“Don't let the exterior of the hotel put you off”

Best Western Aberavon Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Port Talbot
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
“Don't let the exterior of the hotel put you off”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Travelled to this hotel with my husband who was on business. After over 4 hours travelling we arrived at the car park and was not impressed with the exterior of the hotel. No garden as such, just a piece of lawn at the front and no outdoor seating area which was a shame because it was a beautiful September day. Just a car park that led straight into reception. Reception area quite impressive and not what we expected from looking at the exterior. Check-in was quick and efficient and we were allocated a top floor room with a sea view. Room was standard and quite small but very nicely furnished and bed was comfortable. Bathroom again quite small but functional. View from the room was excellent and the sun-set was spectacular. The seating in the bar area was very good and had obviously been recently refurbished. The restaurant was pleasant and the food excellent. My sea bass and my husband's rib-eye steak was beautifully cooked and very well presented and we sent our compliments to the Chef. Staff well trained and efficient. Wines very reasonable. Breakfast was good and plentiful. My husband asked if he could have an omelette (not on the menu) and the waitress said she was sure the chef would oblige so we both ordered one. What a shame we couldn't finish it because it was delicious but it was huge - so much so that we both left some and felt guilty doing so. My husband went off to his appointment the next morning and I took a walk on the seafront to the right of the hotel (the left takes in the view of Port Talbot steel works). The beach looked lovely and went on for miles. My walk took me past a couple of cafes and an ice-cream parlour, a children's play-ground and an open air swimming pool which was closed. In summer I should imagine that it was a very busy area. Very clean. Again, had there been outdoor seating I would have sat reading my book but was very comfortable waiting for my husband in the bar area. Coffee was surprising good and inexpensive. All in all a very comfortable stay and we would certainly use the hotel again if in the area.

Room Tip: Book a sea facing room - the sun-sets are wonderful. If you have a room on the car park side you lo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tricia298

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving at the car park, eventually (sat nav takes you to the other side of the car park fence) I was thinking oh no where am I staying this time. I was transported back to 60's look outside. Inside reception has been modernised, and a really lovely reception lady greeted me. Original room had to be changed due to a really bad smell akin to BO, so room was changed in a flash, actually to a nicer view of the sea front. But I soon realised that actually the funny smell is part of the hotel, just not as bad in my 2nd room.
Room was clean, and has been updated, bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have slept in for a long time. No hand towels provided, could not work that one out!
The hotel supports a small pool, which was full with 8 people in so after 15 minutes of lengths I gave up, quick dip in the jacuzzi to get the long drive out of my shoulders!
Did not eat in the restaurant in the evening, Breakfast was a great surprise, fresh fruit, cereals, pastries and breakfast cooked to order, not that I tried anything but fruit on this occasion.
Would I come back agin, possibly, although my back would probably say no.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Denise v
St Clears, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I can't comment on the quality of the rooms at this hotel as I haven't stayed here but I have eaten in the restaurant on two separate occasions and will not be eating there again if I have any choice in the matter. The restaurant offering from this hotel does not match up to the higher standards achieved at some Best Western Hotels so don't expect anything more than you would expect of very basic mass catering. 'Old school' prawn cocktail, processed chicken liver pate for starters followed by a standard roast which included a decent Yorkshire pudding but tough beef. Other options were available but haven't sampled them. Desserts included apple crumble, a very average trio of ice creams and a rosemary panna cotta. I would have been tempted by the latter but I wasn't convinced how the balance of flavours would work in the hands of a chef who showed little flair in other areas.

It may well be that the chef is working to budgetary constraints imposed by the management but unless the quality of the ingredients improves or budget ingredients are treated with more respect, that there will be little to excite diners with even modest expectations.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We are familiar with the surrounding area of Swansea, Aberavon & Port Talbot, mindful of the nearby roots of several icon film stars such as Richard Burton, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Catherine Zeta Jones et al. So we expected a good hotel and we were not disappointed. The sixties exterior belies the refurbished internal decor and facilities which actually exceeded our expectations. The food was served hot and tasty, only matched by the Receptionist Anne, made our visit memorable

