“10% service charge on food and drink”
Review of Il Camino

Il Camino
Ranked #20 of 110 Restaurants in Maldon
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We where visiting relatives in Maldon and decided to try this restaurant as the menu looked really nice, we cannot fault the food as it was very good we had no complaints, the service was a bit up and down one minute one person was serving and the next minute someone else, and they did not know what the other member of staff had served you. We got the bill and we noticed there was a 10% service charge on the whole bill, we asked a member of staff to take it of and then we would pay and also pay them a tip of my choice. The member of staff went away then came back, they asked why we would not pay the charge, we said we would decide what we would give them, she started to argue with us and said did we not notice the 10% service charge on the menu and we really hadn't, so we asked what would have happened if we had said at the time of ordering that we did not want to pay the service charge, she said we would not have served you and we were totally taken aback, as our bill without service charge was £176.10. If they had not put 10% on our drinks we might have considered paying the service charge as this would have came to £104.30 + service charge £10.43 which is more reasonable rather the17.61.
We do not blame the waiting staff as they were being told by the manager what he wanted them to say but never appeared in person to resolve the matter. this matter ruined a lovely evening as that night was our anniversary.

Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

I have now eaten at Il Camino for 7 years and the food is always wonderful.
We ate there last Saturday and it was a full house but the food was perfect.
I had delightful filo pastry parcels filled with tasty mushrooms, creamy sauce with herbs and a homemade orange chutney for starter- really nice. The venison on a herb/ potato rosti was superb with the most wonderful gravy and veg. Maurizio simmers stock a whole day to make the gravy so flavoursome.
The owner/ chef Maurizio has the smallest kitchen I have ever seen in a restaurant but always cooks everything to order. The loving care and attention to detail in every meal is brilliant; each dish a work of art.
When I go out I want to eat something I wouldn't cook myself. Here I always get inspiration for my own dinner parties but even so I would not bother to cook stock all day.
At il Camino a meal out is an evening out. The meal sometimes takes a while due to being individually prepared but the food is worth it, the atmosphere is lovely, staff eager to please and this is one great place to go.

3  Thank Diana L
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We celebrated a family event as a party of 14 and were delighted with everything. They opened early for us, set up a specific seating arrangement, prepared a dedicated full menu and made a superb fresh fruit and cream cake type dessert, decorated to our requirements.

All aspects of the cuisine was exciting, excellent and ample with meals arriving together. Service was faultless and they definitely went the extra mile. The chef is clearly an accomplished master and we have nothing but praise for Ll Camino.

3  Thank Colin D
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Il Camino is by far one of my favourite restaurants. The service is great; met the chef a couple of times and he is a lovely guy & clearly knows a lot about Italian cooking because the food is absolutely fantastic. It's a really nice atmosphere in the restaurant with candles and soothing music. In the week they do a great 2 for 1 deal. I would highly recommend to go here - best restaurant in the area.

4  Thank Stevie G
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Booked in advance and visited on a Saturday night, after following the unusual protocol of knocking to be allowed in(!) we were pleasantly surprised to find the room was full meaning there was a very good atmosphere throughout. The menu I would describe as rustic Italian (similar to Jamie's Italian in that respect). Great selection of meat and fish dishes such as rabbit and venison and no pizza in sight. We had grilled peppers and cappelletti to start, both well cooked with excellent sauces. Food can take a while to come out but is clearly cooked to order. Mains of steak and lamb shank were equally pleasant. Good wine list and pleasant service made for an enjoyable meal, but not for those used to pizza express I would suggest.

2  Thank terryhey