Well what can you say?? Having lived in, traveled to and visited a lot of countries and stayed in a lot of places, from my backpacking days in Oz and Asia (more years ago then I like to think about!!) staying mostly in Hostels to many years later in many top class Hotels all over the world courtesy of my job I thought I'd seen it all......I was wrong!!!!
I chose this island for my 50th birthday celebrations over destinations such as Bora Bora, Cook islands and Hawaii and I feel incredibly luck I did.
Athuruga is simply FAULTLESS and I don't say that lightly. I could have stayed in any suite at any Marriott or Sofitel in the world for free courtesy of the points I have accrued but I am so glad that I chose to pat out of my own pocket and stay here.
Many thanks to Roxanne at Kuoni Southampton for strongly recommending this island.
Rooms.. Pay for a water bungalow, no words or pictures do justice to just how spectacular they are... The extra money is well worth it.
Food... The Over Water Restaurant menu and food is excellent. I have read criticism of it in some reviews which has me stumped!! Lunch and Dinner has four courses each with an option of four different dishes which are very varied so something for everyone. For example atypical evening meal would have a choice on they mains of Beef tenderloin, rack of lamb, Marlin and Duck Breast. Full marks to the Chef, I can be a grumpy so and so when it comes to food but the variety and quality surpassed den my favorite restaurants at home. NOTE TO ISLAND MANAGEMENT. I would post an example of a typical menu on your website it would soon put to bed any concerns people have over variety and quality of dishes served.
Beach.... So white it will hurt your eyes without sunglasses.
Reef.. Whether you just want to splash about in the lagoon or venture out on to the House reef you will have your breath taken away by the variety of the marine life. You can rent an underwater camera for $42 a day but I would strongly recommend investing in one before you come. Especially if you want to make your friends envious on your return!
Quite rightly, Wendy, the Marine biologist and snorkeling guide gets many a mention in previous reviews but the entire Water Sports team deserve a mention as they are all exceptional.
Service in both bars and restaurant was excellent. We where assigned Farooq in the Water Villa restaurant and despite the second week of our stay occurring during Ramadan and the Muslim staff refraining from drinking or eating from dawn to dusk the standard of service never faltered and the smile never left his face.
My plan over the next few years was to visit other Maldivian islands or the South Pacificbut I will be returning to Athurugha. The reason? The Maldives or South Pacific is not a cheap place to go and the worst thing that could happen to anyone is to travel all that way and spend all that money and come home disappointed. Trust me if you go to Athurugha you won't be.
Finally big round of applause to Stephen the island manager for running such a happy and tranquil piece of paradise so well
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Athuruga Island Resort is the twin island of its sister Thundufushi. The island comprises of a thick vegetation of coconut palms and surrounded by powdery beach which extends to one side of the island. The lagoon on this side is small and the superb house reef is within the swimming distance while on the other side the lagoon is very large, sandy and is ideal for paddling around. Athuruga Island resort is best described as an elegant and intimate holiday resort with a high standard of service which offers offer All Inclusive only. There are only 51 rooms, named as 46 Beach Bungalows and 05 garden Villas. Catamaran, laser boat, canoe, windsurfs offered free to guests who must be experienced & licensed for these activities. Snorkeling equipment are offered free against a deposit towards loss of damage. Free guided snorkeling on house reef daily. Free laundry service. Aerobic, stretching, water gym and dance lessons free of charge.1 sunset fishing and 1 fisherman island excursion per stay included free. Beach towels provided free. Free doctor's service and infirmary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotwire and Priceline so you can book your Diamonds Athuruga reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamonds Athuruga Beach And Water Villas
- Diamonds Athuruga Beach & Water Villas Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Athuruga Hotel South Ari Atoll