“A relaxing getaway, close to home!”

Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Rooms: There are two main areas where rooms are located; the main building and the Eco River Lodge. From what I saw and heard, the Eco River Lodge rooms have a more contemporary style and this building is the newer addition to the property. The downside is that you have a less attractive outdoor hot tub (it is enclosed by fences, which mar the view of the river), and you have a short outdoor walk to get to the restaurant, bar and spa. Our room was in the main building, and it was rustic and cozy. Hardwood floors, very comfy bed, in-room fireplace and jacuzzi tub were all wonderful. I loved being able to stay indoors when going to the bar and restaurant.

Food: We ate breakfast and dinner in the dining room, as both were included. Breakfast servings were generous and delicious; I recommend the bagel and lox with poached egg! Dinner on the other hand, did not live up to my expectations. The amuse bouche (smoked trout) was terrible, and the appetizers (he had soup, I had salad) were completely tasteless. Main courses were mildly better but certainly not 4 or 5 star dining. The service started out great, but mid-meal (about 8pm) the waiter was slammed and we couldn't get his attention at all. I would recommend taking the short drive, or pleasant walk, to the main drag and try one of the fabulous restaurants in town such as Maison du Village.

Spa: the outdoor hot tub near the spa is wonderful. We spent a good amount of time out there enjoying nature and just relaxing. My husband had a massage and was happy with the service.

Entertainment: the bar area has a fireplace and lots of room to sit and read, board games, and a pool table. The overall feel of the Inn was very cozy and facilitated some much-needed relaxation!

Overall, it was a great weekend and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building with a view of the falls, or a room in the Eco River Lodge if you...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nokes

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I live in Wakefield and have spent many an evening swimming in the warmth of this establishment...Great service (thanks Nick), great Martini's (Thanks Nick) and great atmosphere (Thanks Lynne and Bob)...

Bob and Crew have put together something to talk about...Well done.

So, if you want to get away, spend some romantic downtime with your favourite; self or otherwise...The Mill can satisfy any pallet...Enjoy, I do!

Regards, J Smith (Edelweiss)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just returned from the beautiful Inn and Spa. We had a couples massage, beautiful experience, Thank you Shawn and Michelle. John greeted us at Reception and went out of his way to help us get settled in a room right away. The room was in the new Eco River Lodge and was lovely with all the amenities...bright and private at same time overlooking the river. The dinner was to die for, I especially loved the added touches like the Neiges cider liqueur with my Foie Gras appetizer. Breakfast was in the lovely solarium overlooking the falls. Would love to return again and again!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Eco River Lodge are modern and very comfortable, They have their own pool area and hot...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Although the weather wasn't stellar whilst there, we had a great deal of rain, it only brought the stream to life and the rushing water was a soothing relief to our business activities.
The accommodations in the new eco lodge were great, the beds engulfed my sleey body at night! The bar and dining areas are all very relaxed and the staff are friendly and love to chat.
I enjoyed the food immensely.
The small town of Wakefield looked interesting but unfortunately I didn't really have time to visit it, so I'll make sure I leave a little time when next I visit.
Worth the drive up into the Gatineau Hills!

Room Tip: make sure you leave some time to see the sights around the Mill
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We were booked for a weekend last summer and had to cancel last minute.They said they would honor our days paid anytime in the future.A year later we get an email reminding us of our reservation on hold, with the reservation number, and that they would welcome us and honour our reservation any time.
I love good service and can not wait to stay there..

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Spent 3 nights there. Food was phenomenal with a wide variety of french cuisine. We had our business meetings in the new facility which had very large windows allowing a lot of natural light in, and the room was well equiped for presentations. Coffee, drinks, and snacks were served throughout with no issues. The room I had had a bathtub right by the window in the living room facing the river. Still very private and no noise heard throughout the night.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this property for three nights and three days on a recent business trip. The location is extremely picturesque -- especially when the old mill is surrounded by the vivid Gatineau Fall colours -- with the rushing falls outside the dining room. The room I had was lovely -- well appointed and comfortable, with lots of character, since one wall was that of the old grain elevator. It was however a tad drafty, but that was not of much consequence to me since I only spent my sleeping hours there. The food, however, was the icing on the cake -- in one word, Superb! Every meal was terrific; I had nine of them in three days. Of course, it was all very rich, so one could not manage to keep up that routine for too long. Kudos to the chef and his/her staff -- and also to the wonderful and charming senior server who served us all of our meals. Unfortunately, my business schedule was so rigorous that I had no time at all to experience the lovely spa. Another time ...

My only suggestion for improvement would be that Moulin Wakefield enable its Front Desk staff to offer wake-up calls earlier than 7:00 a.m.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hilton Lac-Leamy
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Gatineau-Ottawa
The Metcalfe Hotel
The Metcalfe Hotel
#20 of 68 in Ottawa

Been to Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!