“Totally ignored me!”

Ranked #19 of 21 El Bolson B&B and Inns
Medellin, Colombia
“Totally ignored me!”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

i spent the night in this hostel in Ocyober 2011, which is low season, we were only 3 travellers. At night it was freezing but they refused to put on the heating. My bed did not even have sheets, just a bed cover, that was it.
The staff seem tho have their own little parties there, when night fell over El Bolson I sat in the communal areas with my laptop and I guess they must have thought that gave enough light to see something. Staff receives their friends here later oj the evening and do not even say a word to the travellers.
I would not recommend this place in low season if you are a sociable person.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank eilanthan

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I would've given this place a good review. Good location, off the beaten path a bit, nice kitchen and communal area. One of my travel mates woke up at 3am itching and had bites all over on her face and arms. Her eye even was swollen from a bit. On examination we found bed bugs in 3 of the 4 beds and found some crawling in our sleeping bags and clothing. There was no one to be found working and the communal areas locked. At 8 am the owner showed up and offered us a room change. Also let us do a load of laundry, however probably ineffective in killing bedbugs as water was not hot enough and there was no dryer.

• Stayed April 2011

Travelers are raving about these El Bolson hotels

Vienna
Reviewed March 11, 2011

The kitchen, common area and garden are very nice.
Unfortunately, the rooms are the worst about this hostel. The mattresses are very old and dirty, we had bed bugs in our dorm, the sheets had lots of blood spots. When I told the owner about the bed bugs he disinfected the room but didn't seem surprised at all. The staff wasn't friendly. I would definitely not recommend this place or stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pressbaum
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Overall very dirty place with an luke-warm greeting, a clogged toilet that I had to plunge myself!, a single computer that was shut down at midnight (??), a very uncomfortable bunk; all followed by an early check out time and no breakfast offered besides a tiny sweetbread. Worst hostel experience and expensive, also. Two thumbs down.

• Stayed January 2011
Meirionnydd : Cymru ~ Wales
Reviewed January 21, 2011

I have to say that El Bolson is one of my favourite spots in Argentina and Refugio Patagonico was a perfect base for my friend and I to spend a few nights.
The hostel is close to the centre of town, about a 5-10 minute walk or an 8 pesos taxi ride from the bus station. The owners are easy to deal with and I easily made a booking via e-mail.
We decided to get a private room for some privacy and it was a clean, bright and spacious room with lots of secure storage for our things. We had our own private bathroom which was spotless and had a great shower.

There is a large communal room to relax in with a computer with internet connection and free wifi for guests. There is a large cooking area where you prepare your own meals - no food is provided here. There is also a huge garden where you can sit out and drink your wine late into the evening.
It's a great place to meet people, so if you're on a solo trip or just want to get to know new people it's a perfect spot. Although people did head into town for nights out there is little noise to be heard from the other guests.
There are also bikes available for guests and you can organise activities through the helpful and friendly staff.
The only thing it was marked down on was the building work which was going on while we were there because the work would start just after 9am, so if you like a lie-in it's not ideal. However, the work was near completion so there will be new bedrooms and facilities available soon.

*If you have a tent there are camping spaces available in the field next door and during summer there are quite a few people there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed November 19, 2010

I arrived at Refugio Patagonico having been directed here by Hostel Pehuenia which was full (more about that place later) and in retrospect I'm really glad it was.

R.P is a new but traditional building, well designed with nice wood fittings. The ground floor is open plan with a good kitchen and lots of seating areas. It's set in a spacious garden with benches and hammocks. It's located on the edge of town away from the busier centre. The only noise pollution you have to deal with is the squarking birds which call the garden their territory! (they're no problem unless you're a cat, then you'd be in trouble!).

The dorm was ok, 8 beds in a space that would perhaps have been better suited to 6. It had it's own bathroom (but no key to lock the door). The price was 45 pesos which did not include breakfast but did include free tea, coffee and mate throughout the day.

The staff/owners were friendly and helpful and I was made to feel most welcome. An intended stay of 3 or 4 days turned into a week.

I highly recommend this hostel for all the above reasons.

Incidentally. I went back to Hostel Pehuenia one day to visit a friend who was staying there and got the most hostile (no pun intended) reception imaginable. I knocked on the door and the girl working there got up from the tv and just stood staring at me through the window. She eventually opened the door a crack and I asked why she was looking at me stange but didn't get much of an answer. I then explained that I'd come to visit someone staying there and gave their name She tried to tell me they were not staying there even though I knew they were in the building at that time! Another traveller who overheard all this told my friend and she came to the door then asked the helpful staff member if I could come in and wait to which the answer was obviously no. She then went back to her telenovelas. That hostel would do well to get themselves a new 'encargada' with some manners and people skills. Anyhow, do yourself a favour and go straight to Refugio Patagonico.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo