“Excellent base for mountain biking.”
Review of Afan Lodge

Afan Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Port Talbot B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was my fourth stay at the Afan Lodge. We usually travel in a group of 8-10 and the hotel staff are always very accommodating.

The hotel is located about 10 minutes from the M4.

Catering predominately for mountain bikers you would imagine the place would be full of muddy and sweaty bikers, but it couldn't be further from the truth. The first thing I noticed about the Afan Lodge was how clean and modern everything is.

The beds are very comfortable, the restaurant is great, the breakfasts are always top notch, your bike is kept in a secure lock up and they serve a great post ride pint.

Why even chance anywhere else?

Room Tip: Stay away from us!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Afan Lodge has a perfect setting with beautiful views over the valley and immediate access to lots of mountain bike and walking trails. The wide open spaces and beautiful views came as a pleasant surprise given how close the area is to the M4 - normally this sort of scenery can only be found an hour or two from the nearest motorway. The lodge itself is spotlessly clean and tidy and has everything you want, but nothing that you don't want, with clean simple and comfortable rooms. The food is very nice pub food (steak, scampi, sandwiches etc), served very quickly and efficiently, and when we were there they had a couple of local micro-brewery real ales on tap which were absolutely delicious.

Afan Lodge have an excellent relationship with a local bike hire company, and when we arrived our very good quality hire bikes (one of them brand new) were there ready for us along with our guide for they day, who was brilliant and we'd highly recommend paying the extra for a guided tour, at least on the first day.

Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, every member of staff that we spoke to was very enthusiastic, friendly, helpful and welcoming.

We'd definitely stay here again - for a short break mountain biking or walking I can't think of a single way it could be better.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I found this place when I was looking for a short notice place to stay to ride the Afan Forest Park mountainbike trails. I couldn't have found a better place.

The rooms are spacious, clean and bright with everything you need. I arrived late on a Sunday afternoon to a friendly greeting and helped to put my bike away in the secure bike locker. The restaurant was closed but they made some soup and a toasted sandwich for me.

The owner and his father are both super keen bikers and will sit with a map and advise you which route to take, what's open, what's closed, which route has got snow on it! Loads of safety advice too especially as I was riding on my own. They are very active with the Forestry Commission in the management and development of the trails so they know their stuff! They even helped me with a spanner to change my pedals.

Restaurant and bar are really good and reasonably priced. I'm definitely coming back here and recommending it to all my biker friends.

Only downside would be no wifi in the rooms, just in the bar. But the rooms are all hardwired and if you need an ethernet cable they'll get one for you.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room at the back with a view down the valley
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Russell B
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Great little lodge, perfect location between the Wall and the Whites Level trails, rooms are really well presneted and the lodge caters really well for Bikers. Breakfast is fantastic and the food in general is very good. Only very small negagtive is the price I have only stayed once as I am often looking for a more reasonable price. If I had more available cash though I would always stay here.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 14, 2012

visited this place yesterday whilst working .. a great base for mountain bikers, clean , spacious and staff were extremely friendly during my short visit. The lodge is situated in Cynonville a short distance to Port Talbot and is well located to explore mountain bike routes around Afan valley . The lodge is situated in a scenic location

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

I went with my wife on a walking weekend and didnt enjoy staying here at all. They just seem to rest on their laurels here because of the location. Really horribly rude people in reception. Room had a good shower but thats about the best thing about it. Their pricing seems open for alteration and I know at least 4 othr people that feel they were misled and then overcharged. Bar is average and food wasnt good. I'd look elsewhre. Dont bother if you have a dog as the seem to actually hate them and their owners get very short shift.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I joined a group of mountain biking mates who regularly visit Afan Lodge for a weekend break. The staff were very friendly and welcoming from the start and made us feel at home. The food was of a very good standard and the surroundings ideal for relaxing after a long day in the saddle. There is secure storage for your bike and facilities to wash your bike and gear - the staff not at all fazed by muddy bikers coming into the bar for a well earned pint! Will definitely be back for another dirty weekend!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a great view of the valley so not much difference really.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends