“Paradise”
Review of Diamonds Athuruga

Diamonds Athuruga
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Athuruga Island
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed in a water villa the first week of July. Prior to arriving, our expectation was that this resort would only be 90% as good as the photo's and brouchures, however, if you can believe it, this island, the resort, the accommodation, the service, the management and staff make this a 110% location. We will definitely go back next year and if chilled paradise with a hint of elegance is what you are looking for, then this is it! I am envious of all you people reading this review who will visit this paradise location before we return next summer !

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Happy L
There are newer reviews for Diamonds Athuruga

Reviewed July 20, 2014

This island is truly beautiful. White sand, turquoise water, and panoramic views of the stunning Indian Ocean.

We stayed for 10 nights in July 2014 in a sunset water villa which at this time of year are on the lagoon side (I believe at other times of the year they are on the reef side). We had sun all day, and a stunning sunset view, which was breath-taking most days.

Accommodation -
The Water Villa was amazing. The huge decked outside area was amazing for sunbathing, reading, eating breakfast and relaxing. The Villas are far enough apart that you can't really hear anything else apart from the sound of the ocean, and all have blinds and curtains if you wish to have added privacy from your neighbours. The steps from our villa led down to the lagoon, where we snorkelled with stingrays and some lovely colourful fish. Small reef sharks and nurse sharks also swam in the lagoon.
The interior of the villa was very stylish. A large comfy bed and clean white furniture created a tranquil atmosphere, and the air-con was welcome after returning from the heat of the day.

Reef -
One of the best reefs I have had the pleasure of snorkelling. Turtles, Sharks, Rays, and thousands of amazing fish. Every day guided snorkelling tours (free of charge) were done by the on-site biologists, and I would thoroughly recommend these to get the most out of the marine life. Wendy and Lele especially were amazing, and went out of their way to make us happy.

Food -
We ate breakfast most days on our decking (definitely recommended for a lazy morning), and had lunch and dinner most days in the water villa restaurant. We tried the buffet restaurant for lunch one day but weren't overly keen. The food in the water villa restaurant was mostly very good but not as good as it could have been. A couple of tweaks here and there, and with the quality of the seafood which they serve, it would be exceptional.
The service in the restaurant was perfect for us. Our waiter Haam managed to pitch his service at exactly the right level and it was a pleasure to chat with him whenever we went to eat - he is a huge credit to the team.

Service -
Without exception, every member of the team was friendly and chatty - very impressive!

Entertainment -
Athuruga could do with a little more life at night, and a bit more variety in the music. The last bar closes at midnight - which is a little early for us, so after last orders we tended to go back to the room wanting a little more.

Trips -
We did "Sunset snorkelling", "Manta Ray", "Whale shark" and "Big Game Fishing". All were well organised and enjoyable, even though we were unlucky and didn't get to see any Whale Sharks. Be aware that the water can be choppy (especially in Wet Monsoon) and may not be suitable for those who get sea-sick.

Weather -
6 hours of torrential rain in 10 days. Considering it was Wet Monsoon, we were incredibly lucky. It's hot!!!! The breeze from the West was welcome, and helped to keep the temperature moderated most days.

Overall, this place is absolutely amazing. The few negatives mentioned here are vastly outweighed by the huge amount of positives. It was going to be a 'once in a lifetime' trip for us, but I can't imagine never returning to this idilic paradise, so will have to start saving the pennies. It's not cheap, but I think represents good value for money.

Room Tip: Sunset Water Villas are different depending on the time of year. I preferred being towards the far e...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Time_to_diet
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We had booked the Diamonds Athuruga with Kuoni and were staying for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The seaplane transfer was very smooth, and when we landed at the resort, a boat picked us up and we were welcomed by the resort manager Stephen. We had booked two nights in the beach villa and 5 nights in the water villa. Beach Villa accommodation was fine and the room had an outside shower which was lovely. (Beach Villas did not have internet access, but complimentary access was available in the lobby area) We were all inclusive and the mini bar was well stocked with wine and other drinks. The water villas were something else. Great outlooks to the sea and very private. The water villas were very well set out and they all had Apple Imacs and internet access. This was the perfect location for couples and people on honeymoon. The island was small and you could walk around the island in 7 minutes. If you want a relaxing holiday / break with no TV this is the place for you. If you like diving then the reef dives were great. They had two main restaurants. One was all inclusive buffet style (You had a good choice of food and they also had a pasta station were you could have fresh pasta cooked) Again a good selection for breakfast, lunch and evening meal. The sea restaurant was for people stopping in water villas and they had set-menus each day. I can not fault the resort / hotel on any grounds. It was the perfect location and staff were truly amazing. All very helpful. (Especially Tammy from South Africa) If you are looking to visit the Maldives and dont want a swimming pool then you could not find a better place to relax and chill out.

