“Unique decor ; a few problems”

LaGare Hotel Venezia - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Murano
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed here b&b from Sep.23 to27 . The furnishings and décor were lovely . Great tv and shower , room safe was useful . We had no problems with free speedboat shuttle which was fun as well as convenient . Staff were friendly . There was little that was vegetarian for breakfast and there seemed to be a similar problem with the evening menu which was expensive . Murano is very laid-back ; quite pretty but little to do . I liked the frequent carillons which were silenced at night . Strolling by the canals is quite tiring as you're constantly going up and down steps . We found local eating-places disappointing ; far too much salt in the food , and of course many of them are closed in the evening . Breakfast was a bit chaotic on two of the four mornings . So a memorable stay but I don't think we'd go again especially as Venice itself is so expensive and so crowded .

1  Thank Seasound220
There are newer reviews for LaGare Hotel Venezia - MGallery by Sofitel

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have to say, this hotel is very very modern, clean and very nice. Rooms are fantastic, and sky channels immense for a European hotel! It rained a lot in whilst we were in Venice, so we did spend an afternoon or two watching Sky TV in our extremely large and comfortable bed! Note - when watching a channel, push the info button and then the down button to get the English version!
However, whilst the room and all it's amenities were clean, no tea or coffee making facilities -for me as a Brit, this is very poor. Why not? I don't want to pay £3 for a cup of tea and have to go and get it! The room service seemed quite reasonable until I read the surcharge (5 euro for drinks and 10 euro for food - this is on top of the prices!)
The main issue is with the staff consistency - whilst there is a very friendly and helpful lady called Katja, we came across a member of staff called Lorenzo who seemed quite dismissive. We booked the boat to San Marco and asked for a ticket for the return, but he said one wasn't needed - when we got on the return boat from San Marco, we were asked for - wait for it - a return ticket! Luckily, the drive recognised us from the earlier boat so all was ok!
We had staff keep trying to get in the room around 4 times an hour, despite the DND and the door being locked. We had to open it and tell them the room was 'occupado' but they still tried to come in! Grrr!!!
On that note, the free water boats are a brilliant and cost saving miracle! The water taxi's are extremely expensive (around 90 euros for the 20 minutes to the hotel, and 70 euros back from San Marco). So nipping on this speed boat is brilliant! Was waiting for us when we got off the aeroplane, and takes approx 15 minutes to get across the water.
Top tip - when you leave the hotel, walk right past the water taxi stand on the right is an arch with "coop" across it - here is a small but magical supermarket! load your bags and go back to the hotel, watch TV and have a few drinks and food in your hotel room - we did this because of the weather, but honestly we came across other couples who were doing this because you can walk round most parts of Venice in a few hours, and there is literally a lot of land to walk and bridges to cross, so if you finish your day early, an early night can be very welcome with supermarket goodies! not that expensive either, very reasonable and better value than the hotel!
We didn't eat in the hotel, but everyone we spoke to about it didn't like it - 45 minute wait for drinks, raw meat being served, food seemed to be frozen and not fresh - however, this is hearsay and we went out every night to eat.
All in all, great place, great hotel, iron out the niggles in what is a beautifully crafted and well equipped hotel, and you're onto a winner!

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be soundproofed, except for the noisy maids in the corridor!
1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in late September. Overall impressions were very high. The room we had (a basic "superior" room) was well furnished and had all the essentials you could need (including Sky TV, though there was a lack of English channels, but who goes on holiday to watch TV?). The bed was a king size and very comfortable. The Bathroom was very nice with a large rainfall shower and separate hand shower (but no bath, though I think they are included in the higher category room).

The hotel is right next to the "Museo" WaterBus stop, so access into Venice is very easy with regular service during the day and a once-hourly "nigh-time" service. The hotel does run a complimentary taxi service both too and from the airport and into Venice. The Airport transfer needs to be booked in advance so if you are going to the hotel; email them 3 days in advance to book. The return taxi needs to be booked so you will need to ensure you do this in good time to guarantee a place. The transfers back to the airport are scheduled for certain times of the day, so you may not be able to book on an "ah-hoc" transfer. (If this does not fit in with your plans, feel free to book your own taxi and pay the going rates (not cheap!), the hotel does the transfer on a complimentary basis - many other hotels would not do this!)

We ate in the hotel restaurant for breakfast which was very god, with cooked items (Egg, Sausage, Bacon) as well as breads, pastries, yogurts etc. We also had dinner on one of our nights which was very good (if a little expensive).

Overall, we thought the hotel was excellent and wouldn't hesitate to return. I don't know what the going rates are for the hotel vs the cost of a hotel in central Venice, but I would hazard a guess that it would be a lot more reasonable. Murano itself is a much quieter island with none of the hustle and bustle of Venice.

1  Thank Mooseepoo
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed in Murano for the last couple of nights of our holiday. I booked this hotel as it had a water taxi back to the airport and had good reviews.

The room was great - really well equipped and well thought out. The shower was really good. The key into the room was temperamental.

The reason I have marked down this hotel is due to the staff and the hotel's rules.
To order any water taxi, 24 hours notice have to be given. So, we were unable to go into Venice on the water taxi as we arrived at the hotel less than 24 hours before the following morning.
When we came to book our return taxi to the airport, I was informed I had to get a taxi 3 and a half hours before my flight. I wanted to get one a lot later, but they would not let me. They had previously asked flight times and said that as my flight was at that time, I had to take that taxi. It is a ridiculous rule to have - I should be able to pick which taxi I want. The staff were very unhelpful. They were obviously quite harrassed - it is a large hotel and there was always a queue to get to see them.

On reading other reviews - I agree with most of them. I think that the hotel has some ironing out to do. I hope these rules get adapted a bit so people are given more of a choice when it comes to the taxis.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank elliecowan
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Had a little trouble finding the water taxi , however the ride over was very pleasant ,the hotel seems brand new . And murano is very different side of Venice very quiet and peaceful. The staff try hard but aren't quite there yet we waited an age for our bags to be brought up and gave up and went out..we had another problem with air con and nobody ever showed up..the rooms were lovely though and the breakfast good..no need to pay for a Gordola ride as the complimentary water taxi was superb to our cruise boat !

1  Thank turtle33
Reviewed September 24, 2013

First off, the Hotel itself is absolutely Breathtaking and the room that we stayed in on the 3rd floor was the best we stayed in during our 12 day excursion through Italy. It would have been a 5 star but there were 2 issues:

1. They charged us $16/per person euro for an average buffet breakfast. I literally had a piece of toast because I thought it was complimentary and of course it turned out not to be. Most expensive piece of toast I ever had. Maybe just a sign before you walk in that says $16/per person would be helpful.

2. The WiFi was not cooperating in our room. It might have just been in our room but it was very sporatic during the 3 days we were there.

Other than those 2 minor issues, the hotel was spectacular and I would highly recommend it. They provide a free shuttle to and from Venice every hour and a half or so. Also provided a free shuttle to the airport on the day of our departure which was awesome. If you want to visit Venice and have a nice quiet stay, this is the place to do it!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I want to precursor this review by saying that the LaGare is a beautiful hotel, a converted old glass museum finished to the highest standards. It would have got 5 stars, but two or three very serious errors tarnished our experience and I think the hotel needs a year or so to brush up on its customer service skills before it can really be described as a 4* hotel.

Our booking through Expedia stipulated a double room and complimentary breakfast. On arrival, our room was a twin, with two single beds pushed together. A beautiful room, but not what you want on a romantic trip to Venice.

We explained the mistake and were told that their booking information didn't mention a double room and there was no way we could be moved because there were no suitable rooms for the duration of our 5 night stay. So we had to milk it with two single beds all week.

It may not have been the hotel's fault, but I would have expected an apology and the offer of a complimentary meal or similar. But there was no sorry, just a shift of the blame to Expedia. The moral if you're staying here? Double check well in advance that you are getting the room you expect.

By the time we sat down to breakfast on our second morning, we were amazed when a waitress brought us a bill for 64 euros for the 4 breakfasts we'd eaten so far. Cue me getting out my booking again to confirm that breakfast was in fact included. Despite being assured the matter was sorted, we were presented with another bill the following morning, and on check out we were told we owed 64 euros. Although it was all sorted, it just grated a little after the twin bed debacle.

There were also some annoyingly long waits at reception to ask a question. There was often only 1 person behind the desk struggling to cope. I was also bizarrely refused an iron and ironing board because "it's not allowed in Venice", which I found odd.

Aside from those admittely annoying mishaps, the hotel itself was great. Murano is a 10 minute vaporetto (water bus) ride from one of the big stops on the main Venice island, and the hotel is literally opposite the stop. Having walked past dozens of shabby, gawdy looking hotels on Venice proper, the LaGare is a class apart, and probably half the price. The communal areas are filled with authentic Murano glass sculptures and giant chandeliers.

I really wouldn't consider staying on Venice itself when this is such a convenient alternative. We travelled in every day with ease, but also had a great base to explore the beautiful Murano island, and the other outlying islands of Burano and Mazzorbo which are 30 minutes from Murano (rather than 45 from Venice).

The bathrooms are the highlight of the rooms; an amazing wet room style rain shower and gorgeous brown brushed concrete. The rooms are spotlessly clean with plasma Sky TVs and even the smallest rooms are amply big enough. Our room overlooked the interior courtyard.

There was some construction work going on at the adjacent glass museum, but I never noticed it.

Overall, this is a new hotel finding its feet. In a couple of years it will no doubt have ironed out the creases (if they're allowed an iron!) and improved their customer service a little. But to stay in such a beautiful hotel for around £130 a night for a double room in Venice, when a shabby old place usually costs double, was a real find. Just make sure you're actually getting a double bed!!

Room Tip: Make sure you contact the hotel directly after booking with a website to make sure it's a double...
4  Thank James B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murano
Cannaregio
Cannaregio
Carnival Palace Hotel
Carnival Palace Hotel
#53 of 385 in Venice

Been to LaGare Hotel Venezia - MGallery by Sofitel? Share your experiences!