Club Med Kani
  • Restaurant
$2,136
$804
  • Breakfast included
Summer Island Maldives(Ziyaaraifushi Island)
$383
$289
4,721 results
All reviewslagoon suitespecial thankskandu restaurantfirst clubnight showswater aerobicsfishclub roomour honeymoonbeach barsnorkeling tripsfree flowhis teamswimming testblue lagoonbeach volleyballincluded in the package

hello
freinds i visted club med maldives this may end and my experience is very very nice for the resort all the staff members ,cooks, sports, food, drinks and atmosphere are so cool that every one should go once from morning to midnight 1 all drinks and meals are serve on the house , everyday minimum two times different activities are carried on by the resort manager each and every staff are excellent and their speciality is the hospitality they give to the guest
-prem

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We visited Kani in the last week of June 2013. On arrival we were greeted with beautiful scenery and full on smiles from the GO's. We stayed in a club room, and it was fine. Not something I would recommend for honeymoon, but for a normal holiday, you have all the necessities. One thing that I have to admit was that my husband and I were constantly comparing Kani to "Diamonds dream of Zanzibar" as we went there for our honeymoon in 2011. I will provide you with a quick list of everything that put me off, and everything that was excellent.

SHORT VERSION: The food was great! lots of variety and the chance to try something new! the scenery is breath taking, really beautiful and worth taking a lot of pictures. Take reef shoes along as even on the beach there are pieces of corral that hurt your feet. (my husband got a small little cut under his foot while getting ready to sail) Change money to Rufiyaa at the airport as the resort's exchange rate is bad. (Airport: 15 Rufiyaa for $1 at the resort the rate was 14.3) The club rooms are fine for holiday, but not for honeymoon. The GO's, well some are very friendly and helpful, others not so much. Seeing as club med enjoys employing people from all over the world, you get that kind of commercialized feeling from the resort. The water activities are great, just bring extra money for para-sailing, jet ski's and diving, the rest are included. (We paid R2000 for the para-sailing) Make sure you eat at the Kandu restaurant their food was just as amazing and you can watch the baby sharks swim around there. :) Make sure that when you exchange your money, you ask for newer notes as the bank of Maldives do not accept one's with even a small tear in them, so the resort does not accept them either. Take your own snorkel gear with so you can enjoy snorkeling in the lagoon, there you will find a lot of different tropical fish and you can feed them bread and you are sure of a few good photos. Club med Kani, was not what I had hoped for, but it was still a great holiday, except for a few hiccups with the GO's. (SEE below my complaints)

THE LONGER VERSION:

1. FOOD: The food was amazing! The people working in the kitchen, certainly know what they are doing. yes, there was a lot of Asian and Japanese inspired dishes, but if you don't like to try something new, there's pasta, burgers, hot dogs, lamb chops, we had 2 or 3 evenings where beef fillet was served, so there is something for everyone. The waiters are so friendly and we had a great one, Rasel. He knew we drank Coke and made sure we had plenty on the table every lunch and dinner. I have never in my life, enjoyed a resort's desserts as much as Kani's. Wow! I could not wait for lunch and dinner time, just to see what they had whipped up this time.

2. ACTIVITIES: If water-sports are your thing, then you will enjoy all the activities they have on offer. Sailing, para - sailing, jet ski's, tubes, diving, snorkeling and canoe's. The jet ski, parra-sailing and tubes are at extra cost, the rest are included in your stay. The GO's working there are great, friendly and helpful. My husband was taught how to sail and he enjoyed that very much. We went para-sailing and it was amazing. It was expensive, R2000 ($200 US) for the 2 of us for a 15 min trip in the air, but the view was fantastic! It was well worth the money.

Snorkeling trips are twice daily, after breakfast and again after lunch. We went one time, but in the end we just snorkeled in the lagoon and that was so much fun! we fed the fish bread everyday since then and they start to swim towards you as if they know you. :)

3. GO’S: Most of the GO's make you feel welcome, but you get the sense from some of them that if you are not staying in the water villas /lagoon suites, you are not as important. We had a great time with Singh and Hassan. They sat with us most evenings at the bar and we enjoyed their company a lot. Anis, the restaurant manager, the boutique manager and the Chef de Village was exceptional. Daniel was everywhere! You saw him more than you see some of the GO's combined. He is the perfect person in charge of the resort, hats off to him!

