“Great coasters, beautiful view, short lines in December”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fuji-Q Highland

Ranked #1 of 44 things to do in Fujiyoshida
Sendai, Japan
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Great coasters, beautiful view, short lines in December”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

If you like roller coasters, you will really enjoy this theme park. There are 4 main coasters and they are all great. Two of the roller coasters, Eejanaika and Takabisha, really made me nauseous! It's the first time in my life I ever "met my match" in roller coasters. We went on a weekday in December, between Christmas and New Years, and the longest wait we had was only 1 hour (though for most rides it was only a 25 minute wait). It is important to be aware that most of the rides are not wheelchair accessible and people who use wheelchairs use crutches, or have a broken arm, are not permitted on the coasters or major thrill rides. I had a bad ankle, so we rented a wheelchair and just left it by the ride entrances so I could go on the rides. The park is not very large, but the four roller coasters are fun. To avoid looooooong lines, try to go in the winter and/or avoid school breaks and weekends in August.

Here are some tips:
- Double check the website to make sure the park will be open. It is open most days of the year, but check the calendar to be sure.
- Arrive early (we got to the park at 9:00 am for a 9:30 am opening, and already there was a long line to get in and buy tickets).
- Bundle up! But be aware that you will have to take off your hats and scarves for thrill rides (so your ears will be cold!). We took hand warmers and that helped keep us warm. We didn't get cold until around 4:00 pm, when the sun began to set.
- There is a bus stop and cafe next to the hotel and near the park's entrance, so it is easy to get to and from the park.
- There are lockers if you need to deposit large bags or suitcases for the day.
- You can get an English map at the park entrance. You can also rent a wheelchair there (500 yen for the day plus a 500 yen refundable deposit).
- The crepes are not made fresh and not very good!

Visited December 2012

• Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Best theme park in Japan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is my 2nd time visiting this theme park and I still don't find it boring! Amazing roller coaster rides (there's the 4 main ones) and a very scary haunted hospital. A great view of Mt. Fuji can be seen while playing it as well.

The downside is that it's not easy to get to this park as it's quite far away from Tokyo. But if you're staying in Tokyo and would want to visit this theme park, you can always book the bus (coach) where will take you to Fuji-Q theme park in around 1 hr 45 mins from Shinjuku.

Website to book the bus: https://www.highwaybus.com/rs-web01-prd-rel/gp/foreign/frgSelectBordingDate?lang=en&lineId=110&onStationCd=008&offStationCd=059

It covers both the ride and the theme park's entrance fee. The theme park closes at 5:30pm so be sure to choose like 6:15pm or 6:45pm for the return trip. As there's not much stuffs to see there after the theme park is closed.

Amazing theme park and definitely for the hardcore peeps!

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Shawn L
ct93
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

I booked the trip to Japan just for this. I really not disappointed. It wasn't busy, but still the queue was very long. If you from Australia and only been to goldcoast themeparks, this is real gold!! Long queue but it last long! First time I clap my hands after a ride, it was just too good.

Oonly regret, is that I didn't had time to do the haunted house.

3 Thank ct93
Jakarta, Indonesia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Definitely a must-visit for rollercoaster lovers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I went there with 2 other friends on early October. It's a weekday and we're expecting less queue, apparently all top 4 attraction has average waiting time for 1,5 hours. Good thing is we completed all 4 attractions just before the park closed. We get inside around 10am and the park closed at 5pm. We went straight to Fujiyama, Takabisha, Dodonpa and end the rollercoaster madness with Eejanaika. Each of them ever/still hold a world record.

The park also offer a bus package from Shinjuku, total cost of 7300 yen with roundtrip bus + one-day-pass included. Totally a superb experience!

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Daniel G
Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“3 rides for 4400 yen is not my idea of fun”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I booked a 2 night stay in fuji just to go on the big 4 rollercoasters. I love them, but watching the you tube videos of a couple of them even made me a little scared.

You have the option of paying entry, plus buying a ticket for whatever you want to ride, or paying for a free pass (5000 yen for a 1 day adult pass). My hostel gave me a discount coupon so my free pass was 4400 yen.

I arrived at 930 in the morning, whilst the park itself looked empty from the train station end, I think it was because everyone was already lined up for the big 4.

First up I waited for 1.5 hours to get on Eejanaika, and after watching it while waiting and thinking I would lose some of my soul on the ride, thought it was actually kind of weak, and over waaaay to quick. I was sitting in the bottom row, so even had the most gorgeous unobstructed view while going up at the start.

Next I went to Takabisha & its 2 hour wait. Now this ride, with its steepest plunge in the world, was the first reason i came to the park. After ventilation getting towards the top, & seeing the video footage, I was excited that it at least lasted a couple of minutes. I think I was even more disappointed with this ride. The vertical lift to the top of the plunge was kind of freaky, but really because of how slow it was, the drop was kind of nothing though. There is a part of the ride that I did not expect at all, an was pretty cool, but I won't give it away.

Next up, and only an hour or so wait for Fujiyama. This was part of the Guinness world records at one point for its height (see photos I've uploaded), not sure of still the case. It's basically your good old school coaster, with lots of speed, up and down, sideways/ corkscrew type moves, and no upside down bits. This was by far my favourite of the 3, which even suprised me!

After this I needed a break for food & a chance to sit down etc. when I'd done, it was close to 4pm, there was a 2 hour wait for Dondopa before I got lunch & with the park closing at 6, I probably wouldn't have made it to use the ride anyway (if the line goes to closing time they shut it so no one in the line misses out).

At this point I decided to get the train back, which was a good idea as somewhere between the last ride & eating I'd managed to lose my free pass!
It's literally a ticket, slightly bigger than a business card, so might pay to buy one f those things to hang round your neck to hold it!

I should point out, I'm not a young theme park goer anymore that can handle anything thrown at her, I'm 33 & get scared much more than I used to! I think perhaps these rides were just built up to be more than they are, and with such a long wait you know what to expect.

I much prefer the Indiana Jones rides at Tojyo Disney Sea, or the Mummy ride at Universal Studios.

Food was OK, and decenty priced, can't comment on anything else as there was no time!

Certainly not worth the money in my opinion, and I wouldn't go back.

2 Thank Carts79