“A waste of a beautiful afternoon.”
Review of B.F. Signoretti

B.F. Signoretti
Ranked #13 of 25 things to do in Murano
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A waste of a beautiful afternoon.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My sister and I wanted to head to Murano to see glass figures etc. being made. We asked at our hotel and the concierge immediately called the shop. A taxi was enroute immediately. So far so good. It was a lovely trip across the lagoon and when we arrived we were bustled along being informed that we were 'late'. If there had been a time issue...we never would have come. Our concierge asked if we were too late and the shop said no.
Once inside we were brought to our tour guide and then we stood while he took some sort of media type back to play with glass blowing. Fine. Not a problem.
We were then abandoned while he took them on to the next section. Again. Fine. the glass master was making a vase for us to watch. he was a sport.
Our guide gets back, talks about his living on Burano and the rude famous people he saw the night before at a restaurant in town. Not precisely informative as to the glass making process. We continued on and he tried to keep us in the large artistic glass area when there was no way in hell I was going to buy a large penguin and try and transport it home. Again unsupervised we slipped into the jewelry shop where I selected two art pieces.
Our guide returned and seemed upset that we had escaped the land of ten pound glass sculptures. He returned outside and fussed over his media people.
I spent about 400 euro on two wonderful necklaces (yes, I knew how much they would be before I went)...now it is time to leave and this is where it all goes to hell.
There are about eleven people waiting for the promised taxi (the shop is literally fenced in on either side). Our guide stops the earliest folk waiting from boarding it and sends the 'media' people off in the water taxi. (it fits about 12...there were 4 people on it)
I was a little irritated by that on behalf of the folks who had to wait.
One hour in the hot sun later my little bag of jewelry began to feel heavy. At this point I had begun to look for escape routes. Finally the taxi arrived and we piled into it. We had been told we would be taken to Strada Nuova but our guide had refused to listen to the fact that we were staying in Santa Croce (though he asked twice) and we got dropped in St. Marks. The farthest possible place from our hotel, but fortunately we knew our way home.
It was a miserable afternoon that started well. If they wanted to keep us out in the sun they should have offered water. Should have paid attention...and should not have treated us like we were less than those with cameras.(oh wait. Ipads)
It was the most unpleasant experience I had in all of Venice which was tragic since I had really looked forward to learning about the process.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank ViolaGHiebert
Elisabetta F, Direttore generale at B.F. Signoretti, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Madam,

Referring to the review you posted on Tripadvisor.com and concerning your recent tour of our Factory, I am sorry to ascertain, once again, how personally any experience in life can be lived, according to the mood of that day, the expectations, the personal feelings. According to your review, your complaint involved every single aspect of your tour at our Factory, starting from the time – I suppose you arrived within our time frame (5 pm) – but you might want to know that we often wait for our visitors to arrive after that time, if we are made aware of their arrival on due time. Therefore you will comprehend that it is hard for me to believe that my staff – who is attentively and constantly trained to be top professional and efficient – might have somehow mentioned the fact that you were “late”.
That said, let me spend a couple of words about the tour guide who usually welcomes our guests and illustrates the glass making process with knowledge and professionalism. It is true that he loves his island of origin (Burano), but he is also an excellent guide who perfectly knows everything about the glass blowing art.
I also need to stress out that our sales staff members are not “supervisors”: they are trained to be attentive, kind and helpful by promptly providing any kind of information about the glass masterpieces we display and sell (by the way: we ship our items worldwide); at the same time, our visitors are free to walk around on their own and there is always someone available to show the way back to the exit if they get lost.

As far as the taxi boat is concerned, the four people who boarded before the remaining passengers were: a) probably waiting longer than the others; b) they were probably going in a different direction than Strada Nuova or Saint Mark’s Square, otherwise there would have been no sense for us to stop other 8 people from stepping onboard. It is true that it was very hot, but everyone is welcome to wait for the taxi boat in our air-conditioned shop or in our comfortable garden equipped with pleasant shade areas. No one of my staff members would have denied a glass of fresh waters if requested.

What really makes me wonder about your experience at our factory is the following: if you felt that irritated by so many factors, why did you decide to purchase the necklaces? You complaint about everything, so you will surely comprehend my incertitude. I am led to believe that you possibly had a bad day and you therefore wouldn’t have enjoyed your tour in anycase.
I have always outlined the importance of our customers’ complaints in order to improve our service and our quality standards, that are already very elevated. But in this case, I am afraid there is nothing I notice that could be improved on our side.