Room Tip: You have a choice of Sunrise or Sunset Villa's Sunset is the best choice as the Water Villas a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Paul_Gilbert
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Well what can you say?? Having lived in, traveled to and visited a lot of countries and stayed in a lot of places, from my backpacking days in Oz and Asia (more years ago then I like to think about!!) staying mostly in Hostels to many years later in many top class Hotels all over the world courtesy of my job I thought I'd seen it all......I was wrong!!!!
I chose this island for my 50th birthday celebrations over destinations such as Bora Bora, Cook islands and Hawaii and I feel incredibly luck I did.

Athuruga is simply FAULTLESS and I don't say that lightly. I could have stayed in any suite at any Marriott or Sofitel in the world for free courtesy of the points I have accrued but I am so glad that I chose to pat out of my own pocket and stay here.
Many thanks to Roxanne at Kuoni Southampton for strongly recommending this island.

In summary

Rooms.. Pay for a water bungalow, no words or pictures do justice to just how spectacular they are... The extra money is well worth it.

Food... The Over Water Restaurant menu and food is excellent. I have read criticism of it in some reviews which has me stumped!! Lunch and Dinner has four courses each with an option of four different dishes which are very varied so something for everyone. For example atypical evening meal would have a choice on they mains of Beef tenderloin, rack of lamb, Marlin and Duck Breast. Full marks to the Chef, I can be a grumpy so and so when it comes to food but the variety and quality surpassed den my favorite restaurants at home. NOTE TO ISLAND MANAGEMENT. I would post an example of a typical menu on your website it would soon put to bed any concerns people have over variety and quality of dishes served.

Beach.... So white it will hurt your eyes without sunglasses.

Reef.. Whether you just want to splash about in the lagoon or venture out on to the House reef you will have your breath taken away by the variety of the marine life. You can rent an underwater camera for $42 a day but I would strongly recommend investing in one before you come. Especially if you want to make your friends envious on your return!
Quite rightly, Wendy, the Marine biologist and snorkeling guide gets many a mention in previous reviews but the entire Water Sports team deserve a mention as they are all exceptional.

Service in both bars and restaurant was excellent. We where assigned Farooq in the Water Villa restaurant and despite the second week of our stay occurring during Ramadan and the Muslim staff refraining from drinking or eating from dawn to dusk the standard of service never faltered and the smile never left his face.

My plan over the next few years was to visit other Maldivian islands or the South Pacificbut I will be returning to Athurugha. The reason? The Maldives or South Pacific is not a cheap place to go and the worst thing that could happen to anyone is to travel all that way and spend all that money and come home disappointed. Trust me if you go to Athurugha you won't be.

Finally big round of applause to Stephen the island manager for running such a happy and tranquil piece of paradise so well

Room Tip: Go in June or July. It is low season and much cheaper. We went in June and had perfect weather for 1...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank DaveA350PM
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Totally fabulous place and amazing people. The island of picture postcards. Totally spoilt staying here. Can't wait to go back. Water villa a must beach apartments ok but a little dated. Definately the quiet peaceful getaway. The island of no news no shoes. Love to return here one day.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank ANGELDUST100
Reviewed June 23, 2014

On arrival on the sea plane we were greeted by Tammy who showed us to our room. Transfer was very slick with no hanging around after a 11 hour flight. Our beach villa No 48 was stunning and approximately two metres from the waters edge. It was very spacious, brilliant air con and very clean. The restaurant was superb with lots of variety- freshly cooked fish to order ! We were looked after by Mohammed who was the head waiter who just couldn't do enough for you. The Dive team were excellent, ensuring we dived at the best sites available. We were privileged to see Eagle Rays, Shark, Turtles, Sail Fish and many more.Wendy would ensure the snorkelling trips were made very interesting and was only too pleased to pass on her knowledge. The bar staff were fantastic anticipating our every need. We will be booking for next year. Paradise and top quality. Back next year !

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Eddie N
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is the second time that we have visited the Maldives and the first time was amazing so we did have very high expectations. I am pleased to say they were exceeded. Athuruga isn't one of the biggest islands in the Maldives but it has everything that you need. The Reef is great and if you have never snorkelled before the guided tours are great (these are free). We stayed in a Water Villa which was amazing. The Villa is very spacious and is very comfortable with a massive ouside seating area where you can even have your breakfast served if you wish. We ate nearly all of our stay in the overwater restaurant where Haam our waiter got to know us and gave great service. Due to my Partner being Gluten intolerant Tom the F&B Manager along with Haam made sure that there was always a good choice. Gluten free bread was baked freshly every day and they also had Gluten Free pasta. Even the Chef would come out and go through the menu. All of the staff were extremely helpful and due you were always made to feel that you were getting a very personal service from all of the team. There is nothing negative that I can say about this Island, yes it is not the biggest but that is part of its charm and the reason that you get very personal service. We would certainly go back.

Room Tip: Kuoni sell Sunset & Sunrise water villas but when we were there the sun went right over the midd...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Vakarufalhi Island
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Mirihi

Been to Diamonds Athuruga? Share your experiences!