Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
Soneva Fushi(Kunfunadhoo)
$1,149
$1,102
  • Beachfront
Royal Island Resort & Spa(Horubadhoo Island)
$149
Hotwire.com
Amilla Fushi(Baa Atoll)
$653
  • Breakfast included
Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas(Kihavah Huravalhi)
$1,045
1,506 results
All reviewslagoon villasand bagsplunge poolbeach barour honeymoonthai restaurantsea planebeautiful islandhalf boardfishdesert islanddive oceandolphin watchingbeach erosiontoilet and showermini baran eyesore
Reviewed September 8, 2012

If you are planning a holiday in the Maldives, I would strongly recommend Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu. It is a perfect getaway. It is Eco friendly n the customer service is top notch. Everything is taken care from the time you check in to the the time you leave this paradise island. The setting is absolutely breath taking and you can plan some exciting activities like scuba diving, manta ray snorkeling etc. The restaurants n the bars are fantastic n cater to almost everyone's taste. The Thai restaurant is simply superb and the morning breakfast buffet has a great spread. The chief chef mr. Pong from Cornius restaurant definitely needs a special mention as his interaction with the guests in finding out the likes of their cuisines just shows a very high level of customer service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SandeepSkydiver
Host D, Manager at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm Greetings from our little paradise!

We thank you for your comments in trip advisor and glad to know that you enjoyed your holidays with us! yes truly said we are eco friendly and we try to maintain our love for nature as much as we can.

We look forward to welcome you back soon

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed at the resort at the end of August 2012 (24th-31st) and can sum it up in one word..fantastic. From the moment you arrive the staff are friendly and very helpful. We had 2 beach villas side by side as we brought our children with us. One for them and one for my wife and I. The representative who escorted us to the villas explained everything including the fact that shoes are not necessary. If we go again we won't be bringing any extra footwear as barefoot it was for the whole week. The food in the restaurant was excellent. We found it to be varied and excellently prepared. It is a buffet but not like any other. Some food is cooked up for you on the spot and ranges from mongolian lamb to chicken snitchel. The fish is excellent as are the naan breads. There is also a wide selection of starters and the deserts are divine. I was having sugar free ice cream and didn't realise it it tasted so good (not the mint though). The service in the restaurant is friendly and efficient and we talked to many of the staff.

The bar is a nice area with a sandy floor. It has the only television that we saw but to be honest my son only wanted to catch a liverpool match. He got on really well with the bar staff talking football, he is 11 but can talk the legs of a donkey. He eventually did the drinks ordering whilst we lounged about. The drinks are a little pricey compared to where I live but compare favourably with London and are priced in dollars ($9/pint, $4.50 lemonade, $13-16 cocktail). We don't drink much but still used $100 per day on drinks in bar and restaurant. Talking of drinks just use tap water for tea and coffee in the room there is no need to use the provided bottled for it. I even drank the tap water once or twice to no ill effect after teeth brushing. There is also a snacks menu which is also well prepared good quality food and has fries if needed.

My wife had a spa treatment which she loved and as it was on an offer was even better for me.

We used the recreation facilities to get masks and snorkels as well as to hire a couple of kayaks for a circumnavigation of the island.
The rest of the time was spent snorkeling all round the island. From in and around the lagoon villas with the lion fish and stingrays to the house reef with sharks and turtles (which lay eggs on the beach). The reef has died off somewhat due to a coral bleaching incident 2 years ago, but there are signs of recovery. Added to this is the coral planting programme recently introduced by the newly appointed resident marine biologist Chiara and something I and my children got involved in. It was nice to talk marine biology with a fellow marine biologist and then do some hands on stuff. We all got to buddy breathe whilst fixing corals to the frame.

As some people have mentioned there are sandbags being exposed due to the erosion of the beach. Whilst we were there we lost 1 meter of beach in front of the villa in one night due to a squall. I didn't particularly mind the sand bags from a visual point of view, I did mind that they broke, emptied of sand, washed out into the reef and snagged on the coral. From my point of view I feel there are much better ways of beach retention using more natural materials, that even if they broke would not subsequently harm the islands environment. I had a long chat with the newly appointed marine biologist about this and she assured me that they were in the process of at least removing those bags that have been washed off the beach. I removed about 50 while snorkeling throughout the week. Some of the sandbags do have communities of fish living in and around them so its not all bad.