But I thank you anyway for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com and I am formally inviting you to come and visit us in the future again. I am positive that the new experience will erase the bad feeling of a “beautiful afternoon wasted”.

Cordially yours,

London, United Kingdom
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I recently took a trip to Venice and was recommended to visit Murano Island as my friend said it was an experience not to be missed! I am so happy I decided to take the time to go as it really was a fantastic experience. Also after reading the last review I felt compelled to leave some feedback for other visitors as it really surprised me.

I was given the free water taxi to B.F. signoretti offered by the hotel I was staying in. I believe you need to manage your own expectations. Of course I was expecting to be pushed into buying something however the service I received was fantastic and in my experience, not at all pushy. Emanuele was wonderful and made you feel at ease. The visit was both educational and enjoyable and the gift of a glass blown horse, I thought, was such a lovely touch. It is true that it is very fragile however! There are plenty of rooms in the factory to which all can meet anyone's budget as they are all laid out according to price.

At the end of my visit we were taken back by another water taxi and was dropped off a 10 minute walk from San Marco Square. We were able to enjoy a walk around here to end a brilliant day. Thank you to all the lovely staff for making my trip!

Visited June 2013
Elisabetta F, Direttore generale at B.F. Signoretti, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your kind words below so much, it is such a pleasure for me to realize, once again, that my directions in terms of courtesy, professionalism and excellent service are properly followed by my staff.
I hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you at our Factory in the future again.
Merry Christmas to you and to your beloved ones.

Signoretti
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Beautiful work, pushy and shady sales process”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I wanted to take a ride to Murano so we asked our hotel how we get there. They told us they provide a free shuttle to the island so we can check out the glass factories...Great!

Well, my mistake. The hotel (Londra Palace) and the BS Signoretti are working together to get as much money from the tourists as they can. We board a nice water taxi that takes us through the canals to the island but they drop us right at the front door of Signoretti. When we get off the boat someone is there to meet us and this is when I figure out the scheme is on. I thought we were just going to the island to explore, not to a sales pitch.

We get a 10 minute tour of the "factory", which is no bigger than my own garage. I find it hard to believe they make all their glass in this little storage area with one fire oven going. They said they were going to give us a special demonstration because they were about to close so all the work was done for the day. Then the glass "master" makes a glass horse that the sales guys says is the hardest thing for a glass blower to make - once you can make the horse then you become a "master". (Oh, and by the way, there was a tip jar.) After the pitiful demo they take us to the showroom where the sales guy is rude, pushy, and doesn't really care about the customer. He actually told us that we should not buy gifts for our family in Venice, but rather we should buy something for ourselves from him. He walks us upstairs and we walk by very strategically placed photos of the factory with famous people - kind of like what a deli in New York does. Then when he realized we were not going to buy anything from the expensive floor he takes us through a closed door to the small pieces that look like they are China made. After we bought ourselves something I asked how we can get to the part of the island we can walk around and take photos and he said we can’t because our ride was there to take us back. He also said there was nothing on the island but factories and industrial buildings so there is no need to walk around anyway. Before we left the sales guy gives us the horse that was made in the demo, but when we get back to our room 30 minutes later the leg was broken – no wonder they gave it to us. We are taken back to our hotel on an old run down boat that took the not so pretty route back to our hotel. We get our room key from the concierge that set up this scheme and suddenly isn’t as friendly because he knows we are pissed.

They do make great glass products, they are nice, heavy, and high quality but I doubt everything is made there. I am sure someone from the factory will respond to this, but nothing they can say will make me think this was a positive experience.

