Diamonds Athuruga
$890
$686
Agoda.com
  • Beachfront
Kandolhu Maldives(North Ari Atoll)
$741
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Ocean Beach Inn(Hangnaameedhoo Island)
$61
$1,434
$861
Hotwire.com
  • Pool
Bathala Island Resort(Bathala Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,063 results
All reviewswater villa restauranteagle rayslagoon sidelunch and dinnermain restaurantour waiterroom boyfishour honeymoonbuffet restaurantsea planemarine lifeother islandssmall islandbreakfast deliveredlaundry servicegolf buggy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We found this resort searching for honeymoon destinations, and it looked beautiful. Well, it exceeded our expectations! We were stunned by not just the truly stunning setting, world class diving, and faultless staff, but by the 'above and beyond' approach. A little plate of fruit and sandwiches that appeared in our water villa at just the right time for a snack, the happiest golf cart driver in the world to drive us the 100 metres from our villa to the restaurant (trust me, it is that luxurious touch you will love), or the 4/5 course meals made with the freshest ingredients. The rooms are large and luxuriously equipped (complete with new iMacs and wifi), and have air conditioning that works right down to arctic setting if required. There are no flies or mosquitos on the island, a blessing you don't notice until you return to Male for your flight home, and the beach is raked daily just to ensure the sand remains perfect.

Room Tip: Although the beach villas looked great, upgrade to a water villa if possible. larger and private, it also adds a second a la carte restaurant to your options
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peter T
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I wanted to dive the maldives and found this place by accident on an internet sidebar, after trawling through loads of AI places, that looked great but had mixed reviews. I had already decided that if I was to spend this sort of money I wanted the best.

I started reading the reviews on TA and booked it that day, saying to better half, "this is the place", and I can happily inform those fortunate enough to be going here that it is!

We decided to go in mid-June and booked with Kuoni in February.
We were doing the daily review search and did have concerns about the weather - we need not have worried as we only had 10 seconds (really) of rain the first day we were there. The rest of the time the weather was great, not blue skies every day but silvery clouds, and very warm with a gentle breeze, we both managed to get nice tans anyway. Not bad for the cyclone season!

It was our first time with BA and it could not have been better, service superb and three seats each. Overnight flight with no dramas and excellent flight times. The return trip was equally good and worth the extra cost, with the VIP lounge a very welcome extra.

Seaplanes are great experience, a touch of adventure at the beginning of the holiday.

I'm not going to go into every aspect as others have done an excellent job in that respect and they have not exaggerated In our experience. Just wanted to mention a few standouts.

Dive team and boat crew were very professional and friendly in all aspects. Dive sites were superb, particularly Warren thilla. Thanks Guys (Rob have a good road trip!)

I have been fortunate to have dived in some great places in the world but the house reef which is a snorkel is up in my top ten. Amazing!

Animation team were great fun and always found time for a chat and a laugh.

Thanks to the tailor (yes, thats right) who knocked me up some cool linen trousers for £30 and fixed my other shorts for free, great service.

I'm not going single out staff that made it a special holiday as everyone we came in contact with all showed that they wanted to give as warm and genuine service as possible.

Petra is the "Boss" and understands the importance of repeat custom and works hard to ensure the guests have the experience they wanted when they booked Diamonds Athuruga.

And finally to the people we met that helped make it a fantastic holiday, Peter & Cindy, hope your honeymoon was special and we wish you all the best in the future.
Pirkko & John we will be in touch, John thanks for picking me up off the sand but I could have stayed there for a few more days.........
Andrea & Ron enjoyed your company hope the trip home was a good one.
So all I will say to you is "I Amici miei, Dobbiamo tutti tornati alle Athuruga"

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Malcdives
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We have just returned from this beautiful island set in the most gorgeous clear water this is a paradise on earth if you can only travel once to the Maldives make this your destination you can not ask for more

The staff are perfect a special thanks to Adam our waiter and Esia our room boy who can make the most amazing animals out of towels all of the staff remember your names and what you drink

A big thanks to Petra the manageress who comes and greats all guests the service is great
The island is only small and you can walk around it in 10 mins easy the sea is gorgeous and the staff sweep and sieve the beach every day the food is to a high standard and presented to a very high standard

The only negative would be the trip tp fishermans island which to be honest should not happen as when you arrive at the island after a 1hours sea crossing the first thing you see is a man made pen in the sea full of turtles and rays kept in cramped nasty conditions NOT what the Maldives is all about this has to be stopped so please do not support this and do not visit fishermans island

Apart from that this was our best holiday and we have already looked at booking it for next year
Any questionslease feel free to ask many thanks Tony and Karen

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank carp100000
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I had originally booked Reethi Beach for Feb 2012 then a kind forum member " andysSuffolk" mentioned some good prices for Athuruga in May 2012. So I decided that for the same money I could change resort. I do not know why but I just had not felt any excitement for Reethi however as soon as I booked Athuruga so the bad reviews began. From then on I spent a year worrying that I should not have changed resorts. The other factor was that we had only been to large islands with apparently poor snorkelling, Kuredu and Meeru but we were quite happy strolling around these islands. We had also experienced a water villa and beach villa in both resorts and definately preferred a beach villa. Therefore my husband was convinced that no way would he like a small island or a water villa. Having not told my husband about having booked a small island and a water villa until two weeks before we travelled I was a very worried. And so here my wonderful experience begins.

I could not understand the hipe on the forum about Athuruga but it's only once you have been you understand. So to highlight the wonderfully things we experienced.

