“Staff made this a 4 rating and not a 3 - So wish I could give higher”

Best Western Aberavon Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Port Talbot
Berkshire
“Staff made this a 4 rating and not a 3 - So wish I could give higher”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Just returned from a three night stay for my wife’s birthday. As all other reviews state, you have to ignore the outside of the building. I remember thinking as I walked in, you could walk in blindfolded so you don’t see the exterior. If you take it off inside you would actually believe you were in a beautiful modern hotel.

Views from hotel are lovely. We were lucky to be in a room with a sea view on the top floor (there is a lift if you would rather not walk the stairs). There was a wedding on one night and the only reason we were aware is because I took the dog out at 23:00 and saw the guests. We could not hear any noise from our room which was brilliant and the first time this has happened in a hotel for us. Normally you can hear the beat of the music till late and noisy guests returning to their rooms!!! The room had everything required, tea making facilities, hair dryer, trouser press, spare pillows, blankets. Bed was very soft and comfy - slept very well.

I know other reviews have commented on the location but we didn’t have a problem with this as we knew what Port Talbot was like and was planning to go to Swansea. Actually our expectations were exceeded as the hotel is only across the road from the beach which we were able to have some lovely walks on as it is very spacious.

I can honestly say we had the best welcome at reception we have ever experienced. The lady was very friendly and made us feel wanted/welcome. This was the general feeling around the hotel, all the staff were very friendly – although I think our flirty Westie helped this along!!!

There is a small pool, Jacuzzi steam room which were very clean and free towels available from reception.

We did have a couple of problems which I feel should be mentioned. Our room was lovely and very clean (we thought), well decorated, no mould in bathroom etc which we were very impressed with. However when we went to bed, our little Westie decided to go under the bed and unfortunately returned with three empty crisp packets and numerous dirty green napkins. If we didn’t have the dog, we would have never known and although disgusting, we believe that this was just unfortunate because the cleanliness of the hotel and rest of the room, suggests that this was an oversight by one of the cleaners. I reported it to reception the following morning and didn’t hear anything back but to be honest, didn’t expect too.

The other issue was at breakfast. I had the full welsh everyday which was wonderful and would certainly recommend. We had to wait for some time for service on the Sunday morning but it was clear that there were not enough staff and there were a lot of guests to be served. The problem was ordering a hard boiled egg!! My wife ordered 2 every morning. Fine on the first day, but on the Sunday and Monday had to be returned as they were not even soft boiled (the white was running which unfortunately my wife finds disgusting). The waitress (think her name was Jayne) was absolutely fantastic and dealt with this effectively. The eggs were returned and came back on the Sunday perfect and on the Monday soft boiled (still not what we ordered but oh well). Worrying that a chef makes all these fantastic wonderful foods (according to the menu) but struggles with a hard boiled egg!!

We did not eat in the hotel apart from breakfast so unable to comment on this.
This was our first stay in a Best Western as Ramada Jarvis were our preferred option.

Putting aside our slight grievances we may look into booking again at the chain. There is a comments sheet left in your hotel room to complete and it says that the manager reads this personally.

Should you have any questions about the hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Room Tip: Top floor - we were in 320. Away from noise and lovely views
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This is a very nice Hotel, the décor is very nice inside but the outside doesn't look so good. There is a nice pool, Jacuzzi and sauna and free towels and very nice staff. This hotel is a great base if you have a car as Port Talbot has nothing to offer and is like a ghost town.

There is a great pub next door the 4 winds and a nice restaurant which has entertainment most nights and good food, but beware the bands are loud and the Karaoke singers are mostly young and very good.

Across the road is a family place Cafe remo which has a nice outlook over the beach and does typical cheap family grub.

Anything else you will need to jump in the car and head off to Swansea or Bridgend.

Room Tip: room 321 has a good view or ask for a view towards Swansea or you may get the steel works in the oth...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Essex
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Our stay started on the low. When we arrived (on saturday evening) there was a party with very loud music going on. Unfortunately, we were assigned a room right above the reception and entrance which meant that not only was the music very loud but also we had people right underneath the window smoking and shouting. After an hour we were ready to leave.
Rang the reception and within 5 minutes a new room was arranged on the opposite side of hotel. The only noise we heard from here were the waves breaking on the beach. At all time staff were very friendly and polite.

The room itself was very nicely decorated with very comfy bed. It had all the amenities you need (kettle, trouser press, radio with alarm...), very nice. It was very clean in both bathroom and the room. Shower pressure was ok but nothing amazing. No air con but not really neccessary in Wales.

Breakfast was lovely, freshly cooked to order, tasty and a reasonbale amount.

