“Weekend in the park”

Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I wanted to stay here so I could ski in this part of the park, and it was great to be able to walk out the door and put on my skis and go. It was also nice to do the trails then come back, grab my bathing suit, and jump in one of two hot tubs - when it was -20! The weather was too much for the tub next to the spa and killed the jets, but the water was hot and I could hear the river instead. I did wonder if you could do a nordic spa and use the river as the cold pool, hmmm...

The receptionists were all very friendly, helpful and patient with my endless questions and requests. No request was too small, not even a Google Map of the route to walk from the bus station to the Rideau Canal in Ottawa!

I had dinner and two breakfasts and the food was very good to excellent. My reservation for dinner at Muse was moved up to Heron's because it was a quiet night. This did seem to caused a bit of bumpiness in timing and coordination of wine and food, but my waiter made every effort to mitigate that and nothing got cold or couldn't be eaten.

I found the spa in the foundations of the old mill to be quite beautiful, and I enjoyed my massage. The heated massage table was great! When I realized how stiff my hands and feet were from the cold and skiing, Shawn gave them extra attention that was much appreciated.

I thought my weekend was expensive, but I knew that when I booked. I liked the unpretentiousness of the place and the people. You achieve a polite informality which suited me just fine.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank AllieLupin
MoulinWakefieldMill, Guest Relations Manager at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

What an eventful weekend you spent with us! Thank you for letting us know the ways in which we met your expectations. You sampled so many of our amenities and services, and learning of your satisfaction is most rewarding. We agree – that heated massage table is a treat all on its own. We particularly appreciate how our staff were able to add to the relaxed and comfortable experience of your stay. Once again, our sincere thanks, and we hope we will see you the next time you're up this way.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,038)

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Our company hosted this year's Management Team Meeting at the Wakefield Mill. The team stayed for 3 days. We had 12 overnight guests and up to 15 attendees during the day. The location of the hotel and spa is absolutely beautiful, and so are the buildings/rooms. The service at the hotel (event management, front desk, restaurant, reservations) was outstanding. They went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and to help that the 3-day event run as smoothly as possible. Whether it was a last-minute hotel room, another guest for lunch, additional print-outs of presentations and training materials ... the hotel was very helpful and professional. We would definitely recommend the Wakefield Mill as a meeting/offsite venue for Corporate retreats and we will certainly stay at the hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Angelika, Your review has been very kindly received by all involved in making your stay at the Mill a success. We know that our corporate clients have very specific objectives for maximizing their time, and helping you execute to meet those objectives is our continual goal. Thank you again for commending our services, amenities, rooms and gorgeous grounds. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Room - in need of repair / tile in bathroom broken
Spa - in need of cleaning
Restaurant - staff pretentious, food over rated \
Service extremely slow
When reported to front desk, got the deer in headlights look

Will not return

Room Tip: save your money
Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barry C
MoulinWakefieldMill, Public Relations Manager at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

We value all of our guests' feedback, even when it is difficult to hear, such as this review. While we may not agree with everything you wrote, we certainly respect your right to tell us otherwise. Your comments are not ignored nor dismissed. Where we are able to rectify matters, we make every attempt to do so. Towards that end, if you would feel comfortable providing us with the number of the room you stayed in, either by private email or here, we will look into the matter of repairing the broken tile right away.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My fiance and I were given a gift certificate for the Wakefield Mill Hotel and Spa that we decided to use for a couples massage package with brunch on Sunday, Jan 5th 2014. We decided to have our brunch prior to our massage, and I must say that the food was absolutely delicious. The server was average based on the fact that all he had to do was provide us with coffee (which he offered us when we were sat) and never did. After the server sat others and offered and served them coffee, I had to get up and ask him to bring us ours. Nevertheless, apart from that one minor hiccup, the brunch was great, which is much more than I can say for the spa.