The island itself is kept very clean with staff sweeping everywhere, including the beach whilst the sun is up. The villa is also serviced twice a day.

Overall we had a fabulous time. No technology for a week (the wifi is terribly slow so gave up), slept more than we had in years (no TV) ate consistently healthy food (twice a day was enough for us adults, kids had some good snacks) and the friendly happy helpful nature of the staff all added to this being a memorable holiday for the right reasons.
(They do work hard). The question 'would I go back'? can be answered with a resounding yes.

This time of year is the rainy season but we only had one rain storm the first night and a brief shower (5 mins) during the next day. The rest was either blazing sunshine (take high factor cream min 20) or intermittent cloud.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank penrhyn

Dear Valued Guest of Coco Palm,

Warm Greetings from the land of sunshine!

We thank you for such beautiful comments in trip advisor and extremely glad to know that you and your family enjoyed your holidays with us! i agree with your fabulous review but would consider not encouraging drinking tap water! i have passed on your comments and compliments to our team and are happy to hear from you. we look forward to welcome you and your family back to our little paradise!

Wtih Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 3, 2012

... excellent holidays ... but there are some problems ... the biggest problem is in certain areas of the island there is no sand ... to prevent erosion large sandbags are placed in front of some of the beach villas (I advise not to buy these beach villas) ... fortunately I was in a Water Villa (excellent) ...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ANNGC
Host D, Manager at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Valued Guest of Coco Palm,

Warm Greetings from Dhunikolhu!

We thank you for your time in writing your feedback in trip advisor! we are glad that you enjoyed your holidays with us and we look forward to welcome you back to our little paradise!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and I chose CPDK for our honeymoon after much umming and ahhing...we shouldn't have bothered being so worried!

We were taken to the sea plane waiting area after our long journey from Lagos, Nigeria and were glad for the air conditioning and lovely mango juices. One thing to note though is apparently you pay for more than 2 pieces of luggage - I wondered why all our bags were being tagged at Male airport before we got on the shuttle. It was something like $2 per kilo for excess and I was told I had to pay something like $12 which in itself isn't alot but as this was the first time I was hearing about it I put my foot down and it was all resolved from the CDPK Resort.

After the 30minute sea plane ride, and another 5 or 10 minute boat ride to the resort, we were greeted by Veronica who took us to our room and gave us information about the island. She was great and very helpful and made our stay quite enjoyable.

We stayed 6 nights (breakfast included via Booking.com) and we couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon experience.

We were in Beach Villa 6 for 4 nights and Lagoon Villa 95 for 2 nights and they were both worth the experience. The Beach Villa was amazing with its outdoor bathroom...it was very liberating to shower in an open enclosure. Even though we shared a path to the beach, we never saw any of our neighbours on either side. We debated getting this villa or the one with a pool but honestly, you don't need a pool when you've got your very own part of the Indian Ocean a one-minute walk away...and we are glad we went with this choice. The Lagoon Villa was gorgeous. We had a clear view of the sunset and had a jacuzzi, cd player and water-front patio to ourselves. Absolutely breath taking. We just sat on the patio listening to the water all around us. AMAZING!

We didn't do any excursioning but there is loads to do if you're up for it. We just needed to chill out after a stressful planning phase for our wedding which was just a few days before we headed off.

The rooms and the whole resort were very clean and the food was very good...pricey though. We got offered a complimentary honeymoon dinner in the Cornus which does really good Thai food. My husband is used to African portions so we still ordered room service for him afterwards as he was still hungry.

We went for the seafood bbq night which was the only disappointing meal for us. It didn't live up to its $100 price tag unfortunately.

The spa was great! My husband doesn't like being touched and this was his first massage ever (took alot of coaxing). And for someone who fought hard to avoid this booked session, he fell asleep after 10mins! We originally booked the 'Journey to the Maldives' 2hour massage but as he was kicking up a fuss, we had to downgrade to a 50 minute Balinese massage which was very very good.

Aside from that, all the restaurant staff and resort staff were amazing and we will definitely go back. It's the perfect place to go to find your mojo!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MrsJatto

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm Greetings from sunny Dhunikolhu!

We thank you for your feedback and comments in trip advisor adn we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. i agree that the open shower adds lot of local element and sense of place whilst in maldives and its always recommeded to try both of our catergories ie the villas on the beach and lagoon villas to truly experience the difference comfort and luxury.

We look forward to welcome you back to our little paradise soon!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was our 9th trip to the Maldives and the 3rd to Coco Palm Dhoni Kolhu. The overnight BA flight was good and we arrived at about 9am Maldives time. The seaplane flight to CPDK took a little over half an hour and gave excellent views of the atolls. We stayed in a beach villa – initially number 24 (lagoon or west side of the island) but asked to be moved to number 57 (house reef or eastern side of island).
The rooms are large and well equipped although a facelift is perhaps overdue . There is a free litre bottle of water provided every day although you will probably need to buy another one – especially if you want to make several cups of tea and coffee. The room boy (an unpleasantly colonial sounding title) keeps the room well maintained.
The island does suffer from seasonal beach erosion and in August this is at the northern and southern ends of the island. I hope that the resort develops a permanent and better solution to this problem as the sandbags are not what a visitor to the Maldives expects to see – or to see a few loose ones floating in the ocean. This is the only negative point about the island. I seem to remember reading somewhere that a visitor thought it was a long way to walk to the restaurant / bar – but the island is only a few hundred yards long and the sand paths perform wonderful exfoliation for the feet.
The reef is excellent and easy to snorkel over – out to the drop off and sharks, eagle rays, morays, turtles and a wide array of unicorn, trigger, butterfly, damsel etc. fish provide hours of visual spectacle. Who needs a swimming pool when you have the Indian Ocean just a few steps from the door of your bungalow.
The main restaurant provides a wide range of good quality food at breakfast and dinner. We had booked room and breakfast with Kuoni – but got a complimentary meal upgrade to half board. The Thai (Cornus) restaurant is also available and we ate there every night on our previous visit in February this year. It also has excellent food, mainly Thai or grilled fish and meat as well as good service – Razi the waiter is a gem!
The Conch bar has a sand floor, an excellent range of wine and cocktails – it also provides snacks – the sandwiches come with a huge mound of fries. It has a wifi hot spot although I cannot understand why you would go all that way to a tropical paradise to spend time looking at a tablet or smart phone – I prefer the ‘no news , no shoes’ approach. The drinks prices are higher than a UK pub – but probably no worse than an up market London hotel – and remember the logistics – you are on a sandbar in the middle of the Indian Ocean!
We went to two managers cocktail receptions which are for repeat guests – a nice and appreciated touch.
Our daughter accompanied us in her own room and did the PADI dive course – she thought that the dive school staff were excellent and made good friends with Sara.
The staff on the island are very friendly and efficient – thanks to Anas for the rapid room switch and the conversation at the cocktail party - to Kayum , Sameen (hope I’ve spelt that correctly) and Waheed in the bar for excellent service – to Siwana in reception for her help friendly conversation and information.
If I could I’d make this an annual holiday – it is really good value for money. CPDK is our favourite Maldives spot.

Room Tip: If you like sunrises choose the house reef side - sunsets on the lagoon side.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank David D

Dear Valued Guest of Coco Palm,

Warm greetings from sunny Dhunikolhu!

We thank you for your comments and feedback in trip advisor and extremely glad to know that you enjoyed your 3rd visit to the island and overall your 9th visit to maldives! rightly said dhunikolhu is abundantly blessed with rich marine life and perfect destination for snorkeling!

I have passed on your compliments to Anas, Razi and the team and they are equally happy to hear from you.

We look forward to welcome you back to your new found home!