“Perfect Treat”

Ranked #5 of 7 Port Talbot B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Perfect Treat”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was such a lucky find. My fiance and myself were mountain biking in Afan Forest. This B&B has secure bike storage. The rooms are very comfortable, and the breakfast burritos were divine. The dogs were gorgeous and the owners were the nicest people. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Emma C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chudleigh, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

One of the best places I've stayed at in years. Eli is lovely, warm and welcoming, I loved the dogs, beautiful room, great breakkie. Wouldn't look anywhere else if I'm in the area again. Constantly amazed by the rubbish people right on here: "a fairly run down scheme" Livvy?! It's called Wales, home of some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet. And I didn't here anything passing by on this quiet street.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank PaulOnT0ur
Colorado, United States
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I needed a get-away to relax and recharge. We wanted a relaxed quiet stay in a homey environment and be able to walk to restaurants and sight seeing. The Mountain View Bed and Breakfast in Port Talbot , Wales was the perfect place. The owners , Eli and Lisa, were friendly, fun and caring. They wanted our stay to be just as we wanted. We loved the home feeling of the friendly pets and the food was excellent. Our room was cozey and when we came home after a day out, we felt like we were coming home. Thanks to advice about the local scene, wereally enjoyed our day trips. Eli and Lisa really know how to help you plan a day. Great pubs! Next time we need a change of scenary we will definantely visit The Mountain View again.

Room Tip: Call and chat with Eli or Lisa and tell them a bit about yourselves, then they will pick the perfect...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LeeLisa P
Lincoln, UK
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I've always had a very pleasant stay at this B & B (I've stayed at this B & B five times) and I feel a lot of these negative comments are unfounded probably due to people‘s expectation levels. The bed and breakfast doesn’t claim to be anything isn’t.

"the mountain view bed and breakfast is situated in the middle of a run down scheme" - it's in the very centre of Port Talbot, a little harsh to blame the B & B for the welsh economy.

"Don't go if you don't like dogs" - don't go to Wales if you don't like dogs and the great outdoors!

“I have never met such rude and unwelcoming people” - the owners are laid back eccentric characters, this shouldn’t be mistaken for rudeness

“you enter the porch the rack with about 8 pairs of smelly trainers” - I take my shoes off in my own home so can’t really see an issue here. Hiking & mountain biking form the very back bone of welsh tourism so a few muddy trainers shouldn’t really come as a surprise

“The dogs had free reign not only of the grounds….” - the dogs do live there after all, I’m not a massive pet fan and don’t actually own dogs myself but if you don’t like them stop being so British, speak up and ask the owners to take care of them, I’m positive the owners wouldn’t take offence.

As for people complaining about the TV signal and DVD players, free view is notoriously rubbish across the whole country!. It also seems apparent that people don’t have the patience to learn how to use something new! In any event you should be finding something more interesting to do when away from home anyway rather than planting yourself in front of the box!

Finally, and most importantly one should expect to get what they pay for, £30.00-£35.00 is excellent value.

The breakfast is great (three courses, cereals, fruit, cooked breakfast, coffee, toast, orange juice) and the cooked aspect uses locally sourced good quality products, the bacon especially is very thick!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Simon7_12
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We traveled to Wales as a part of our vacation, and we couldn't have found a better place to stay. The owners, Eli and Lisa, couldn't have been kinder or more helpful. They went way beyond the necessary to help us think through what we would enjoy doing and how to get there. Nothing was too much trouble! They have two lovely well trained dogs which helped to make it feel like being in a home. It was far more friendly, welcoming, and comfortable than any of the other places we stayed, and not expensive!!!
The B&B itself is clean, bright, provides anything you need, and the rooms and beds are very comfortable. The choice of breakfast is abundant and the breakfasts themselves were delicious and plentiful. There is a kitchen available in their Garden House which we were able to use to fix ourselves something to eat when we didn't want to go out, and town was just a few minutes walk away. The neighborhood was quiet and safe. By the time it was time to go, we felt like we were leaving old friends. We would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone at any time. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank cindy c
Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for 1 night with my 7 year old daughter. The owners were friendly enough but they had 2 very large dogs which kept getting in my daughter's face and was clearly unhappy about it but the lady did absolutely nothing. In fact the only time she reacted was when I pushed the dog away from my daughter - she gave me a very dirty look. The room was warm and clean enough and the breakfast was nice but what spoiled it for me was when we sat down to eat, she came in and sat staring at us. Very unnerving and uncomfortable. I'd only stay again if there was nowhere else and if I had an assurance that the dogs were kept under control.

• Stayed May 2011
39 Thank RussTbitz

Travelers are raving about these Port Talbot hotels

Forfar, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2011

The mountain view bed and breakfast is situated in the middle of a fairly run down scheme. when we arrived the owner did not even show us the room before insiting we pay. If it was not so late in the evening we probabaly would have re-considered like some others have. As it was we payed, then were shown to the room, which was basic. My friend who I was sharing a room with was a bit put off by the dogs and the doggy smell, they were friendly bruisers though. road traffic noise disturbed my sleep but I live in the countryside and am not used to traffic going past at nights. Breakfast was ok but not huge or varied and there was no mention of "Burrito"...however we only had to pay £27.50 each so you get what you pay for. we decided to stay at the Afan lodge for the rest of the stay which in our opion was much better.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
The Twelve Knights
The Twelve Knights
#3 of 7 in Port Talbot
Barn B and B at Ty'n Cellar Farm

Been to Mountain View B&B? Share your experiences!