******* I do have a few complaints:

1. when I went to reception to buy tokens for washing and drying, I had a $20 note with me, and they did not have change. I could not put it on my room number, because I did not have a $500 (R5000) deposit card. I had to walk back to our room, which was 350m away, back to reception with smaller bills in the correct amount,350 m again, and then back to our room again (350 m again), as the washing area was right behind our room. And for a 4 trident resort, that was a bit pathetic. Not one of the people behind the desk even tried to help me with a solution, for example, they could get some change from the boutique etc. they just pulled up their shoulders and said sorry we do not have change, you have to come with smaller notes. Then you must also remember, they do not accept any notes with a little bit of a tear in them...so see if you can ask the exchange counter for basically pristine notes...

2. The boutique has promotions everyday on certain types of shirts. On our last day, I wanted to buy a shirt I saw during the promotion. The GO working there was the assistant boutique manager. I asked her for the shirt and she said no, the shirt is only available on certain days of the promotion. I was a bit shocked as I told her I would pay the normal boutique price. I went to Anis, he called the boutique manager and she said it was no problem. We went to the boutique and she went into the back, brought me the shirt and asked the assistant to help me...

3. At the Kandu restaurant we had a reservation for the Friday evening. Now, this is the more fine dining experience. Our boat was leaving at 20:00 so we asked, again, the assistant manager, if it would be possible to come and eat 18:45 (dinner only starts at 19:30) his direct words were: "It would be possible, but I would rather not do it as I have to ask one waiter to come in early and the chef must also come early to prepare the food."
By the way, it was a set menu with soup, a starter,a main and dessert...

If I were ever going to Maldives again, it would not be to club med Kani, but some other resort that is not coupled to a group.
There are no waiters walking up and down the beach, as we had in Zanzibar and Mauritius, we had to walk up to the bar, get a drink and then when you're back at your space on the beach, your drink was empty. Some of the barmen aren't trained that well, seeing as one day I drank a Margarita and it was perfect, the next day I could not get it down as the amount of tequila put in there was overwhelming!
If you just want an island experience, you are much better off to go to Zanzibar or Mauritius. The people working their are native to the country and they care about what you experience, and the resort is not as commercialized as Kani. I found that at those two islands, people go out of their way to make you feel special or help you if they can. My husband was sick on the last night of our trip in Zanzibar, and could not go down to the restaurant to eat, (it was also a restaurant where we had a reservation) after asking them if we could eat in our room, they put our order in front of everyone else's and it wasn't even 10 minutes and two waiters arrived with our food and they both expressed how sorry they are that he is sick and that they hope he feels better soon and if we need anything else we must let them know.

The experience was much more personal and I believe there are certainly resorts in the Maldives where you can find that personal experience as well, but not at Club Med Kani.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lientjiepelser
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was a first Club Med experience for me and I can honestly say that I am ‘sold’ on the entire concept. I went on the trip with three friends all between the ages of 27 and 29. We have often travelled together in the past and we were looking for a very easy trip to book with minimum fuss and we chose Club Med Kani.

We flew Emirates as part of our package, which was a fantastic experience. We arrived at Male airport at 08:30 in the morning and Club Med staff members were already waiting for us. We boarded the boat transfer right away and within 30 minutes we were getting off onto the beautiful Kani jetty.

The entire trip from there was a fantastic blur of snorkelling, great food, ‘crazy signs’ and sun. Here is some detail on each of those things:

The Snorkeling:
By far the highlight of the Maldives and especially Club Med Kani, is the snorkeling. There are two guided trips daily led by experienced guides. We managed to squeeze in a total of 15 trips for the week and each one was magical. There seemed to be an endless supply of snorkelling sites near the resort and we visited a different one each time. I have snorkeled in Zanzibar, Mauritius and the Florida Keys before and can honestly say this was the best of the lot. We swam over ‘drop offs’ at the edge of shallow reefs and deeper waters. We saw sea turtles, different kinds of rays, moray eels and countless colourful fish. The equipment was of a very high quality (mask, snorkel and fins). VERY special thanks to Suna, Kurt and Kento for being such fun and enthusiastic guides and for making our trip what it was (and having the energy for crazy signs and the evening show after all that!). You owe us and Manta Ray sighting so we’ll have to come back for that! For us, the snorkel trips were the absolute highlight.

The Food
There is one buffet and one al la carte restaurant both of which are included in the package. There is a huge variety of food with an emphasis on various Asian options to cater for a majority of their guests. There are also the ‘western’ standards of pizza, pasta and French fries available regularly. Anyone should be able to find something to their taste but for me, local is always better so the fresh grilled fish served at both lunch and dinner every day was fantastic. The fresh fruit, as on most tropical islands, was abundant. Our compliments go to the pastry chef for fantastic desserts every day. There is also almost constant snacking so nobody should worry about being hungry.

Drinks
All basic drinks and alcohol are included in your package. They have a selection of house cocktails but will make different ones if you ask. Any special brands will cost you extra. Special thanks here to one of the bar ladies, Yoli for making us endless delicious ‘Tropicana’ cocktails as well as several (hundred) caipirinhas and mojitos. She made fabulous cocktails and was a very gracious host. Thanks Yoli!

Rooms
We stayed in one of the regular resort rooms, at the furthest end of the island (MAX 500 metres). The meander to and from the room in a forest of palm trees in the sand was a pleasure and anyone who complains about this short distance is blind to the beauty and tranquillity of the island. The rooms I would rate as average. They are very clean (except under the beds) and the fittings are modern. Some of the fittings showed a bit of wear and tear i.e. light bulbs out and broken shower head holder. These were tiny problems which didn’t affect us at all. We were not in the rooms except to shower and sleep. Each evening we got a tropical flower on our beds and sometimes even towel animals – love the attention to detail!

General
Some of the other activities we took part in were a sushi making course, aqua gym, kayaking around the island and the variety shows each evening. All these are included in the package. One of the best parts of the Club Med concept is ‘Crazy Signs’. On paper it seems silly but when you’re in the holiday spirit, nothing could be more fun than joining to GO’s in these crazy dance routines. Check your dignity at the door everyone – this is too much fun to be bashful!

Overall I would say the staff and Kani are its best asset. They honestly made this trip one of the most memorable of our lives. Thanks to Andy, Suna, Kurt, Kento, Yoli and Rae for everything.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank seasunsangria
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We've been to other Club Meds, and so I have to say we were comparing it to prior clubs. Once we stopped doing that, we started to enjoy our experience more.
Pros: BUNGALOWS are like no place we've ever stayed. **Ask for one at the end of the row, and they will let you move in when one opens**. The views are superb, and you can access the lagoon from your own personal ladder/deck, complete with a freshwater outdoor shower. Snorkel right off your back porch! They even supply your room with food/drink/etc. 2x/day so you don't have to ever leave if you don't want to (perfect for honeymooners). STAFF: The club has the same general Club Med feel. The Chef de Village is SUPERB--enthusiastic and makes an effort to meet each GM. GOs go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
Cons: GUESTS: If you are an American, be prepared that there are literally NO other Americans (depending on what you are looking for, this could be a pro or a con ;-) ) There are some South Africans and Aussies... but literally no Americans! DIVING: not what we had expected...it's on site (which is always a huge plus), but there were at most 6 divers on the boat at a time. We thought this was a diving Club Med destination but apparently not! FOOD: There is a massive amount of Asian food (considering the guests are mostly Asian). The Indian food is delicious for sure. If you are looking for white chocolate bread (famous at the Turks and Bahamas resorts), be warned that they only cook it one night per week. We asked the pastry chef and he made us a special loaf the day before we left! ;-) SHOWS: Were not the quality we've seen at other clubs, and were actually REPEATED during our 7 day stay there (haven't ever seen that before).

Room Tip: Request a bungalow room at the end of a pier!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WildernessDoc
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I have just arrived from an absolutely amazing holiday at Club med Kani. We are gernally big fans of Club Med but I think this resort is one of their best.
All the staff are super friendly and really go out of their way to make your stay wonderful.

We are keen divers but I have to say that it was not the best I have ever expereinced, as the Maldives is rated one of the best in the world. The coral is very dead BUT the fish we saw were spectacular. I have never seen such a large concentration in one area.
It is very pricey - bank on R1000.00 a dive.

Meals were not amazing, infact it is the same meal every day. But bear in mind when you are eating buffet it is what you can expect.

We stayed in a beach villa and I wouldnt change it for the world, you can literally fall face first into the sand from your door. The beach is outstanding (cleaned every morning).

Room Tip: Beach villas to the left of the resort are defintaly the way forward. Beautiful scenery and closer to all amenities
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family