The experience was ruined for us and I will make sure to let everyone I know to be careful when they check out BS Signoretti.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank RPH81
Elisabetta F, Direttore generale at B.F. Signoretti, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Customer,
The more I read the visitors general comments, the more I realize that the high pressure sale feeling is really subjective, depending on the individual perceptions in accordance to the particular moment of their lives and their expectations during the visit at our Factory.
Never the less, a criticism is usually important to us, because it helps us put ourselves in the shoes of our visitors/customers and see things from their point of view. But in order to improve a service and a company customers care, this criticism doesn’t have to be sterile; on the contrary, it has be constructive.
Let me stress out that we rent display cases in the most prestigious hotels in Venice and our reputation must be at the height of their prestige. In fact, we are one of the most reliable and renowned glass factories on Murano Island, recommended by the best hotels.
As previously stated, the furnace you have visited is just one of our several studios. Our show rooms display our large collection of glass products made over the years in all our studios by our several teams of 3 to 4 masters. By the way: we give ALL our little horses for free as a kind gesture toward our customers, because they are very fragile (as they are not tempered) and we are therefore used to give them for free instead of selling them.
I never tire of repeating that our sales staff is attentively trained and instructed to satisfy our clients’ expectations without exceeding in anything and Emanuele is one of my best sales assistants : I have personally talked to him and he perfectly remembers you: you seemed very happy with your purchase and his assistance, as you ended up sharing hugs with him. You will therefore comprehend that he too is very confused about the words you have spent on him.
As already reported in a previous reply, we have dozens and dozens of pictures on display witnessing that international celebrities from movie, sport and culture world, prominent personalities from the international political scene, ambassadors and consoles made their trip to our factory; Mrs JK Rowling (the famous author of Harry Potter saga) visited us even twice in the past years. If we weren’t the reliable and serious factory we are, we wouldn’t be honored by the visit of such prominent and famous celebrities. I don’t honestly believe that we can be compared to a deli in New York, I don’t really see the connection.
In the light of what written above, I am uncertain of the reasons that brought you to write such a report on our factory: I don’t actually understand why you ended up purchasing a valuable masterpiece if you don’t trust the origin of our glass and you dare comparing our ancient handicraft to poor imitations manufactured in other countries. Why spending a lot of time in carefully selecting a precious glass product that is going to be produced expressly for you by our talented masters if you found our staff to be rude and careless? It doesn’t make any sense to me, honestly.
Since our customers satisfaction is our primary goal and we do not want our clients to be less than happy with their purchase, I have decided that your order will be canceled and you will be reimbursed. I will have my office assistant contact you by email and provide the necessary details for the refund. In this way I hope you feel more comfortable with your Murano experience.
Thank you for your attention so far.

Elisabetta Fusato Signoretti
Winthrop, Massachusetts
“BF Signoretti”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I am writing to let anyone and everyone planning a trip to Murano Italy to Please go and See this wonderful factory. It had been a dream of mine for many years to tour a glass factory since seeing a show on PBS Television years ago about the master glass blower CHIHULY... Who got his training in Murano......
A little Fate and a lot of luck led me BF Signoretti. even though I was touring the Island all alone,
I couldn't help feeling like I was with old friends. My time spent learning to "Blow Glass" is a memory etched in my heart.( I still don't know if its something everyone gets to experience) Please ask for a great guy Named Emanuele Puddu,He showed me everything , explained everything and was patient informative and beyond helpful He went above and beyond to make me feel special and created the most incredible experience , One I shall never forget...... The whole staff in fact was was kind attentive, fun. and they all spoke English. They never once put pressure on me to buy anything..... as a matter of fact it was quite the opposite in fact. .... I felt like I was among old friends "

Visited October 2012
Elisabetta F, Direttore generale at B.F. Signoretti, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for recommending a visit at our Factory to everyone, I am very pleased to read that you have so greatly enjoyed yours!

Emanuele and I, we do look forward to your next trip to Murano.

Honolulu, Hawaii
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Decorative glass”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I met a fellow traveler that recommended that I go to Murano Island in the Venice lagoon. When I arrived, I thought it was a tourist trap. I went on a guided tour in English, learning how Venician glass was made. It was quite interesting. I was expecting to be led into a room and pressured to buy something. It didn't happen. Instead, I wandered around watching artisans blowing glass, or using kilns to complete their fantastic works.
BF Signoretti was very educational more than anything, I know as I'm a teacher in Hawai'i. I wanted to buy a large piece but I have a small house. I did buy a Venus de Milo type bust as a souvenir of my stay in Italy. I was happy taht it arrived in one piece wrapped like a mummy.
If you like to see and learn new things specifically about Murano glass, check out Signoretti

Visited June 2012
Dear Customer,

Thank you for recommending us on Tripadvisor.com, it is really appreciated. Our ancient glass art was handed over from father to son in the past centuries and it is impossible to describe it in words: it has to be seen with the eyes, in order to realize how much work, sweat and effort are behind one glass, one vase, one chandelier.

I hope I will have the pleasure of welcoming you at our premise in the future again..

Thank you.