“There are much better hotels in Eldoret”

Starbucks Restaurant and Hotel
Ranked #14 of 16 Restaurants in Eldoret
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I've stayed in their hotel twice in December 2013 and definitely I don't want to go back again, outside the building looks beautiful and new but when you seen the rooms it is different. They have a small bathroom and the fixtures are not that good.

Wifi doesn't work when I visited this hotel twice, I complained to the reception regarding their wifi and no action was done to fix the wifi connection. Breakfast buffet is okay but mostly they don't refill so you will left out with nothing.

The rooms are not that nice and when it rains since it always raining in Eldoret the pathway to the rooms are either messy or muddy. There are better hotels around Eldoret so try them first before coming to this hotel

1  Thank adiolata

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have eaten at Starbucks Restaurant and Hotel twice in the last 3 months. Of course I was attracted to it because of its name (I knew it had no relationship to the stateside Starbucks) but I was curious and because of its beautiful, new building -- nothing to match it in Langas. We went on a Sunday afternoon. After perusing the menu, my colleague and I got the attention of the waitress to place our orders. Neither of us got our first choice from the menu since what we wanted was not available (at 12:30pm). We each ordered something else. The menu said the entree came with a choice from an assortment potatoes -- which turned out to be either french fries or roasted (which are also cooked in oil). I ordered spare ribs which when they came were not spare ribs at all but short ribs with almost no meat on them -- fat and grizzle. I was very disappointed. We had ordered a drink hot lemon and honey which turned out to be a pot of warm water, 3 lemon slices and a little dish of honey. We left not very satisfied.
A few days later I stopped at the restaurant to complain about the poor food and the service which was very slow. The manager was not in but the receptionist told me she would give him the message and he would call me.
The following day, he called and I told him that I was very dissatisfied with the restaurant. He took my comments and assured me that he had taken measures to improve and told me to come back.

A couple of weeks later, I returned, again on a Sunday afternoon. This time I asked the waitress what kind of meat was used for the "spare ribs" and she was pleased to tell me."beef".
They had 2 entrees (as the "dish of the day") so thinking it would not take as long I ordered one of these. It was a pork dish but was very overcooked -- the meat was not recognizable as pork and since it was overcooked, it was dry and tough. The vegetables were also stir fried in a lot of oil and overdone.
The service was very slow even though there were no other customers in the restaurant at the time I entered to the booming sound of the television. I waited 30 minutes to get the bill and when the waitress came I asked her to bring a menu since I was interested in trying a dessert -- a gamble at best. She handed me the menu and as I quickly glanced at it, I saw something that interested me and began to ask the waitress to clarify a menu item. Then I looked up and she was gone -- I was talking to the air.
At this point I decided I would go somewhere else for dessert and left the money on the table to pay the bill and I walked out. I went to the reception to tell them that I was leaving and I would not be back. As I walked to my car, I saw the waitress following behind and when I got to the gate, the chef was there. He told me the waitress was very unhappy because I had left without paying the bill and she would have the amount taken out of her pay. I assured him that I had paid and had left the money on the table but that I was not returning- I said the food and the service were bad.
Here is the catch -- the charges for a room are high compared to other hotels in the area with non-residents paying exorbitant rates. It is clear that the rates are geared toward clients who have traveled to Eldoret for business or perhaps as tourists but the food offered in the restaurant is not what someone paying those kinds of room rates would want to eat -- especially if they were to be there more than one night.

3  Thank Deborah H