Visitors, do not be dismayed by the meandering roads through a large housing estate, the beach is vast and has a blue flag award, and boasts great surfing; It may not be Bondi, but on the positive side, it has no sharks and it really is a great place to walk and take in the fresh sea air. It is not too far from Swansea bay and the sunsets, from experience, are something to behold.
Camera lenses to the ready, it's really worth capturing that dusky scenic view. Oh, I nearly forgot to mention, the full Welsh Breakfast was delicious.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, its worth it, especially if you manage to catch sight of a glorious western suns...
Havant, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our first night of our holiday this year, I have stayed because of work before. The hotel is very clean and tidy and it is great to have local people working on reception and in the bar as they gave us some nice tips about where we could go, the area etc. The lady on reception could not have been more helpful as with the lady serving behind the bar. The weather was lovely, prearranged:), and the walk along the beach before dinner was great, just ignore the industrial bit of Port Talbot, you can walk for miles along a litter free beach, all the way to Swansea if you want! We had our evening meal (fish and chips) in the bar, they were well cooked and generous portions too. Our room had a sea view and being as the sun had been shining, the room was warm, when we asked for a fan, the receptionist quickly brought one to our room. The breakfast was well cooked and there was also a good buffet provided. Checkout was quick and friendly, I will definitely return to this hotel if I am in the area again, it is nice to stay in hotels that have some personality about them, that is what I find you usually get with Best Western. Thank you to all of the hotel staff for a very enjoyable start to our holiday

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, the sunset can be amazing
Midlands
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We arrived and the weather did not help. We drove off the motorway and through the estate to the sea front and the hotel was a bit of a shock. The car park is a bit of a mess but after sitting a minute deciding whether to go in or not; we were glad we did. The hotel is really nice inside and the reception staff are very helpful and friendly
The room was clean and comfortable and we did have a sea view but we could also see the steel works and the less appealing view off to the left
On the first night we went to the local curry house (Cinnamon) which was ok to be fair - except that one of the waiters dropped some ice on the floor as he was filling the freezer and just picked it up and put it back into the freezer instead of throwing it away
Saturday the weather was great and we took the local bus - £4:50 return we think was great value. The bus is every hour into Swansea and then we changde for a bus to Caswell Bay and Mumbles it is all quite organised. We walked along the sea front to the coffee shop, Verdis, and this was busy but nice and then walked around the shops before getting the bus back to Swansea town center and into the shops. We got the last bus back to the hotel at 5:30 the bus driver was a bit careless and we took to counting the times he hit the curb !! A little disconcerting but made us laugh
Saturday night we went to the restaurant about 5 minutes from the hotel ( Bar Gallois ) NOW this is pretty grim ! we did complain and the staff were great and to be honest the chefs let them down badly. We paid £25 for 2 meals and a bottle of wine, the wine was nice but the chicken was disgusting and my partner actually joined and wrote on Tripadvisor for the first time !
Sunday was lazy and we drove to Bridgend to the outlet which is ok
The food at the hotel was good, we had breakfast both days and although they seemd to rush you it was well cooked and fresh
It was ok but don't think we would stay again which is a shame as the staff are lovely but the area and outlook let it down

Room Tip: Ask for room completely sea facing so you don't see the steel works
Solihull
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Went for a short break with a friend to sample Gower Peninsula.Chose hotel because it was on the beach. Staff were very friendly and welcoming.The hotel was very clean the decor was tidy but on the dull side. Had sea view room( just) at extra cost. maybe because, we had stipulated a twin bedded room. Bathroom was excellent, with shower over bath and the decor was attractive
The restaurant was pleasant. A good selection at breakfast, dinner was O.K with a menu for the month with choice from about half a dozen starters, mains and desserts.Service was good from the friendly staff. The food was well cooked and presented. It was adequate but not outstanding
Average cost of two course dinner was around £22 to £23 . Mussel starter was outstanding.
Overall the final bill was reasonable Despite several weddings and conferences taking place, we found the hotel quiet and peaceful. We were on the second floor, looking to the harbour and steel works in the distance.
You only need to cross the road to get to the very clean and tidy beach.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
#4 of 22 in Swansea
Village Hotel Swansea
Village Hotel Swansea
#3 of 22 in Swansea

Been to Best Western Aberavon Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!