“What can you say?”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Athuruga Island
Port St. Mary, United Kingdom
“What can you say?”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Well what can you say?? Having lived in, traveled to and visited a lot of countries and stayed in a lot of places, from my backpacking days in Oz and Asia (more years ago then I like to think about!!) staying mostly in Hostels to many years later in many top class Hotels all over the world courtesy of my job I thought I'd seen it all......I was wrong!!!!
I chose this island for my 50th birthday celebrations over destinations such as Bora Bora, Cook islands and Hawaii and I feel incredibly luck I did.

Athuruga is simply FAULTLESS and I don't say that lightly. I could have stayed in any suite at any Marriott or Sofitel in the world for free courtesy of the points I have accrued but I am so glad that I chose to pat out of my own pocket and stay here.
Many thanks to Roxanne at Kuoni Southampton for strongly recommending this island.

In summary

Rooms.. Pay for a water bungalow, no words or pictures do justice to just how spectacular they are... The extra money is well worth it.

Food... The Over Water Restaurant menu and food is excellent. I have read criticism of it in some reviews which has me stumped!! Lunch and Dinner has four courses each with an option of four different dishes which are very varied so something for everyone. For example atypical evening meal would have a choice on they mains of Beef tenderloin, rack of lamb, Marlin and Duck Breast. Full marks to the Chef, I can be a grumpy so and so when it comes to food but the variety and quality surpassed den my favorite restaurants at home. NOTE TO ISLAND MANAGEMENT. I would post an example of a typical menu on your website it would soon put to bed any concerns people have over variety and quality of dishes served.

Beach.... So white it will hurt your eyes without sunglasses.

Reef.. Whether you just want to splash about in the lagoon or venture out on to the House reef you will have your breath taken away by the variety of the marine life. You can rent an underwater camera for $42 a day but I would strongly recommend investing in one before you come. Especially if you want to make your friends envious on your return!
Quite rightly, Wendy, the Marine biologist and snorkeling guide gets many a mention in previous reviews but the entire Water Sports team deserve a mention as they are all exceptional.

Service in both bars and restaurant was excellent. We where assigned Farooq in the Water Villa restaurant and despite the second week of our stay occurring during Ramadan and the Muslim staff refraining from drinking or eating from dawn to dusk the standard of service never faltered and the smile never left his face.

My plan over the next few years was to visit other Maldivian islands or the South Pacificbut I will be returning to Athurugha. The reason? The Maldives or South Pacific is not a cheap place to go and the worst thing that could happen to anyone is to travel all that way and spend all that money and come home disappointed. Trust me if you go to Athurugha you won't be.

Finally big round of applause to Stephen the island manager for running such a happy and tranquil piece of paradise so well

Room Tip: Go in June or July. It is low season and much cheaper. We went in June and had perfect weather for 1...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank DaveA350PM

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Totally fabulous place and amazing people. The island of picture postcards. Totally spoilt staying here. Can't wait to go back. Water villa a must beach apartments ok but a little dated. Definately the quiet peaceful getaway. The island of no news no shoes. Love to return here one day.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank ANGELDUST100
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

On arrival on the sea plane we were greeted by Tammy who showed us to our room. Transfer was very slick with no hanging around after a 11 hour flight. Our beach villa No 48 was stunning and approximately two metres from the waters edge. It was very spacious, brilliant air con and very clean. The restaurant was superb with lots of variety- freshly cooked fish to order ! We were looked after by Mohammed who was the head waiter who just couldn't do enough for you. The Dive team were excellent, ensuring we dived at the best sites available. We were privileged to see Eagle Rays, Shark, Turtles, Sail Fish and many more.Wendy would ensure the snorkelling trips were made very interesting and was only too pleased to pass on her knowledge. The bar staff were fantastic anticipating our every need. We will be booking for next year. Paradise and top quality. Back next year !

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Eddie N
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is the second time that we have visited the Maldives and the first time was amazing so we did have very high expectations. I am pleased to say they were exceeded. Athuruga isn't one of the biggest islands in the Maldives but it has everything that you need. The Reef is great and if you have never snorkelled before the guided tours are great (these are free). We stayed in a Water Villa which was amazing. The Villa is very spacious and is very comfortable with a massive ouside seating area where you can even have your breakfast served if you wish. We ate nearly all of our stay in the overwater restaurant where Haam our waiter got to know us and gave great service. Due to my Partner being Gluten intolerant Tom the F&B Manager along with Haam made sure that there was always a good choice. Gluten free bread was baked freshly every day and they also had Gluten Free pasta. Even the Chef would come out and go through the menu. All of the staff were extremely helpful and due you were always made to feel that you were getting a very personal service from all of the team. There is nothing negative that I can say about this Island, yes it is not the biggest but that is part of its charm and the reason that you get very personal service. We would certainly go back.