The water villa just amazing. The huge deck. Lounging on the lovely sofas watching the beautiful surroundings. Having breakfast on the deck and so much more. Fantastic bed, very comfy.

We love the beach but there was always beds and shade to sit on and in fact we sat on the same spot all the fortnight.

Water villa restaurant. We loved this restaurant with its wonderful views. Sitting on the deck in the evening watching the sunset, chill out music playing, drink in hand, wonderful. We preferred the lunch menu to the evening menu but all was very good. We also loved the fact that we could eat anytime in the buffet if we wanted with no problem. Therefore we had a few breakfast, lunches and two evening meals in the buffet. Our waiters in both were lovely, Adam and Noosa. What we thought was great was was a choice of 4 white, 4 rose and 4 red wines every time, perfect. We have never experienced this before on All inclusive.

Beach and island beautiful, water fabulous, reef amazing. I have never wanted to snorkelling so much in my life. My husband took over 300 under water pictures and videos and we were amazed at the variety of sealife. Our highlight was the eagle rays which we saw numerous times. The snorkelling was so easy and I felt safe the whole time. It was just wonderful and made our holiday. By day 3 my husband was a convert he loved it.

The staff I cannot praise enough. The Italian staff made us feel so welcome and there are too many to mention. The Maldivian staff were all brilliant but my special thanks goes to Shardath who drove the buggy on the water villa deck. This guy was always around and knew if you went back to your villa to get changed for lunch and would be back to pick you up, he was a star. The head chef would always chatting to everyone and asking if everything was okay, well it was because the food was top notch. Finally Petra the new manager well there is only one word excellent she is so friendly and you felt her presence everywhere.

I think that it is the little extra touches and the amience that makes this resort so wonderful. Even though it is a small island sometimes we felt we were completely on our own. It was magical.
Our only problem now is can we afford to go back, I hope so.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sueH1
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I visited Athuruga end of May for 7 nights and wanted something special for our 10th wedding anniversary. After help on the Travel forums I decided on Athuruga as it was recommended by a lot of people and the reviews had recently been very good. I am pleased to say the resort met all our expectations and more. I will try and be as brief as I can on each subject in order to give an overall view.

Travel : We flew with Emirates via Dubai and as flown with these before new what to expect. Was as always a pleasure to fly with them no delays and great on board services. Transfer was by Seas plane and we waited around 2 hours to catch the plane. (Main reason was we had to wait for some other guests on other flights, so it was only a 30 min wait from them)

Athuruga Island :

Travel to resort by Seaplane was around via Dhoni to Island and was greeted with a drink and the resort manager – Check in was quick and smooth and we only had to wait 10 mins to get to Villa.

Water Villa – We had water villa 13 and this was on the lagoon side which I had requested, the villa was right on the end of the jetty so was very private and benefited from an unobstructed view of Indian Ocean, Villa standard was as good as the pictures on the website with comfortable furnishings and a fantastic decking area. The Water Villas on this side basically had the sun all day, although I was told that the position of the sun can change slightly at different times of the year. Really happy with this side and only issue is that it can get a bit breezy (See Weather section !) and you can’t really swim to the reef from here. Mini Bar is stocked with Water,Soft drinks, beer and 1 bottle of Red, Rose and White and replenished daily. (White wine though was a bit dodgy and was a strange yellow colour). I did ask for a gin and tonic once via room service as couldnt be bothered going to the bar and thought this might have been included in AI but when they said it would be $20 I stuck to the wine ! There was a golf buggy that was on the prowl for passenegers to ferry to the beach and restaurant, this helped after a couple of days when it was hot.

Food/Bar – Water villa guest mainly eat in the water villa restaurant which is a la carte and you get a choice of 4 courses with 4 options, 2 usually fish and 2 usually meat options for main course. Food and service was excellent and we used to have a cocktail pre dinner at the bar. (Basically a few sofa on the decking outside the restaurant). We did try the buffet food on the island once for lunch and once for dinner where there was many different choices of food and again food standard was excellent.

All Inclusive – Basically we didn’t spend a penny on anything else other than tips for staff as everything was included, wines were drinkable (White at restrauant wad different) and cocktails were strong ! Why you would ever need to pay the extra for the premium drinks is beyond me.

Snorkelling –Only ever did basic snorkelling before so was amazed on my first visit to the ‘Drop Off’ whilst visibility on some days wasn’t great the amount and variety of fish was excellent. We didn’t do any excursion but think if there for 2 weeks we would have adventured out a bit more but there was enough to explore in one week

Weather – Basically before I went this wound me up in a stupor and I ended up looking at the weather forecast every few hours to see what it was going to be like. Hot, cloudy rainy aaaahh.. I know its difficult but I realise now that whats the point as this is totally out of your control, on the first night there was a tremendous thunderstorm and at one point the whole water villa shock and due to the position of our WV felt that the seas was coming into the room, After the first couple of cloudy days and another storm the weather broke and whilst we didn’t have any ‘cloudless’ days the sun burnt through the clouds and did get too hot at times. I certainly came back with a tan. We paid about £1000+ less than high season and in my eyes this is fantastic value as I think it could have got too hot at times in the peak season.

Overall,

Excellent resort to chill out, relax, eat, drink and Snorkel. This was our first visit to the Maldives and whilst I know there are many islands to explore I would defiantly recommend this one. Hopefully one day we may come back !!

Room Tip: Water Villa 6 - 13 for sun and privacy, 15-21 for reef and less breeze
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple