“Amazing stay!”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Platis Yialos
Huntsville, Texas
“Amazing stay!”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a hidden gem in the Aegean sea/SIFNOS. We stayed here for a few days before we left the island and I wish we had spent the entire week here! From checking in, the room, the pool side service, to checking out, you felt like it was all about you and your family. First class for sure!

Room Tip: We had a room close to the pool area and we loved it. It wasn't far from the beach either.
1 Thank Evelyn H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Greek first
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in June 2011 (not August 2011, but I guess I'm a bit late with my review so Tripadvisor did not allow the correct date anymore) and absolutely loved the place. Off-season rates are extremely reasonable, and this hotel was better than the pictures we saw online. Peak-season rates are really high, but who says you need to be in Greece in July or August, it is too hot anyway :-) We had a very large room, ground floor so it was very cool - I think we did not even have the air-conditioning on all the time, and the weather was very hot, over 30 degrees celcius.
This is probably one of the fanciest hotels I have ever stayed in Greece, beats 4-star Tui resorts. Maybe not in the multitude of services offered, but the quality and personality of those services. It is just a feeling of quiet, relaxed luxury that this place gives you - and having been to Greece a lot, I did not realize our budget could run to a place like this :-)
The couple of reviews written just before mine could have been mine, so just believe them and go to Alexandros.
And yes, Mama Mia is a superb restaurant - that kind of quality in Italian food is not usually available at those prices.

Mumbai
Reviewed July 18, 2012

the rooms are cute, the pool is good. the entire hotel is run by the family. Alexandros and his girlfriend were extremely helpful. breakfast was basic but good with freshly squeezed orange juice each morning. the pool was a good sized pool and the hotel is just a step away from the beach. Absolutely perfect and good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MumbaiK-9
Galway
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I don't know about you, but I find that trying to find a good hotel in Greece can be tricky: sometimes the photos don't exactly match reality. This hotel is one of those pleasant surprises where the photos do not do the hotel justice.

The rooms are comfortable, each with their own A/C unit and patio. The breakfast is ample and tasty (everything from eggs and bacon to Greek yogurt, fruit and cereal... they'll even make a cappuccino for you if you're one of those fussy types). The salt water pool maintains a very comfortable temperature, there were plenty of recliners and shady places to sit, and typically there was someone manning the pool-side bar. If you're more of a beach person, the hotel is only a two - three minute walk downhill (uphill at the end of the day!). Plus, because the hotel is slightly off the beaten path, it's fairly quiet and restful at night. This last bit is important because, if you are planning on visiting Sifnos, you must be hoping to find some peace and relaxation.

The only cons we had were a) the wifi connection was fitful and not particularly reliable (although, this is pretty standard for many hotels in Greece - especially on the islands); and b) I had to supplement my pitiful Greek with gestures aplenty as most of the employees did not speak English. We were, however, in Greece - so.... it's a little difficult to hold that against someone. Perhaps next time I should learn a few more words than "beer", "beach" and "bathroom."

Room Tip: All rooms face south down a hill with their own semi-private patio.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank aroush1
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed February 13, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Alexandros Hotel foe one week in June 2011. The weather was hot but our unit was cool as a cucumber. We had a second story unit overlooking the pool and Aegean Sea. The breakfast on the outside deck was amazingly wonderful even if it was 60+ steps to get there. This not a place for the infirim that's for sure. The family that owns this hotel was very friendly and helpful and we felt very welcome. The pool was fabulous although as it was off season, we had music and a bartender at the pool bar the first day but after that he was busy being Mr. Fixit so no drinks and no music. It was about a 2 block walk to the most wonderful beach with warm water and lots of restaurants. The bus stopped right outside the hotel which was very handy for going off to other parts of the island. We ate most of our meals at Mama Mia - fresh, reasonably priced and great service right on the beach.

