“Forget the outside.” 5 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN Aberavon Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Port Talbot
“Forget the outside.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Once again stayed in this hotel for business, we had to work in South Wales for 4 days so seemed like the obvious place to stay. Hotel did not let me down, one of the few times I have seen it full, but even then the hotel gave a nice feeling, with all the staff still very helpful,
On the down side, the shower possibly the worst I have had in a room, very hard to work and almost impossible to get the right temperature.
This hotel once you get in to it (forget the outside) is really good value.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

My daughter had her wedding at this hotel on Saturday may18th from when the wedding was booked all the staff were really helpful we live in Watford so contact with the hotel was a must and they just did that the manager of the hotel and all his staff should be proud because all our guests can't stop raving about the hotel
The food was excellent the service was excellent Rachel the reception staff arranged a hairdresser for me nothing was to much trouble we had most of the accomadation booked out for the wedding
Rooms were all lovely realy made my daughters special day even more special I have stayed there three times now and I will be going back soon

Room Tip: Beautiful sea view room and family rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed in this hotel 4 times now for Wales Rally GB, normally this is a good location for the rally as it is near the M4 with the Rally for last few years being mid to south Wales. Downside is this year the Rally has moved north so might not be staying. However the hotel does a good job. First impressions of the hotel might make first timers thing it was a mistake as the outside doesn't look that pretty plus it is in Port Talbot, but inside is lovely. Friendly staff and quick and easy check in helps with nice rooms.

Rooms in my view are basic and I have had a few problems in the past, main one is the heat of the room and no aircon, now I would open the window but normally when I visit it is November and the winds from the sea really pick up.

Once on arriving late the bar staff still cooked a meal for me even though they were about to shut so happy about that. Again I have had a few problems with the hotel but non that have put me off and normally when I find a problem and note it when Best Western ask me to review my stay I get a personal email from the manager saying sorry and explaining what they plan to do so always a nice touch.

Will stay again if the rally moves south again.

Room Tip: I have found in the past corner rooms and those on the higher floors do not get as good WIFI so I wo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank erjones12
Neath, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I had my wedding breakfast and reception at the Aberavon Beach Hotel, i stayed there from the 16th to the 19th, getting married on the 18th. From the start they were amazing, even when planning the wedding - nothing was too much trouble and did everything my partner and i asked for and more. I had alot of family arriving from london, the staff catered to their needs and made them feel comfortable and all were impressed with the standards of the hotel. The wedding breakfast it's self was amazing, the food stunning. All of the staff are extremely hard-working, friendly and do whatever they can to make you feel welcome; from the managers to the receptionists to Daniel (wedding cordinator) to the bartendars. Honestly, this is one of the best hotels i have been too. It has a great location being based on Aberavon Beach (Just across the road) so dont be put off by the outside, as inside is stunning. The food (including the breakfast) is high standard. Really this hotel has so much going for it, not a bad thing to say. Thanks to everyone.

Room Tip: Request a sea-view room when booking, views are amazing,
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SamanthaMurphy
Glasbury-on-Wye, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent one night here in May 2013 as we were going to Rest Bay porthcawl for a surfing lesson and this was fairly close at a good price. On driving up to the Hotel it really does not look very appealing and is quite shabby and dated on the outside, upon entering the hotel we were very surprised by how modern and clean it was, the reception area was good and staff very helpful informing us of everything we needed to go, we got our key for the queen standard room (£72pn), we were on the 3rd floor. room itself was light, spacious, modern and tidy with a good size bed and comfy mattress, everything you would expect in the room, tea making facilities, TV, Hair dryer and the Standard bible in the bedside table!. Bathroom was also good, clean and smart.

The Hotel has a leisure facility which has a decent size pool, Jacuzzi and sauna, all of which we used and were very happy with them, extra towels were also supplied at reception and the leisure club is a secure area which you have to get let in by reception.

As for the bar there was a wedding going on so we didn't go for a drink as soon as we got there as it was crowded, but after returning from our evening meal we did have a couple of a drinks, bar area was nice with 2 large TVS showing news and sport. Drinks were priced as expected.

Included in all room prices is the breakfast which was a standard cold buffet of all you would expect and a free full "welsh" breakfast when ordered. All of which was very good and plenty of it.

All in all a great little hotel in a nice beach location (area not great) but with a shabby exterior!

Recommend!

Room Tip: Beach facing rooms are lovely!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Extremetoad
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel quite a few times and always been happy with room and breakfast. We booked our friends into the hotel and they said how nice it was and what a good standard, we joined them for breakfast where there is always a good range of food from cold to hot.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms have lovely views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vanessa W
Worcester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Having booked as a last minute couple of nights away for myself and family, I found a rather disappointing experiance overall. Both my wife and I have stayed in Best Western hotels previously and generally they are of an acceptable standard, on this occasion maybe our expectation was too high...
The hotel appearance is a little tired looking from the exterior, but things improve in the reception, lounge and bar area. I guess these have been revamped relatively recently. Check in was quick and easy, as would be expected for a modern hotel. On arrival into our room on the first floor the overall impression was a dark and not terribly inviting room and the carpet in the room was very dirty and I was not prepared to allow my 2 year old to play on it.
A trip to the reception followed and a new room issued without question (I was also allowed to see the room before accepting it), an example of some good customer service.
2nd room was on the 3rd (top) floor and appeared to have been subject to a leak from the roof, as the room smelt of damp plaster and the wall paper in the corridor was missing/damp in some places. However the room was acceptable and a good size. The sheets/towels etc were clean (and the carpet!) along with the bathroom, the usual selection of complimenty items and tea/coffee in the room, but overall the room appearance was a little dated.
Meal in the bar that evening was not too bad in terms of quality or cost, but 20+ minutes to find a corkscrew to open the wine we ordered is just bizarre, how can a hotel bar not own a corkscrew?!? Breakfast is good, with a wide selection and not bad quality.
2nd evening, a wedding reception was held in one of the function rooms, which was incredibly loud, bearing in mind we were on the 3rd floor, we could still hear every word of every song, despite complaining to the night manager (along with other guests) the volume remained until midnight, not great with a 2 year old and very disrespectful to other guests, such as ourselves, not connected to the wedding. The next day I complained again (to the same night manager) and the cost our meal the previous night was refunded as good will.
Swimming pool / sauna / spa were OK, water very warm!
Overall the experiance was very average, the attentions to details were missing as you'd expect from a hotel and my experiance in similar rated hotels were generally much better. The staff, although mainly friendly would really benefit from some training in customer care/service and make for a much improved stay.
As for the area, the beach on the other side of the road is good, really clean and huge, and its easy to jump on the M4 to visit places such as Swansea, The Mumbles etc, otherwise local town is quiet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
#4 of 24 in Swansea
Ibis Swansea
Ibis Swansea
#7 of 24 in Swansea

Been to BEST WESTERN Aberavon Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!