“Clean & Okay for one night”

Queens Garden Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eldoret
Queens Garden Hotel
Reviewed March 12, 2013

During february 2013 we stayed at Queens Garden Hotel just outside Eldoret for one night and compared to what I've seen and experienced from other Kenyan Hotels this is not at all bad.

The place is owned by Indian people and is therefore somewhat different than other Kenyan Hotels, but very very clean - which I truly appreciate.

In the room there was an air freshner SO STRONG that we had to take it outside the door to our room! When entering the hallway up to the rooms, you could even smell the "air freshner".

The hotel itself is build in december 2010 and is therefore relative new. It is the only hotel in Kenya I've seen with carpet on the floor, and as it was so new it was really nice, however I can only imagen how it will be in a few years...

Each room have their own balcony and the bathroom is huge, with VERY slippery floor! I have no idea why it is so slippery but I was skating around in the shower. There was plenty of hot water but only a little pressure - and in the bathtube that was in the other end of the bathroom, the water was not connected (see picture)

So, if you take the smelly "air freshner", the slippery dangerous floor, the lack of connecting water in the bathtube and the very tacky interior design away - this is a good place to stay. It's clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.

The credit card machine did't work, so we had to pay in cash, that however could just be that day, I don't know.

In the morning we woke up really early because the car alarms on some of the cars keept going on and off and on and off - when we finally decided to get up, we saw that the staff was washing each and every car by hand, which was why the alarms were going off like crazy.
The idea and thought is really nice, but - first of all it is a terrible noise to be making! Second of all, our car were only a rental car, but had it been our own car and had the staff washed it with a dirty cloth scratching dirt from the tires up on the paint I would have been crazy angry!

In the dining area, where we did't eat the night before but now came to have breakfast, there was 4 different tv's going on, with 3 different programs (no one watching of course) and the staff were not present.

The food was okay, but most of it was servede in old glass bowls from lamps - I was stunned and had to laugh! Perhaps they did't know it, but then again, it's kinda obvious to see (see picture)

All in all, a okay place to stay - I liked it because it is clean, but besides that there's just a lot of weird things and it is not a place you need to spend the weekend or stay for a longer periode of time, despite it looks really international from the outside.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple