Stayed there for 10 days, booked throgh Kuoni UK, Half Board. We flew Srilankan, not a good airline, food is below average, TV screen very small and horrible quality, staff are ok though. We arrived in Male at night, been welcomed by a velassaru rep and took the boat to the island, it takes 20mns, nothing special. As per my request we have been allocated beach villa 226 on the side of the island I thought was the best: I was right (as always;)). The beach is larger, no view of rubbish island at all, snorkeling ok but not great (I'll explain later). The beach villa is great, very spacious, outdoor bathroom is amazing, loved taking shower outside! The beach villa are quite close to each other so don't expect total privacy however villa 224,223,222 have bushes/trees between them so make it more private. Villa have access to the beach apart a couple of it.
We were on half board so breakfast and dinner. Breakfast food was below average: orange juice from concentrate and weird fresh juice such as cucumber or carrot, lots of savoury, pastries, few fruits, always the same and not in large quantity, and usual english breakfast...I have never seen such a disgusting bacon, the colour of it was like a beige/white. Other wise you can have omelettes done by a "chef" called Stalin !!!!! The staff is 99% from India. The dinner was taken in the same place as breakfast, a large room with tables everywhere a bit cantine style, not nice at all. Dinner was as poor as breakfast: few starter and 99% of western food, nothing from Maldives. We ended eating grilled chicken for 10 days. The worst part is the fact that the food was not warm at all, eveyrything has to be re heating on request as too cold....
We had dinner one night at Sand where there was a Eat as you can buffet of sea food and prawns and squids. Food was again average and The fish comes frozen, not even fresh from the sea, imported as the chef told us. The price of the buffet was 80USD + tax so a total rip off as all the prices of food and beverage in the resort.
Beach is great, plenty of spaces, quiet.
Snorkeling is not impressive at all compare to destination like Malaysia. We saw small ray, samll sharks and various fishes. But again don't expect to be amazed, this is not aquarium style. I recommend Pulau Perhentian in Malaysia for the best snorkling/diving experience ever.
Activities are various but again pricey. We have done a fishing trip (didn't cath anything) for 3 hours, with 20 people on the boat, holding a string with a hook and a piece of fish, no rod nothing. Quite funny though.
The tourists are mostly couple, some with children, from Russia, Europe, Asia ( on a funny note we were amused to see that all the asian couple carries a tripod for their camera at ALL TIME !!!!! So funny to see all of them walking with tripod, eating with tripod, etc...Guess that's the new trend in Asia, don't buy a pet, buy a Tripod instead !!)
Hotel has a big pool facing the ocean.
Internet is provided but you have to enter a code each time you want to use it, pretty boring.
Overall it was 10 beautiful days to relax, read, listen music, chil out with the other half.
However the main issues in my view if the food and the prices.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury Undressed. Gentle sands leading you to the water's edge. Soothing vistas across the spectacular turquoise lagoon at sunset. Minimalist contemporary chic meets comfortable natural elegance in your own private hideaway. Five dining venues, each providing a taste of the exotic. Two innovative bars, the ultimate chill-out. Experiences that immerse you in local culture, underwater explorations that introduce you to our tropical marine world. Days and nights of simple indulgence. Step into the unknown. Welcome to Velassaru. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cancelon, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Velassaru Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Velassaru Maldives Hotel South Male Atoll
- Velassaru Maldives Laguna Beach Male
- Velassaru Maldives Laguna Beach Hotel