Trying to locate the spa is like a rat trying to make it's way through a maze, and there are no signs to direct you where to go. However, I won't let that affect my review on the spa itself. Our couples' massage was quite nice, although I found the desk lady quite rude. Afterwards, we decided to relax with a drink and then use the hot tub. We asked the lady at the desk where it was located, and she pointed us to the door heading outside and around the corner. To my surprise, absolutely nothing had been shovelled (several inches of snow is extremely cold on bare feet with sandals), the hot tub cover was still on (which I removed myself), and I wouldn't even describe the "hot tub" as a "warm tub". It was so cold we could barely stay in it. Turning on the jet timer made no difference to the temperature either. Further, it is not as if we were there on a very cold day. It was only approximately -5 degrees celsius that day with absolutely no wind. It was a horrible way to end a "couples massage and spa day".
This place seems like a very nice bed and breakfast, but as a spa, I would not recommend it any person I know. Most notably, the price is absolutely absurd, considering Le Nordik (just a short drive away) offers exponentially more as a spa at an even cheaper rate. Nice bed and breakfast, but do not visit exclusively for a spa package.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
MoulinWakefieldMill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your brunch and your massage at the spa. We did review your comments about the signage to get to the spa and will be rectifying that shortly. Thank you.

The situation you referenced regarding the hot tub is most unfortunate and I do apologize. The temperature setting for both hot tubs is normally set at 102 F, but apparently that day, someone had set the temperature to "pool" setting....which is obviously not hot enough. We did have some difficulties with freezing rain/ice removal that weekend, and it has since been clear to our normal standards. Our team should have informed you that the tub was not functioning properly and directed you to the other tub which is located at the Eco-River Lodge.

Again, Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your concerns.

Robert Milling.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We arrived on time for our 7:00pm reservation, we had to wait 15 minutes before the assigned us our table the kept saying somebody will be with you soon (strik 1), we ordered a bottle of wine after many attempt from the waiter he finally opened the bottle (strik 2) to find out that the wine was bad (strik 3). We ordered the 7 meal surprise it was definetly a bad surprise they should concentrate more on the quality of the food than the presentation. This restaurant is over priced, that was our last visit, never again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
MoulinWakefieldMill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent comments. It is unfortunate that we did not meet your expectations and I am sorry that you will not be giving us another chance. As to your specific concerns, I should make a few points. First, it should be noted that we do not take 7pm reservations in the dining room, but rather reservations at 6:45 and 7:15. A review of that reservations of the days previous to your review, confirmed that. The reason for this policy is because 7PM is the busiest time for reservation requests and we have found that by spreading out reservations 15 minutes on either side of that time tends to ensure better and more timely restaurant service. That said, there are occasions where there can be short delays such as you described. Most guests are very happy to have a cocktail in the Heron Wine Bar while their table is being prepared.

As to your comment on wine, it is true that occasionally wine goes bad. We have a large, climate-controlled stone wine cellar with approximately 150 different labels. When a wine is deemed to be inappropriate we return it to the vendor. The guest is obviously not charged and a new bottle is found. Most guests -- yourself excepted -- are more understanding of this rare circumstance as it is both beyond our control and occasionally happens with restaurants that have a large wine list.

I am pleased that you acknowledged our kitchen's creativity in terms of food presentation.

Thank you again for your comments.
Robert Milling

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We were booked for a weekend last summer and had to cancel, due to Illness, with very short notice.They gave us a credit which was very fair under the circumstances.
Thank you all at the front desk and in management.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
MoulinWakefieldMill, Manager at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

We're so pleased that you took the time to let us know of your satisfaction with the service you received. I'm sure you'll agree that the winter experience is uniquely peaceful and beautiful, and hopefully, you'll be able to return this summer, as you had originally intended, to make a comparison. Again, our thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Very relaxing atmosphere with excellent food. The service was also excellent with friendly reception. We did not use the spa facilities. We plan to revisit in the summer or winter which might provide even better activities.

Room Tip: We had a front view which was very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
MoulinWakefieldMill, Manager at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed the comforts of our hotel and your dining experience. All of our staff take great pleasure whenever they are commended for their service. We hope that the next time you are able to visit, you'll be able to enjoy some of the spa's offerings – the view of the waterfalls is a treat all in itself. If you are planning to return soon, we do have several winter getaways that might be of interest. Regardless, we look forward to seeing you the next time you visit us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hilton Lac-Leamy
#7 of 26 in Gatineau
The Metcalfe Hotel
The Metcalfe Hotel
#20 of 68 in Ottawa

Been to Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!