“Delicious Sunday lunch”

Ranked #23 of 105 Restaurants in Maldon
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The Bell services the most delicious Roast around - we moved out of the immediate area last year but its worth the 30 minute drive back for the food. The owners run a great pub and its well worth a visit

There are newer reviews for The Bell

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is a lovely, if slightly chaotic pub. We visited for Sunday lunch and the place was very busy. Table not ready when we arrived though we had booked. That's fine though, I prefer a busy place to a quiet one. We had traditional roast which was nice but not over generous - not too many vegetables or extra gravy on offer - my friend ordered the lamb shank which was pretty pricey and came up with just mash and gravy - when she asked where the vegetables were she was told she could order some as a side dish which was extra - cheeky at this prices - so too was charging £2.60 for a glass of soda water. The serving staff seemed very untrained and a bit flustered. All in all an expensive and average lunch. We won't rush back.

1  Thank Lizzbuf
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This pub has a lot of potential but the whole experience was thoroughly disappointing.

The service was very slow, we waited so long that even the staff came over to tell us it was being plated up as they must have realised it had been a good 40 minutes or so. It seemed very much as though our table of 6 had been forgotten.

The food was poor when it arrived. Two pork chops were under cooked with parts of them far too pink for pork. The bacon with the liver and bacon was burnt - not just crispy. In fairness, the chips and onion rings were excellent.

The treacle tart and pecan tart were surprisingly served cold.

We won't be back.

1  Thank Archie74
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Very friendly local pub with excellent food and a real buzz!! what a find,definitely a place to visit and enjoy great food.A 5* local pub!!

1  Thank kcastle
Reviewed September 27, 2013

A nice atmosphere and the food was pretty good. We visited there on my mothers 90th birthday. in September. The five of us in our party had steak. My mothers order was medium and mine rare and they were both the same, however the food was good and well presented. The biggest minus for me was that I asked for some English mustard for my steak, only to be told that they didn't do English only French. I asked why they did they not have English mustard in an English pub/restaurant. I was told by the waitress, the Chef was French !!! Albeit the cuisine was English and a little bit Italian. Other than this hiccup, the food was pretty good . My advice is to get some different varieties of mustard as this displays some sort of class, one variety doesn't.

2  Thank Russ210852