“Excellent birthday treat!”
Review of Afan Lodge

Afan Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Port Talbot B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 7, 2014

My girlfriend treated me to a night here on my birthday and introduced me to mountain biking in wales.
This place was great, it was so clean, warm and friendly with great Decor too and it had a really nice atmosphere about it. The staff was was bang on, they were really helpful and friendly, and served some great food up (which was really needed after cycling up and down a mountain)
If someone told me, I had to make a criticism... it would be the fact there was no biscuits in the room but that's purely because I'm greedy lol.
Honestly though, I highly recommend staying here

I will 100% be coming back here, no doubt in my mind!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 28, 2014

myself and a very large group(38) stayed here for a long weekend of mountain biking around afan forest.
great location
great hotel, very clean & tidy even though full of mountain bikers !
friendly staff in all departments, even the breakfast waitresses had a great sense of humour.
food was great, steak cooked perfectly every night !
rooms great, plenty of space
a great weekend :)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Richard and Louise, the owners of Afan Lodge, are the loveliest, most welcoming hosts you could ever wish to stay with. They have a genuine warmth and caring approach for all their guests. The other staff are also very friendly and helpful.

The hotel itself has a winning balance of modern and rustic style, whilst being both comfortable and a "home away from home."

The restaurant serves massive portions of comforting classic "pub" food. Ideal after a day out on the trails. And the views along the valley are stunning!

I am not on commission for this review!!! I just believe that great places like Afan Lodge should be rewarded. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the valley
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Brian K
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I needed somewhere to stay near Maesteg,I certainly picked the right place,I have stayed at many places around the world and Afan Lodge has got to rate as one of the best.The location,the lovely scenic surroundings are some of the best you will find.The owners Richard & Louise are great people who can't do enough for you they have assembled a team of staff who are so friendly & helpfuf,the food is lovely the bar is very good and the rooms are comfortable.Well done to you all,keep up the good work,this place comes highly recommened.
Best wishes, Trevor Parsons.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank TREVOR063
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We spent last weekend at Afan Lodge, 10 of us in our group with children ranging from 2 to 12 years old. We had such a lovely time. The lodge itself is set in such scenic surroundings, the view from our window was incredible over the forest. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, even going out one day to buy my 2 year old his own cuttlery. Louise helped us enormously with the best routes to cycle, given our varying abilities and urged us to get out cycling as soon as we arrived. We were very glad we did. There are so many routes to take and views to see, it's worth making every minute out of your stay, no matter the weather.

The breakfast and evening meal was just what you need before / after a day of exploring. Only a few of us made it for lunch as we were out for most of the day, but again, the feedback was very good.

The rooms are very comfortable with all the usual facilities, including tea & coffee, which was essential for those 5 minutes resting once you're back and kicking off your cycling gear. We also felt the lodge and rooms were very safe and were able to put our son to sleep and using his monitor, go and enjoy an evening drink.

My sister was in a family suite, which had a kitchenette with enough space to bring your own food if you wanted to knock together sandwiches etc for lunch.

In the evenings we sat in the bar, most of the time in our sliipers, which felt like a home from home.

I would thoroughly recommend Afan Lodge as somewhere to go if you're into getting out and about / exploring / cycling / hiking etc. All our children loved their stay too, although it's probably not a place to go if you're looking for accommodation which lays on entertainment, especially for young children. We'll definitely be making a trip back!

Room Tip: We were in a double room, which had enough space for us to put up our own travel tent for our toddle...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank dawg77
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Afan Lodge is a great place to stay. We use it for mountain biking weekends and it couldn't be better. The rooms are great and comfy. The food is tasty and filling and the bar is great and stocks Doom Bar!

Friendly staff and great facilities make this the only place to stay around Afan.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed here overnight on the 4th - 5th February which was a mid week stay. My friend and I used this as a place to stay after we had biked the fantastic skyline route in Afan Forrest. Although it wasn't busy because it was mid week with terrible weather this didn't change a thing. The rooms were clean and the staff were very friendly. We got back from a long days ride and the room was all we needed with all the facilities we could ask for. They had a secure place to store the mountain bikes which was great as that meant you didn't have to leave them on, or in the car overnight and you knew that they were safe, I stayed here on the recommendation of a friend who had stayed here previously and i'm glad we did. Although quiet I thought that we might struggle in the bar for food but again this was not the case. The food was cooked fresh for us and was very well priced with a great little bar. I have been to places before and because it wasn't at capacity you were limited with the choice on the menu. Not the case here as the food was out of this world. This was again duplicated at breakfast time with a fantastic breakfast choice. I would definitely stay here again and would take the family with me next time. It is nice to know that if you are out walking or biking and get back a little bit dirty you really don't have to slum it and can relax in an awesome bar with great food afterwards. Put it this way I've stayein some lovely places but this has made me write my first review on Tripadvisor. Excellent and see you again soon.

Room Tip: There are a choice of rooms to cater for all needs including families
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
#3 of 3 in Port Talbot
Stradey Park Hotel & Spa
Stradey Park Hotel & Spa
#3 of 10 in Llanelli

Been to Afan Lodge? Share your experiences!