“Lies”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
Ottawa, Canada
“Lies”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Just checked in. We were offered, and upgraded to a River Grand Room when we booked last week. We checked in, nothing was said and we walke in to a standard room with only a queen bed, no fireplace or jacuzzi tub. Apparently yet didn't think we would notice. Wrong. So I called the front desk and was basically told that no River Grand Rooms were available. It is basically my problem. Not an auspicious start. Updates to follow (we are paying $650 for this 1 night package, BTW).

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Paid2Fly
MoulinWakefieldMill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments yesterday concerning your room assignment. I did review your room reservation with our Front Office manager this morning. I do regret that that the room you were assigned did not meet your expectations but I am pleased that you found our location and room cleanliness above average. I am also pleased that we offered you a complimentary late checkout in order to better accommodate the Sunday Brunch and two spa treatments that were also included in your package. I gather you are having the two spa treatments as I write this response, and I am hopeful that they meet your expectations.

In terms of the room you were assigned, please be assured it was a River Grand category. The Website description of this category of rooms include "more spacious rooms", "unique cachet" while acknowledging that "each room is different". The room you were assigned is approximately 450 square feet, which is one of the largest in the hotel. It is in the original (circa 1838) part of the mill and features original wood floors, four foot thick stone walls and overlooks the ravine and falls. Moreover, it is the only room in the hotel that still has visible traces of the fire of 1910. The room has a therapeutic jet tub, (though not a full two person Jacuzzi), a queen bed, pull out leather sofa bed, original local art, flat screen TV etc.

I can also assure you that it is not accepted policy nor the practice of our team to misrepresent what we offer -- as the title of your review would suggest.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Best regards,

Robert Milling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Ottawa, ON
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Rooms: There are two main areas where rooms are located; the main building and the Eco River Lodge. From what I saw and heard, the Eco River Lodge rooms have a more contemporary style and this building is the newer addition to the property. The downside is that you have a less attractive outdoor hot tub (it is enclosed by fences, which mar the view of the river), and you have a short outdoor walk to get to the restaurant, bar and spa. Our room was in the main building, and it was rustic and cozy. Hardwood floors, very comfy bed, in-room fireplace and jacuzzi tub were all wonderful. I loved being able to stay indoors when going to the bar and restaurant.

Food: We ate breakfast and dinner in the dining room, as both were included. Breakfast servings were generous and delicious; I recommend the bagel and lox with poached egg! Dinner on the other hand, did not live up to my expectations. The amuse bouche (smoked trout) was terrible, and the appetizers (he had soup, I had salad) were completely tasteless. Main courses were mildly better but certainly not 4 or 5 star dining. The service started out great, but mid-meal (about 8pm) the waiter was slammed and we couldn't get his attention at all. I would recommend taking the short drive, or pleasant walk, to the main drag and try one of the fabulous restaurants in town such as Maison du Village.

Spa: the outdoor hot tub near the spa is wonderful. We spent a good amount of time out there enjoying nature and just relaxing. My husband had a massage and was happy with the service.

Entertainment: the bar area has a fireplace and lots of room to sit and read, board games, and a pool table. The overall feel of the Inn was very cozy and facilitated some much-needed relaxation!

Overall, it was a great weekend and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building with a view of the falls, or a room in the Eco River Lodge if you...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nokes
Wakefield, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I live in Wakefield and have spent many an evening swimming in the warmth of this establishment...Great service (thanks Nick), great Martini's (Thanks Nick) and great atmosphere (Thanks Lynne and Bob)...

Bob and Crew have put together something to talk about...Well done.

So, if you want to get away, spend some romantic downtime with your favourite; self or otherwise...The Mill can satisfy any pallet...Enjoy, I do!

Regards, J Smith (Edelweiss)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just returned from the beautiful Inn and Spa. We had a couples massage, beautiful experience, Thank you Shawn and Michelle. John greeted us at Reception and went out of his way to help us get settled in a room right away. The room was in the new Eco River Lodge and was lovely with all the amenities...bright and private at same time overlooking the river. The dinner was to die for, I especially loved the added touches like the Neiges cider liqueur with my Foie Gras appetizer. Breakfast was in the lovely solarium overlooking the falls. Would love to return again and again!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Eco River Lodge are modern and very comfortable, They have their own pool area and hot...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Although the weather wasn't stellar whilst there, we had a great deal of rain, it only brought the stream to life and the rushing water was a soothing relief to our business activities.
The accommodations in the new eco lodge were great, the beds engulfed my sleey body at night! The bar and dining areas are all very relaxed and the staff are friendly and love to chat.
I enjoyed the food immensely.
The small town of Wakefield looked interesting but unfortunately I didn't really have time to visit it, so I'll make sure I leave a little time when next I visit.
Worth the drive up into the Gatineau Hills!

Room Tip: make sure you leave some time to see the sights around the Mill
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We were booked for a weekend last summer and had to cancel last minute.They said they would honor our days paid anytime in the future.A year later we get an email reminding us of our reservation on hold, with the reservation number, and that they would welcome us and honour our reservation any time.
I love good service and can not wait to stay there..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Spent 3 nights there. Food was phenomenal with a wide variety of french cuisine. We had our business meetings in the new facility which had very large windows allowing a lot of natural light in, and the room was well equiped for presentations. Coffee, drinks, and snacks were served throughout with no issues. The room I had had a bathtub right by the window in the living room facing the river. Still very private and no noise heard throughout the night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hilton Lac-Leamy
#7 of 26 in Gatineau
Fairmont Chateau Laurier
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Gatineau-Ottawa
Ramada Plaza Gatineau/Manoir du Casino

Been to Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!