Room Tip: I would get a room on the second floor with a sea view - nice breezes up there.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2011

This hotel was truly an amazing experience and my boyfriend and I feel lucky to have gotten to stay here! We were supposed to stay for 7 nights, but ended up staying for 11 nights due to the ferry strikes in Athens! We were stranded at Hotel Alexandros, but what a great place to be stranded at! Upon arrival, Alexandros and his son offered us an ocean view room, even though we had booked a garden view. They even showed us both rooms so that we could choose - and we chose the ocean view room! Right away we felt welcome and special. The breakfasts were absolutely delicious - and the breakfast was on the terrace overlooking the ocean. We enjoyed it all - from the yogurt, toast, loafs, eggs, cheese, cereals, espresso machine, freshly squeezed orange juice machine, and greek cookies! The grounds were impeccable, filled with flowers and extremely clean. The pool area was spectacular - equipped with a bar and an ocean view. From the hotel, it was a 4 minute walk down to the ocean, and some great restaurants and cafes. Upon check out, they did not charge us for 2 of the nights, due to our being stranded there! We could not believe it! We recommend this hotel to everyone, and we will definitely be back! This is Sifnos hidden treasure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sam123874
Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed October 10, 2011

When I arrived, it was night time. Us travelling together included myself, my father and his sister (my aunt). I was very tired and did not want to deal with any bad hotels or bad service that I have experienced a few times.

When we arrived, we stepped into an absolutely charming and enchanting front room. With seats, old fashioned furnitures, many items hung up on the walls, ambience lightning etc. Every single item in the room were selected with great taste. I felt like I was catapulted back to the 1930s but still stuck in the present times!
A young man approached us and dealt with our booking efficiently. Our suitcases were taken to our room. This man is called Alexandros and the hotel was named after him.

Our room was just as lovely as the front reception room. The art on the walls were just fantastic. The artist does know how to paint properly. From the windows, we could see the swimming pool and the view beyond. There are gardens every where and we have to walk through the gardens to get to our room and this just made our journey more fascinating. The bathroom was not as good as the bedroom. It's just a bathroom. The bonus of the bathroom were the natural shampoo/conditioner and soap on hand which is great as I'm allergic to the chemical and supermarket brands. Good shower too :) We had arrived on the 1st September and this was a happy ending to the day.

The next day was 2nd September. Every year on 2nd September, which is the name day of Alexandros. A lady came round to all of the guests offering sweets to celebrate the name day. This was such a lovely gesture and made her a great hostess in my opinion. Offering that personal touch.

The breakfast was amazing. To be frank, it was not flamboyant. Nor posh. Or done with any flair. It was amazing, because the right kind of food was served. Not too much or too little. You begin at the right side of the buffet by getting yourself a tray. There is a machine which presses fresh orange juice for you. Everything is organic and comes from Sifnos island itself. Some veg/fruit come from the trees within the hotel grounds!
You then proceed onto having either tea, coffee or espresso which comes from an actual espresso machine with espresso capsules. I was impressed indeed as I am an enormous espresso fan. Then you come across muesli, dried apricots, dates, nuts, cornflakes, FRESH milk (not the UHT or tinned milk, urgh!) and then fried eggs and bacon. Not overdone or underdone. Nor do they swim in oil either. Onwards, there are breads and cakes of all sorts, plus ham, cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives and then fresh jams. (All jams made within the hotel I am sure!) Then different juices. The hostess was constantly checking that everything was in order and topping up any coffees/teas/milks that were low in volume. She also cleared away tables and did the tidying up. A true hostess indeed, not a snobbery kind whom uses a waitress to do the work for her.

I cannot fault anything. I loved the hotel, its decor, the breakfast, the coffee and the swimming pool. The gardens were lovely and there is a car park at the entrance and at the bottom of the gardens.

I highly suggest that you stay here for a few days and you will truly feel relaxed. I don't go to Greek islands often and this time, when I went, this hotel combined with Sifnos island, made my island holiday a special one.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Platis Yialos
#6 of 14 in Kamares
Smaragdi Hotel
Smaragdi Hotel
#1 of 3 in Artemonas

Been to Alexandros Hotel? Share your experiences!