“Wonderful Me - day retreat”

Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful experience that started straight off with the reservation. When I requested a quiet area to allow myself to decompress, the friendly host directed me to the 4th floor - with a warning that there were stairs involved.

On my arrival, I was warmly welcomed. My room was great, the beds and pillows truly comfortable, and quiet! I only heard a few guests arrive, then nothing!

Supper at the Heron room was an experience - knowledgeable staff, great presentation, warm and flavourful meal. Same with breakfast and lunch.

I also had two spa services - nice location, adaptable staff, and great services.

Overall...I am thrilled with my stay. Will be posting pics too

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,038)

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Visited last night.

We arrived incredibly early for our reservation but were promptly seated and acknowledged, asked about drinks, etc.

We both decided to get the Explore tasting menu. Note: this menu is NOT for vegetarians - neither of us are so, Explore it was. 7 courses and 1 amuse-bouche compliments of the chef.

Several of the selections had a decidedly Asian influence which I liked, i.e. wakame salad, tempura scallop, etc. There was also a tasty duck tartar bite and a piece of venison grilled to a lovely rare. There was an odd almond sorbet with garam masala topping and a couple of odd pairings of squash with dessert but overall, very enjoyable.

The service was outstanding; polite + knowledgeable.

Where I’m docking points: This was close to a 4-hour meal. It is my understanding that there were issues in the kitchen. Our poor server apologized profusely several times and did comp. us our 2 bottles of sparkling water and 1 glass of wine however that is a LONG meal. We weren’t expecting fast food, just faster food.

I would definitely go back again, possibly skip the tasting menu.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I called on a Saturday to purchase a Gift Certificate for my parents, the staff took my information and said it would be mailed out to them on Monday (2 days later). Mail normally takes 1-2 business days as they live in Ottawa. I noticed that the purchase was made immediately on my credit card but I never received an email confirmation of the purchase.

By Thursday afternoon, my parents had still NOT received the gift certificate and I became concerned. I called the Wakefield Mill and was told that they would be checking my confirmation and emailing me back. I confirmed I purchased the gift card on Friday (incorrecty) the previous week. An hour later, I still had not received any response so I called again to provide additional information and clarify. The lady at the front desk immediately told me it was mailed out on Friday. This was a complete lie!! When I informed her that I had made a mistake when telling her I purchased it on Saturday (not Friday), she then proceeded to finally look up my order (but obviously not before and I think catching someone be outright dishonest with you is very poor customer service). She then confirmed my credit card info. However, she could not confirm the mailing address and she said she would be emailing me back (again saying she would contact me).

By the next day, I have still not received any email confirmation. So first she lies to get me off the phone and then she does not immediately look it up or do so before the end of her shift. Having caught her being dishonest should have made her motivated to confirm all my details. Yes, the purchase went through on my card but now it's Friday and my parents still don't have their gift card, I have no receipt and the staff is slow/unresponsive and dishonest.

3  Thank C L
MoulinWakefieldMill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent comments. We have reviewed your letter and have tried to reach you by phone to determine whether or not you have received your gift certificate.

During this busy Christmas season our team does a commendable job of handling a high volume of gift card requests. Please also be aware that if there is a tight time frame, or when Canada Post deliveries may be impaired due to pre-Christmas mail traffic, we recommend that you use the on-line gift boutique which has an instant delivery function.

Thank you again for your comments.

Best Regards,

Robert Milling

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We checked in at 4pm with ease and we were allocated room 308 or 309 (top floor) Grand River view with high ceilings, beautiful hardwood floor, queen bed, view of the falls, 2 person Jacuzzi and shower. The room was clean, spacious for the era of the building (great high ceilings) and the room was comfortable (for the exception of the bed that was very soft and we woke up with a sore back).
The Wi-Fi was simply not working; we had 4 different devices and nothing was able to get the Wi-Fi in the room which was located in the middle of the hotel.
We didn't have dinner at the hotel so we can't comment but we walked to a nice place called Chez Eric which was amazing all around.
The breakfast at the Mill was fabulous. The service was warm, friendly and attentive and the breakfast omelettes were delicious. There was a nice self service area for cereal, toast, croissants, juice etc... and the homemade jams were divine. Top notch all around.
We live about 30 minutes away and decided to have a romantic stay-cation and enjoyed it.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the less noise you hear from the falls
1  Thank itsjustlynn
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Just checked in. We were offered, and upgraded to a River Grand Room when we booked last week. We checked in, nothing was said and we walke in to a standard room with only a queen bed, no fireplace or jacuzzi tub. Apparently yet didn't think we would notice. Wrong. So I called the front desk and was basically told that no River Grand Rooms were available. It is basically my problem. Not an auspicious start. Updates to follow (we are paying $650 for this 1 night package, BTW).

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Paid2Fly
MoulinWakefieldMill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments yesterday concerning your room assignment. I did review your room reservation with our Front Office manager this morning. I do regret that that the room you were assigned did not meet your expectations but I am pleased that you found our location and room cleanliness above average. I am also pleased that we offered you a complimentary late checkout in order to better accommodate the Sunday Brunch and two spa treatments that were also included in your package. I gather you are having the two spa treatments as I write this response, and I am hopeful that they meet your expectations.

In terms of the room you were assigned, please be assured it was a River Grand category. The Website description of this category of rooms include "more spacious rooms", "unique cachet" while acknowledging that "each room is different". The room you were assigned is approximately 450 square feet, which is one of the largest in the hotel. It is in the original (circa 1838) part of the mill and features original wood floors, four foot thick stone walls and overlooks the ravine and falls. Moreover, it is the only room in the hotel that still has visible traces of the fire of 1910. The room has a therapeutic jet tub, (though not a full two person Jacuzzi), a queen bed, pull out leather sofa bed, original local art, flat screen TV etc.

I can also assure you that it is not accepted policy nor the practice of our team to misrepresent what we offer -- as the title of your review would suggest.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Best regards,

Robert Milling

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Rooms: There are two main areas where rooms are located; the main building and the Eco River Lodge. From what I saw and heard, the Eco River Lodge rooms have a more contemporary style and this building is the newer addition to the property. The downside is that you have a less attractive outdoor hot tub (it is enclosed by fences, which mar the view of the river), and you have a short outdoor walk to get to the restaurant, bar and spa. Our room was in the main building, and it was rustic and cozy. Hardwood floors, very comfy bed, in-room fireplace and jacuzzi tub were all wonderful. I loved being able to stay indoors when going to the bar and restaurant.

Food: We ate breakfast and dinner in the dining room, as both were included. Breakfast servings were generous and delicious; I recommend the bagel and lox with poached egg! Dinner on the other hand, did not live up to my expectations. The amuse bouche (smoked trout) was terrible, and the appetizers (he had soup, I had salad) were completely tasteless. Main courses were mildly better but certainly not 4 or 5 star dining. The service started out great, but mid-meal (about 8pm) the waiter was slammed and we couldn't get his attention at all. I would recommend taking the short drive, or pleasant walk, to the main drag and try one of the fabulous restaurants in town such as Maison du Village.

Spa: the outdoor hot tub near the spa is wonderful. We spent a good amount of time out there enjoying nature and just relaxing. My husband had a massage and was happy with the service.

Entertainment: the bar area has a fireplace and lots of room to sit and read, board games, and a pool table. The overall feel of the Inn was very cozy and facilitated some much-needed relaxation!

Overall, it was a great weekend and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building with a view of the falls, or a room in the Eco River Lodge if you...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nokes
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I live in Wakefield and have spent many an evening swimming in the warmth of this establishment...Great service (thanks Nick), great Martini's (Thanks Nick) and great atmosphere (Thanks Lynne and Bob)...

Bob and Crew have put together something to talk about...Well done.

So, if you want to get away, spend some romantic downtime with your favourite; self or otherwise...The Mill can satisfy any pallet...Enjoy, I do!

Regards, J Smith (Edelweiss)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hilton Lac-Leamy
#7 of 26 in Gatineau
The Metcalfe Hotel
The Metcalfe Hotel
#20 of 68 in Ottawa

Been to Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!