lie. All the staff is friendly and the service is great, our favourite restaurant was Fish (one day we had sushi cooking classes!) and we loved going to SIP to enjoy the sunset with a Shisha and Wine. The spa is also a must if you want to relax. We would also recommend doing the half-day trip to their private island to get a "castaway" experience.

Of course, activities and dinner are expensive, but what do you expect? You are in the Maldives not McDonalds people!

We cant wait to go back to W in the Maldives, we really miss that place.

PS We booked through Atoll Paradise and they planned everything perfect

3  Thank marrob13
SteveWMaldives, Director of Operations at W Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

It is great to read that you had such a fantastic W experience in the Maldives, thank you for celebrating your honeymoon with us.

We also look forward to seeing you soon again,
Steve