Alpengruss Motel
Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa(Wakefield)(Great Value!)
$186
$92
$91
Motel Montcalm(Gatineau)
$65
Du Chevalier Motel & Suites(Gatineau)(Great Value!)
$70
$68
$106
$100
Motel Ritz(Gatineau)(Great Value!)
$64
$128
$106
All reviewsbar fridgegas fireconvenient locationking bedsummer
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I don't understand people who go to a motel thinking they're going to get luxury like the Hilton. You have to remember it is a motel, they may not have top of the line tv's or beds. That's what you get for paying 60$.

I stayed at the Alpengruss at the beginning of December with my brother and I was actually surprised with the rooms. I really didn't know what to expect, I thought it would be a little run down, but the room that we got was clean and nicely decorated. Yes, the motel could use some improvements, but nothing that stopped us from having an enjoyable night.

We also ate dinner at the restaurant, the meal was good. It felt like I was having a home cooked meal and the waitress was very nice.They're homemade bread it absolutely amazing. We had breakfast and it was really good.

Overall I think this place is good for the price. It isn't luxury but it was clean and everything was working well. My expectations were met, because I was thinking realistically and knew it was a motel not hotel.

I would definitely go back because I absolutely loved the town and I think the prices were affordable.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ang0316
Reviewed November 20, 2011

This is one of the few options if you want to stay in Wakefield. it's a quaint, old little hotel with the lobby and restaurant at the foot of a hill and the rooms on the top of the hill. it has that Bavarian feel in decor and hosipitality and you find yourself forgetting you are still in North America at times. It's set in a beautiful wooded ridge.

When I walked into my room, the first, overwhelming impression was - COLD. It was freezing in there! There is a small, radiant-heat unit in the wall, which I immediately cranked. My room remained freezing for the next hour or so until I left and returned several hours later. Then it was fine.

The room was spacious and cozy (once it warmed up!) with nice hardwood floors, a couch and a nice balcony overlooking the restaurant below. There is a door with an interesting leather padding with heart-patterned studs in it. The bed was not the most comfortable one I've had, but it was ok, and the quilt in the closet was a mandatory additon to the coverings.

The bathroom could have used some work. The tiles were cold and the grout was deteriorating and worn. The shower spewed brown water from the rusty pipes for a moment before clearing up. The towels were mismatched and worn, frayed from overuse. The water was hard and soap was tiny, gritty blocks.

Breakfast the next morning, surprisingly, was really great. The bacon was cooked to chewy perfection, the eggs hot and not over or uner cooked, and everything delivered quickly and accuratley. It seems to be a very popular place for breakfast, so best to get there early as it was filling up quickly after opening at 8am.

It's not a great place, there are some improvements needed, but it has character and the setting is very nice.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank adavici
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I booked a room two weeks before coming and find out that my booking was cancelled only after arriving there. They got a better deal - a group booking and simply stepped over me and my family. If you don't wont it happened to you please don’t go there!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Eugenia018
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Stayed here for one night. NEVER AGAIN. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! Dirty and tired. NOT secure - you can't tell if the door is actually locked from the inside - most important when you are going to sleep at night! Abrupt and cold customer relations - I dare not call it customer service. Torn bedding. Dust everywhere. Musty feeling in the rooms. I'm sure the bathroom had not been thoroughly cleaned in WEEKS. Poorly maintained overall. Just gross. At this price point, cheap & cheerful is what you should want. Clean and secure is what you expect, no matter the cost.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Fishoutofwaterwp
Jess H, Owner at Alpengruss Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

We are new owners of the Alpengruss Cafe & Motel as of April 2012. We hope that you will come back and check out our hard work!

Reviewed September 7, 2010

We checked into the Motel for a one night stay as all the other hotels, motels and B&Bs in the area were already booked for the long weekend and this was the only place we could get.

After our evening out in Wakefield we were readying ourselves for bed around 2am and we discovered a bed bug on the pillow of one of the beds. After inspecting further, we discovered bed bug feces in the folds of the mattress.

As there is no one at reception during the night to assist, we made the decision to sleep in our car vs the infested room. However, all our bags had been left open, on the floor, and we were unsure if any bugs had made their way into our clothes, etc.

At 9am Sunday morning, we went to go speak to the hotel manager about what had occurred. Her immediate reaction was concern for her own apartment on the property.

She refunded our money for our one night stay without any problem, which we appreciated, however no apology or concern for our belongings (or the fact we spent the night in a cold car) were offered.

She also did not acknowledge that we now had to spend an entire morning of our vacation laundering all of our belongings at the local laundry mat (the location of which she only offered up after we inquired).

Our friends were in another room and while we had also discovered one bed bug in their room, they chose to stay in the room, partly because we had to sleep in their car and there wouldn't have been room for everyone in the vehicle. At 2am, there weren't a lot of options. When we told the manager they also had bed bugs but stayed in the room, her reaction was "Well I can't refund their money because they stayed in the room."

We were in room 3, our friends room 15.

Apparently they have a great breakfast at the restaurant (a place I'd be leery to eat at given the hotel has bed bugs, but that's your choice!), but I would definitely NOT recommend you stay there.

The furnishings, carpeting, and walls are dark and old, the beds and bedding are obviously not in good condition, and the bath linens are something your mom would use for rags, well passed their usability.

When we told this story to locals, they were not surprised. The hotel has apparently been falling into disrepair over the years and they have chambermaids who are known not to pay the closest attention to cleanliness.

While we appreciate the manager refunded our money, her lack of compassion and concern for her own belongings over the fact her guests had to sleep in cars were the most upsetting.

On the other hand, James, the guy who runs the laundry mat is AMAZING. He googled solutions to the problem, gave us lots of advice on how to ensure any possible bed bug eggs did not survive, and even gave us free laundry detergent and ensured all his machines were up and working for us. Great guy.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends