“Live music in a small town”
Review of Black Sheep Inn

Black Sheep Inn
Ranked #13 of 34 Restaurants in Wakefield
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Val des Monts, Qc
“Live music in a small town”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Great bands, down and dirty without the grit and spit

Visited December 2011
2 Thank GrowlerMonkey

Ottawa, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bizarre Atmosphere”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Blacksheep Inn is one of the strangest places I’ve ever been with a weird atmosphere and zombie-like patrons. After years of hearing about how much of a great place it is I finally went over the Christmas holidays and watched the Mighty Popo. This is an African-beat type of band (Rwandan) and they practically pleaded with the audience to come up and dance. For the first three or four songs my husband and I were the only ones dancing in this relatively busy venue. Finally people started to get up on the dance floor, annoying those people who were sitting at the tables as they couldn’t see the band anymore (the body language said it all). I mean common! It’s a gig! I just couldn’t believe it. I went again to watch Jeremy Fisher last weekend with my two girlfriends. Again, for the longest time we were the only ones singing and dancing as he played. We were taking pictures of ourselves with the band in the background, laughing, being merry having a grand ole’ time. About halfway through Jeremy’s set while he was tuning his guitar and setting himself up for the next song a lady bartender came up to us and told us to be quiet as we were disturbing the audience. Firstly, we were talking about the gig (all positive) and secondly we weren’t really being that loud. Just talking normally. I guess it sounded a lot worse because of the zombie-like patrons sitting there staring quietly into space. It was strange! So I thought I would chat with the senior looking lady bartender and ask her why they are telling people to be quiet at a gig whenever he isn’t even playing? She then looked straight into my eyes and said “I wanted to tell you guys to shut up all night”. I couldn’t believe it. The Blacksheep Inn is not the National Arts Centre and we weren’t watching an orchestra or the ballet. But then again am I really surprised? Ottawa is the only town where when watching an outside rock concert (such as at Bluesfest) people in their lawn chairs sitting close to the stage get annoyed because people are standing in front of them! I know firsthand, I’ve been told off!

On the food side of things the food is average pub grub. If you want something dirty, try one of their specialty poutines as they are pretty good in that greasy kind of way.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Melanie A
“Memorable nights!”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We've seen two shows at the Black Sheep (Matthew Barber and Elliott Brood) and they were both amazing shows. I can't comment on the food per say because the food you order here comes from the Café Rutherford, which is the place next door - great food though! But the Black Sheep itself is a great, older venue for concerts. It has charm and feels like a place Neil Young would have sang in at some point in time! I will be going back again for sure.

• Visited January 2012
“Nice ambiance”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Great atmosphere and vibe with live music and good food!

Visited February 2011
Ottawa, Canada
“Lynn Miles”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Keith Glass - extra bonus.. Great show as usual at the BL Shp.
Negative: PACKED! But hey, that's what ya get when the bands are good. It's always packed when I go there so GET THERE EARLY

Visited January 2012