“Superb resort near Ottawa”

Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
Ottawa, Canada
“Superb resort near Ottawa”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We held out annual executive retreat at the Moulin Wakefield in the lovely town of Wakefield. Every part of the stay (3-1/2 days) was delightful. Rooms can be in the original mill building or the new Eco River Lodge. Both are excellent. In the old mill, half the rooms look over the waterfall. In the new Eco River Lodge, the rooms are larger. Both are modern with every amenity.

The food in the restaurant was generally superb -- creative dishes and beautifully presented. Dinner in a Quebec Inn is the evening's entertainment so be prepared for a 2-3 hour multi-course event. The servers were knowledgeable and saw that anyone's special needs were accommodated.

The grounds are beautifully landscaped and well maintained. It is pleasant to stroll along the river, enjoy the hot tub, or simply sit in the shade and read a book. There are two spas and an outdoor pool.

It is about a ten minute walk into town. The highlight is the Black Sheep Inn -- one of the premier music venues in the Ottawa area. Or, you can walk up the hill through an alpine meadow to the McLaren family (the original owners of the Mill in the 19th Century) cemetery. As you walk into the cemetery, you will see a rock in the ground with the name "Pearson" and an arrow pointing ahead. Following the arrows, you end up at the grave of Canada's Nobel-winning Prime Minister, Lester B. Pearson, standing in the midst of one of the most beautiful views in central Canada.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Richfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Holland
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Great, quiet place to stay. Great ambience, great food and service. There are wellness services, and there is a pool. Although the pool is very small (5 by 8 meter) there is a great hot tub.
Fitness fasilities were disappointing. Some outdated stuf in a barn some hundred meters away from the rooms. Only the toughest cookies will go there when its raining.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We have been to the Wakefield Inn at least 8 times in the last 3 years and we really enjoy the setting, and tranquility. In June this year and many other times at the Inn we stayed in the main building(older part). We've always found the rooms to our liking, cozy, very clean and quiet. I've enjoyed massages, facials, pedicures with a view of the falls. The staff at the spa are very attentive. The food in the dining room is amazing. We also tried the Heron Room and the food was also well presented and very good. Next time around we might just try the “discovery menu” with the wine pairing.

We were back again this past weekend for a one night stay and decided to make a change and book a room in the new part of the Inn (the River Eco Lodge). The room was amazing, the shower was huge and we also had a "private patio" facing a beautiful garden with the LaPêche River just a few yards away. The pool and hot tub were steps away from our room. We are returning again in either August or September and will probably ask for a room in the Eco Lodge. The dinner was again delicious with an “amuse bouche” to start and we were also offered a delicious palate cleanser shooter on the house. My husband had the duck and I had the quail. Both meals were fabulous and well presented. Afterwards we went to the lounge sipped on a B52 coffee, which by the way, was excellent and we played a game of pool. Rooms also feature free WI-FI, cable T.V. Bathroom robes, coffee maker, what would be nice though is if some rooms especially the ones with the private patio would offer a mini-fridge as you are not in the main part of the inn where the bar is located.

The village also has nice, quaint restaurants and very nice boutiques. This Inn is approximately 20 minutes from Ottawa.

Room Tip: In the winter time I would suggest that you ask for a room in the main building of the Inn as the sp...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Deep River, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I booked a 2 night stay at this historic building as a last minute 40th birthday gift for my wife. The website was slightly vague as to what was included in the package, the '2 Night Getaway' package, so with my online booking I booked the 6 part 'Discovery' meal package for one of the evenings. An hour later, one of the staff called me to inform me that the package I booked did indeed include dinners for both nights, and at the time I asked for some special considerations for my wifes birthday, which the staff graciously accomodated.

Upon arrival, our check-in was quick and effortless, and we were quickly ensconced in our room. The hotel itself is lovely, artfully decorated and well maintained, but the only let down we found were some minor details in the room itself. At first glance, the rooms are nice sized, with very comfortable beds and all the standard amenities, however there were some small deficiencies in the bathrooms, namely a couple of cracked tiles and some peeling grout. That being said, this was the ONLY detraction we noticed.

We then went down for our first night meal, which was in the upstairs Heron Lounge. This was absolutely the best meal I have had in a long time, the freshness of all the ingredients (the majority of which were sourced locally) and the perfect combination of flavours blew my wife and I away. The service was a bit slow but it was well worth the wait! After dinner we watched the wimbledon and listened to the lounge-piano-man tinkle the electronic ivories. The bar staff were exceptional and courteous, and I drank the Brasseurs-des-Temps Carpe Diem beer while the wife had a selection of sorbets.

Breakfast was billed as a 'country breakfast' which I understood to be your bog standard 'continental breakfast', ie your usual pastries, fruit, toast and coffee. We went down to the restaurant and were surprised with a full menu breakfast along with a buffet table of cereals/pastries/fruit. Breakfast was equally as delicious as dinner!

The next day my wife had a massage in the morning and pedicure in the afternoon, which she said were wonderful, with attentive spa personnel, a beautiful view of the falls, and a relaxing and soothing atmosphere. I entertained myself with a coffee and newspapers in the very comfortable and cozy bar.

Dinner the second night was the Table d'Hote service in the main restaurant, which again was delicious and excellently prepared, the only let down being a slightly longer wait for service, but as they were busy I understood. The last day we had a brunch buffet which was excellent, as evidenced by how popular it was, if you want to have a quiet breakfast make sure you go early!!

All in all, a delightful and excellent gem hidden away in the Gatineau hills, which offers great value and excellent customer service in a historic building.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Eco-Lodge are a short walk from the main building, ask for a main building room. The wi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank edwadleigh
MoulinWakefieldMill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your thoughts. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your room, meal and spa treatments. We look forward to having a chance to host you again in the coming months!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I seem to have a thing for historic Inns, as this is another one that I stayed in recently. It was converted from an old mill and it is literally steps from the stream and waterfall that once was used to generate the power to run the mill. My room was in the original building but was large and modern inside with a vaulted ceiling and a huge bathroom with a jetted tub. My window overlooked the waterfall and the forest and the waterfall was so loud that I had to partially close my window.

They have a swimming pool and hot tub that are located across the road by the newer building. The map to find the swimming pool is not at all helpful and desk clerk's directions were not that clear either. Some of my colleagues were in the newer building and they were also pleased with their rooms. There is a spa on the property and another hot tub that overlooks the waterfall that is wonderful.

We were a group of 20 there for a meeting. Breakfast service was a little slow, but serving 20 people all at once can be a bit challenging. We had one supper at the hotel and the food was gourmet to the max. I had the lamb tartar to start and could have easily just eaten that.

Overall it was a great place to hold a meeting, except for the very poor cell service and hit and miss wifi. If they want more small groups to hold meetings there, that is an issue they will need to attend to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving us your comments. We pride ourselves on our meeting and conference facilities and are always very pleased to receive feedback about our offerings.

Concerning the cell service, we are aware that some people experience trouble connecting to certain networks (depending on the carrier). We have recently installed new cell phone boosters in both buildings which have helped tremendously. We also offer free WIFI service throughout the hotel which I am surprised that you experienced as “hit and miss” as it is usually quite stable. We do understand how important a reliable network is to meetings and events and are constantly striving to improve the network connections.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to us.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Only one employee at the front desk to greet us. I had to wait 20 minutes to be able to check in: she was answering the phone to take reservations. The keycard was not working so I had to go back to the lobby and wait again...
The room was clean and nice. Very large bathtub. I didn't have a good sleep because the mattress was too soft and the air conditioner was so noisy!
They have a restaurant led by a talented Chef. The service team is professional and friendly. I recommend the Discovery Menu. Breakfast with many natural choices is great as well.
We will be returning to the restaurant, not the hotel.

Room Tip: At the Mill, ask for a room facing West to get the view on the river. If you prefer a more modern de...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eric L
MoulinWakefieldMill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I am very pleased that you enjoyed our signature discovery menu and that you found the rooms and bathrooms nice and clean. I do apologize for the delay you experienced at check in. We have two staff at reception during the daytime check-in period seven days a week. Normally, that is more than sufficient for a hotel of our size. Occasionally a large group will arrive at once and slow down the process somewhat. I also apologize for the inconvenience you experienced regarding your room key. The key card system is two years old, and industry leading...I do apologize that it appears to have become deprogrammed, but I can assure you it is a very rare event.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We bought a voucher on travelzoo for 2 nights at this Auberge for our wedding anniversary and we had a lovely time. Quite often when you buy rooms at rebate price you are treated like a 2nd class citizen but not there, staff was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Eco River lodge part of the auberge and the room was totally amazing! HUGE room, with a big shower and a separate bath. There was a gas fireplace, it was all very romantic. We were alone in the spa everynight we were there. We also tried the restaurant, although pricy, it was delicious. And we also got massages which were great too. We went skying in Gatineau park nearby, the hotel sells daily passes at the front desk. We enjoyed our time there very much and will go back for sure!

Room Tip: Eco River Lodge are awesome
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sonianna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hilton Lac-Leamy
Brookstreet Hotel
#17 of 67 in Ottawa
Byward Market Area
Andaz Ottawa Byward Market

Been to Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!