Room Tip: Kuoni sell Sunset & Sunrise water villas but when we were there the sun went right over the midd...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jonny5-s
Sydney
Reviewed June 19, 2014

This is the most perfect location for a honeymoon. From the moment we arrived it was total heaven. The sea plane to the island, the greeting by the friendly staff, the sophisticated design of the water villas, the turquoise perfect ocean, the lovely food, the brilliant cocktails plus the shop at the hotel where surprisingly I brought the best pair of Celine sunglasses. All the hotel staff including Zydad (I’m not sure if that is the correct spelling so sorry) who looked after us so perfectly for every meal and Wendy (who lead a great snorkelling tour) were amazing. It is really the most amazing place to come and relax is the most perfect surroundings. We loved it from the moment we arrived till our sea plane departed. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in Water Villa 6. It was perfect for sunrises/sunsets and is protected from the wind.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ffrenchie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Our first time in the Maldives. The holiday started off all wrong as our flight was severely delayed, therefore missing our sea plane and staying in a below average hotel in Male. Trying to keep our spirits up, we finally arrived to the warmest welcome in Athuruga by one of the service managers Tammy.
Shown to our first room of our stay, a beach bungalow and blown away when the patio curtains were pulled back! Beautiful. We knew our holiday had just picked itself up again.
Spent the remainder of the stay sitting on the beach, snorkeling, reading, soaking in some sun....and indulging in the freshest dishes on offer in the buffet restaurant.

Khan and Tito, the chefs, came to know exactly how I like my eggs poached for breakfast and fish grilled for lunch. Consistently good every time. Our waiter, was always present with a smile. He quickly learnt which wine I preferred and could easily guess the drink of choice for my husband. Such warm service.

However, the food and beverages manager Tom went above and beyond to ensure our stay was comfortable. He quickly came to know of my preference for soya milk and afternoon iced coffees. For the remainder of my stay, I could request an iced soya coffee at anytime and the waiters and bar staff delivered.
Being a tropical island, I saw a cockroach on one occasion. Again Tom took this on board and initiated doubling efforts in spraying insect repellents around the resort and the bungalows when the rain fell. For those who are interested, we left Athuruga without a single mosquito bite!
My husband mentioned how much he liked the fresh coconut ice cream. Tom saw to it that the chefs always brought some out when my husband fancied something else than what was on display.

We were having a fantastic holiday only for it to get even better. We had asked to book a few nights in a water villa towards the end of our stay. Tammy exceeded expectations. We were offered a few nights in a sunset water villa suite with our own private jacuzzi and huge sun terrace. An Incredible room, even if it rained, you could not get us out of the jacuzzi! I particularly like the delicately embroidered linen robes, music playlists on our own mac and breakfast on our private terrace and a visit from a stingray.

Note, we preferred our interactive buffet experience to the set menu at the over water restaurant. Just a personal preference as the buffet offered more choice, therefore would appeal to all palates.

The water sports team were always enthusiatic. Being a non confident swimmer, they always put me at ease when I joined for the guided snorkles. Note: fins and mask can be hired for free for the duration of your stay.

Note: evening entertainment was hit and miss. There was a quiz one night and unfortunately was delivered in Italian (there was a large Italian group still up that night). This was a shame, I would have liked to have joined in but did not want to request they speak in English. No problem, we spent time by the bar and enjoyed our cocktails made just the way we had requested. Another night was a David Attenborough documentary of life under the sea. Very interesting considering we had seen some of the sea life under the waters, a great opportunity to learn a little more. All in all evening entertainment was relaxed. You could be as involved or completely detached as you choose.

We left thinking Athurugas beauty has spoilt all islands for us. The colourful waters and the pristine white beach did not compare to even the beauty seen in Hawaii or the Carribean. I was not expecting this!

To conclude, if you are looking for a relaxed, luxurious, beautiful island with exceptional service and a great house reef, I would not hesitate with booking Athuruga.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SunSeaShelly
Farnborough
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We visited this island for the second time in the beginning May. We again stayed in a beach villa for 7 nights and water villa for the last two nights. We were disappointed again that inspite of giving a room range of eight rooms and recommending this island to 6 of our friends we again didn't get our request. We were in villa no 11 overlooking the water villas and the breezy side of the island at that time of year. There are no changes to the island other than most of the staff are new and also anew manager Stephen who was often visible .The food is good but becomes repetitive after seven nights. There is a different theme each night but there was not really a lot of difference each night. .You will never be hungry but it is not the best food we have had in the Maldives. We had bad weather for the first four or so days which we knew was a risk so actually did miss a TV in the room or a dvd player .Luckily as a party of eight we made our own entertainment in the bar with made up quizzes etc. Because of the initial bad weather we appreciated the water villas more this year. It has been said before how gorgeous they are with the most comfy bed, It was nice to eat in the water villa restaurant for a couple of meals but again we felt this menu could be improved. It is still the most idyllic island we have been to and absolute paradise/ We would return .

Room Tip: We would have liked to have been on the reef side when we were in the beach villa
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Mirihi
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Huvahandhoo Island

Been to Diamonds Athuruga? Share your experiences!