What made this hotel even better, were the staff. Although we stayed for one night only, every single person we met (from cleaning lady in the lobby to waitresses in thr restaurant), everyone was very polite and friendly.

Location. On nice beach in not so nice surroundings.

Definitely would reccomend this hotel, just check if there is a party going on. If the hotel would have been ful, we would have left, noise was unacceptable.

• Stayed August 2011
Sowerby Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Ignore the grim exterior...this is an excellent hotel. Very helpful and friendly staff, clean, modern rooms, good breakfast and a nice indoor pool. They even let us keep our bicycles inside the hotel as we were cycling the nearby Afan Forest. Not many restaurants within walking distance but both the hotel restaurant & bar serve dinner. We will definitely visit again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights in July. Despite it's depressing appearance from the outside I found the interior to be clean and well presented. The staff are welcoming and friendly and try their best to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms are large, well maintained and very clean. The restaurant was a bit hit and miss with the quality varying. Their is a small health club that you can use. Their is free high speed wifi throughout the hotel. Trouble for this place is that it is located in probably the most depressing seaside town that I have ever seen and unless you are ther on business it is highly unlikely you would want to visit.

• Stayed July 2011
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Great time and good food many thanks...Weather was as usual but the scenery fantastic...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
The Fens
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Aberavon Beach Hotel on 12th June for one week. I had already read the reviews re location and look of hotel so will not dwell on that. Those are things which cannot be changed. There are however, several things which could be.

A nice welcome on arrival (we were a bit early) and tea/coffee offered by manager. Room was OK. Overall cleanliness was very good but net curtain was filthy and decor a little tired. No heat on in room (very cold day) but a fan heater was provided after requesting heat. We had a side sea view overlooking waste ground next door and cinema area. Storage was strange. No closed wardrobe, but open cubby holes and hanging rail. Don't like my belongings left on show for all to see. Bathroom clean. Shower curtain (yuk!) over bath with a mediocre shower. No shelf for storage of toilet bag or bits and bobs. Not too much of a problem if you are only staying for a weekend but living out of an overflowing toilet bag for a full week is a nightmare. One more comment about the room. I really did NOT like the grubby cushions which have been thrown around on the floor and elsewhere by numerous guests before, being placed against the clean white pillowcase that I am going to put my face on to sleep.

We stayed on a B&B basis but planned to dine in also. The breakfast was very good overall. Good quality too. One complaint however. Every time my husband had a cooked breakfast it was brought to him before he had finished his cereal or they snatched the plate away as he was finishing his last mouthful! Unfortunately dinner was where it all fell apart. The restaurant menu is poor. (Coach parties had different food) It stayed the same for the entire week and the selection was disappointing. Even my husband who will eat most things was not happy. We were not alone in this opinion. Many people resorted to doing what we did - ask to eat off the lounge/bar menu. Two of our main courses had to be deducted from the bill. One was a linguine which was absolutely swimming in oil and the other a "cash 'n carry" serving of cod and chips (cooked to death - even the peas!) The management of the restaurant is poor. No one seems to be in charge. When we complained we were spoken to by the nice lady who was in charge that night but we would never have known otherwise. The waiting staff are ALL lovely and willing but need direction and leadership. The biggest problem we found whilst dining was that coach parties are dealt with before "regular" diners. We were told this is not true but, on more than one occasion they had been served starter, main course, dessert AND coffee when all we'd had was one bowl of soup! My husband had to go to the bar one night to fetch our own wine from the fridge (left from the night before) because no one took our drinks order and we waited 25 minutes with just a glass of water!

My last grumble about the restaurant can easily be remedied. PLEASE, please, please close the blinds into the swimming pool. I do not want to watch overweight, flabby bodies whilst eating. Thank you!

If these things were sorted I would be happy to come back and rate it more highly. It could be so much better.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
AberavonBeach, Manager at Best Western Aberavon Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments following from your stay. I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay.

I was concerned regarding your comments of the "grubby" cushions and shower curtain, I have asked the Housekeeper to review this. I should say that if the cushions are dirty, we would not have them on the bed!

In relation to the Restaurant menu, we do operate a full menu that changes monthly, for guests who stay are staying for a longer period, we should offer daily specials to help enhance the dining experience. We do not favour coach parties over other guests. However, if 30 main courses are being served at one time, that will lead to a short delay, before other guests can be served.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Talbot
Premier Inn Swansea Waterfront Hotel
Swansea Marriott Hotel
Swansea Marriott Hotel
#4 of 22 in Swansea

Been to Best Western Aberavon Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!